Maybe Ralph isn't cheap after all

C.Biscuit97

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/news/

The Bills, the source said, are willing to offer whatever salary is necessary to land a high-end candidate such as Shanahan and would give him total control of the football operation, something Wilson has generally been opposed to doing in the past. Adding to the job’s attractiveness, according to the source, is the fact the team is in solid financial shape and not burdened by any dead salary-cap money.

“This is his (Wilson’s) last coach and (he) is going to do everything it takes to get it right,” the source said of the 91-year-old owner.

Obviously, it's speculation but it's nice to hear. Especially from Vc, who is close to the situation.

Personally, I never got the Ralph is cheap crap. He always pays players if they handle their business the right way (though maybe not always the right ones). As for coaches, I think he is just stubborn and trust his gut too much.

Either way, after the last decade, I don't think he should settle for anything less than a proven NFL winner. God knows Ralph, the fans, and the city of Buffalo deserve a winner. Here's to hopefully something big!!! :thumbsup:

I think he realizes this might be his last head coach hire and wants to go for broke...which is good to hear, meaning the latter and not the former.

Just think, Wilson is gonna have to pay Jauron the rest of this year and then the next 2, till 2011. AND a big name coach is not going to come cheap, at least 5 million a year.

From what I'm hearing / reading he wants to leave his fans base happy and get someone in Buffalo that can get the fans a trophy

Guest dog14787

Obviously, it's speculation but it's nice to hear. Especially from Vc, who is close to the situation.

Personally, I never got the Ralph is cheap crap. He always pays players if they handle their business the right way (though maybe not always the right ones). As for coaches, I think he is just stubborn and trust his gut too much.

Either way, after the last decade, I don't think he should settle for anything less than a proven NFL winner. God knows Ralph, the fans, and the city of Buffalo deserve a winner. Here's to hopefully something big!!! :thumbsup:

I'll second that :wallbash:

i'm calling it right now, and i hope i am wrong: there's no way ralph cuts a deal with shanahan. he is a miser at heart and that's not going to change.

somebody made a (very funny) joke about loving ralph's new meds in another thread...and i think chemical alteration of his brain is our only hope. the "real" ralph would never ever do it.

and then what happens if he skips a dose? he sobers up and says...."I PAID HIM WHAT?!"

this is ralph wilson we're talking about...i think we're getting all excited over nothing. if he really cared THAT much, it never would have gotten to this point.

i'm calling it right now, and i hope i am wrong: there's no way ralph cuts a deal with shanahan. he is a miser at heart and that's not going to change.

somebody made a (very funny) joke about loving ralph's new meds in another thread...and i think chemical alteration of his brain is our only hope. the "real" ralph would never ever do it.

and then what happens if he skips a dose? he sobers up and says...."I PAID HIM WHAT?!"

this is ralph wilson we're talking about...i think we're getting all excited over nothing. if he really cared THAT much, it never would have gotten to this point.

bull ****. This is Ralph's last coach. He's going to spend the money. About the only place he's ever skimped was in coaches salaries, and I think he's seen the error of his ways. All the money he spends on the team now will only increase the franchise's value exponentially. He's more concerned about the value of the franchise to his heirs than the yearly cash flow. Anybody that doesn't think he wants to win a SB before he goes is nuts.

ahahaha...you're thinking like a person who's not senile old miser.

so you're telling me that all of a sudden he sees the practical sense of paying big $$ to a guy like shanahan after all the nickel-and-diming of the past five years? yeah right.

we'll see. once again, i hope you are correct and i'm wrong.

He didn't get Donahoe cheap. Or Chuck Knox the second time.

He spends time to time.

Either way, after the last decade, I don't think he should settle for anything less than a proven NFL winner. God knows Ralph, the fans, and the city of Buffalo deserve a winner. Here's to hopefully something big!!! :wallbash:

C.Bis, I love your unbridled enthusiasm, and ability to spin everything positively. Let me know when you move out from under that rock your living under...I need to improve my attitude! :unsure::thumbsup:

so you're telling me that all of a sudden he sees the practical sense of paying big $$ to a guy like shanahan after all the nickel-and-diming of the past five years? yeah right.

On a personal note - I have a feeling that the death of his daughter has affected him more than we can possibly imagine. Maybe things are different this time around.

Sounds promising. Vic knows his stuff, especially when it comes to the Bills. This is what we've all been hoping for, here's hoping it comes to fruition.

From Adam Schefter yesterday:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the Buffalo Bills have contacted and are in the process of arranging a meeting with, former Denver Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan, according to two NFL sources. Shanahan is said to be willing to listen to the Bills and has said in the past that he is determined to return to the NFL next season. But there are other candidates at or near the top of the Bills wish list. For now, the Bills have appointed their former defensive coordinator Perry Fewell as their interim head coach.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sportscenter/post/...-cup-qualifiers

Just the fact they are setting up a meeting with Shanahan is exciting, the only other team that would jump ahead of Buffalo and worry me is the Redskins, although they seem to be currently enamored with Jon Gruden.

From Adam Schefter yesterday:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the Buffalo Bills have contacted and are in the process of arranging a meeting with, former Denver Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan, according to two NFL sources. Shanahan is said to be willing to listen to the Bills and has said in the past that he is determined to return to the NFL next season. But there are other candidates at or near the top of the Bills wish list. For now, the Bills have appointed their former defensive coordinator Perry Fewell as their interim head coach.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sportscenter/post/...-cup-qualifiers

Just the fact they are setting up a meeting with Shanahan is exciting, the only other team that would jump ahead of Buffalo and worry me is the Redskins, although they seem to be currently enamored with Jon Gruden.

I am thinking he ends up in Dallas, assuming Wade doesn't save his job this year. Jerry Jones and Shannahan are friends. Dallas has a few more pieces in place than Buffalo, but, we shall see... I like Shannahan a lot too.

I'll admit to this one being a bit of a stretch, but since the team needs a GM and a big time coach, couldn't hiring a GM/coach be a money saving move? I don't think that's what they're going for here, but I'm kind of curious as to how the money would differ between hiring a coach AND GM vs. hiring one man to fill both roles.

:w00t:

...Just think, Wilson is gonna have to pay Jauron the rest of this year and then the next 2, till 2011. AND a big name coach is not going to come cheap, at least 5 million a year.

That estimate is a bit low. I would guess that Shanny would be 7-10 million a year.

so you're telling me that all of a sudden he sees the practical sense of paying big $ to a guy like shanahan after all the nickel-and-diming of the past five years? yeah right.

"nickel-and-diming of the past five years?"

I think you give Ralph too much credit

he has spent big money to bring on a proven NFL coach exactly once in 50 years (not 5).

not likely he changes those miserly ways with the Bills setting season ticket sales records with bad (and cheap) coaches like Dick in charge

expect a lot of talk and hype about the Bills chasing several of the big names for the remainder of the season to keep the fans stoked with hope.

Reality will be another inept coach hired to coach the crappy talent acquired by the clown show front office which will remain intact

Either way, after the last decade, I don't think he should settle for anything less than a proven NFL winner. God knows Ralph, the fans, and the city of Buffalo deserve a winner. Here's to hopefully something big!!! :lol:

CB97 here is my problem...show me, dont tell me in regards to Wilson. PROVE you are going to spend it by actually spending it. We have heard all this bull **** before, all talk. I am really praying I am wrong this time.

CB97 here is my problem...show me, dont tell me in regards to Wilson. PROVE you are going to spend it by actually spending it. We have heard all this bull **** before, all talk. I am really praying I am wrong this time.

I understand 100% where you're coming from and your thought process is the most honest one. It probably isn't great to get your hopes up for a big name coach when we'll end up with somone like Jim Haslett. But here are my reasons for optimism and why I think the Ralph is cheap/ doesn't care about winning thoughts are BS.

1) He's always spent on players. Maybe not always wisely, but money has never been an issue for the most part going back to the late 80s.

2) Ralph was a very hands off owner during the Polian years. Then supposedly Polian called his daughter a see you next tuesday. Can't fault Ralph on that if it is true and I would have tried to break his face if I was Ralph. But he gave Polian every resource he needed to get the job done.

3) Ralph decided to give full control to TD, the top personnel guy on the market. We obviously know how that turned out.

As much people want to think Williams and Mularkey were cheap hires, that's complete BS. They were very hot, upcoming coordinators. This year, they are getting head coaching buzz again. That's very telling. Some of the top teams in the NFL (Steelers, Colts, Saints, Vikes, Ravens, Bengals, Broncos) are being coached by first time head coaches and former coordinators. So it is complete BS to say Ralph was cheap about hiring here. We just hired the wrong guys.

4) After the TD fiasco, Ralph decided to just go in the opposite way and go with someone he trusted in Marv. When Jauron was hired, it was a terrible market for a head coach. And after 2 first year wash out head coaches, he want a proven NFL head coach. Jauron had similar qualities to Levy and with a Coach of the Year award was arguably more accomplished before Levy joined the Bills. It was a gut hire in a crappy market.

Furthermore, with the ill fated contract extension, Jauron was middle of the pack in coaching salaries. So I really don't know how people can say Ralph is cheap considering what he paid DJ despite his record.

This is my bottomline. I truly believe Ralph wants to win and give us a winner. He just doesn't know how and has had bad luck. However as much as we moaned the Jauron contract extension, it maybe the best thing to happen to this franchise. If we fired DJ last year, we may have another unproven first year head coach right now. Instead, we have the jump in arguably the greatest FA head coaching market ever. Sometimes, it is better to be lucky than good.

As a Bills fan, all we have is hope. And I truly am buying the hype that Ralph is going to go all out for a winner. There are no excuses anymore and he isn't getting any younger. Go Bills!!!

C.Bis, I love your unbridled enthusiasm, and ability to spin everything positively. Let me know when you move out from under that rock your living under...I need to improve my attitude! :lol: :lol:

I'm just a glass half full type person. I have insane amount of love for this team that I jsut have to cling to any hope. Plus, I'm in my late 20s. So I have seen the Bills as a dominate team for half of my life and a bad one for the other half. Give me another decade like this one, I'll be the most bitter Bills fan on the planet.

2) Ralph was a very hands off owner during the Polian years. Then supposedly Polian called his daughter a see you next tuesday. Can't fault Ralph on that if it is true and I would have tried to break his face if I was Ralph. But he gave Polian every resource he needed to get the job done.

Cultural Note: In Australia and New Zealand, men use the word mentioned here to insult one another more often than they use the word d*ck. It has absolutely none of the power it has here. Just wonder if anyone here knew that.

Secondly, if that is all Bill Polian did (and remember, this was not some cute little baby girl Bill insulted, but in fact, one of his staff who, for all intents and purposes, WAS a "see you next tuesday"), Ralph needed to forget about it and walk away, or, indeed, get his daughter off Bill's staff, knowing what kind of magic this guy was doing for his franchise and how you don't reward that kind of effort by firing him in favor of your effing DAUGHTER, for God's sake.

END RANT

ralph might be cheap in terms of getting quality coaches and GM's in here but he has never been cheap in terms of spending money on players....he paid kelly, bruce, andre etc..why do you think the bills were in cap hell when Donahoe came here?!?!?! because he spent money. He paid TKO, he paid Fletcher, he's brought in FA's...it's not like we are at the bottom in terms on player salary...I've never gotten the ralph ios cheap thing its just a myth and something for ignorant people to B word about

ralph might be cheap in terms of getting quality coaches and GM's in here but he has never been cheap in terms of spending money on players....he paid kelly, bruce, andre etc..why do you think the bills were in cap hell when Donahoe came here?!?!?! because he spent money. He paid TKO, he paid Fletcher, he's brought in FA's...it's not like we are at the bottom in terms on player salary...I've never gotten the ralph ios cheap thing its just a myth and something for ignorant people to B word about

I'd agree. Cheap is not the right word for him.

Meddling would better.