Bills sign QB Brian Brohm

Bash_Gash

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The guys is worth a shot. He is young and his college career was much better than Edwards.

Trent Edwards - 4,693 yards and 32 TD's

-2004 0 300yrd games

-2005 1 300yrd game

-2006 0 300 yrd game

Brian Brohm - 10,775 yards and 70 TD's

-2005 5 300yrd + games

-2006 6 300yrd + games

-2007 7 300yrd + games (3 of those over 400 yrds and 1 over 500 yrds)

Sounds like he has a bit of a sack problem and an earlier article mentioned checkdowns (which sounds way to familiar) but maybe he just needs a change of scenery. Can't be any worse than Edwards, Fitz or Hamden.

Actually based on preseason stats he was a lot worse then Fitz and Hamdan and barely better then Edwards:

G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost

4 0 32 48 66.7 427 8.9 1 2 1 7 84.3 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 Hamdan

5 1 48 71 67.6 459 6.5 1 2 4 16 78.3 4 10 2.5 0 1 1 Fitzpatrick

4 0 39 62 62.9 300 4.8 0 3 5 29 54.5 6 6 1.0 0 0 0 Brohm

4 4 26 38 68.4 189 5.0 0 3 5 28 46.9 3 28 9.3 0 1 1 Edwards

Actually based on preseason stats he was a lot worse then Fitz and Hamdan and barely better then Edwards:

G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost

4 0 32 48 66.7 427 8.9 1 2 1 7 84.3 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 Hamdan

5 1 48 71 67.6 459 6.5 1 2 4 16 78.3 4 10 2.5 0 1 1 Fitzpatrick

4 0 39 62 62.9 300 4.8 0 3 5 29 54.5 6 6 1.0 0 0 0 Brohm

4 4 26 38 68.4 189 5.0 0 3 5 28 46.9 3 28 9.3 0 1 1 Edwards

I saw a number of his games his senior year in Louisville. For what its worth I really was not impressed with him even in college. I was surprised he was projected by some analysts as a first round pick. He obviously has not (yet) given any indication of transitioning to the pros. I would not expect anything but... nothing ventured.

Brian Brohm came to Green Bay as a rookie needing development. It hasn't happened. He still looks like a rookie.

He is not a fast decision maker yet. The one thing the guy needs is lots of nurturing and confidence building.

The Packer would have liked to keep him as their 3rd QB even though he was only worth a practice squad spot.

The comparisons to Craig Nall are not valid. Craig Nall was a much more polished and accomplished QB who had some good NFL performances. Nall had greater arm strength.

Brohm is none of that.

Brohm really doesn't have an NFL arm to throw a ball very deep. He doesn't have the zip on the ball to get it into tight spots. He is still learning the game. Instead of making plays he is concerned with not making mistakes.

Without an NFL arm, he lacks confidence to make the throws he should make. He really has some psychological problem with being able to throw the ball with confidence.

If he had ability you would not be getting him so cheap. The odds of success are about 10-15%. 50-50 if he completes the 2 year contract as a Bill.

Based on these biographies, he seems like a Trent clone. Good move to bring someone in, but my expectations are low.

I can't believe I am excited about Bills football at 10:15PM on a Wednesday night. I wouldn't have called this a possibility a week ago.

Brohm was great at Louisville, he has a much stronger arm then Edwards. I don't know about his footwork, though I seem to remember him having some escapability and running ability in college. And at least he has gotten twoe years to ride the pines and develop.

I really liked him in college, but that doesn't mean he can play the pro game. We shall see, can't hurt getting him for nothing. Why haven't the Bills thrown Hamden in there? Oh yeh, Jauron just got fired...

He is not a fast decision maker yet. The one thing the guy needs is lots of nurturing and confidence.

Without an NFL arm, he lacks confidence to make the throws he should make. He really has some psychological problem with being able to throw the ball with confidence.

When was the last time the Bills successfully nurtured a young QB? Has it ever happened? Kelly doesn't count -- he was a veteran pro the day he got here.

Putting a guy with a lack of confidence behind the worst OL does not sound like the best situation for Brohm or the Bills.

Green Bay fan perspective...

"When the Packers drafted Brian Brohm in the late second round last year, there was a mini surge in BROHMania. Predictions flew that Rodgers was no good and that the Packers took Brohm because they didn't have confidence in Rodgers... according to posters on this site and others, Brohm would be the starter in GB before the end of Rodgers' first disastrous season. Only, Brohm couldn't beat out Matt Flynn, taken in the 7th round of the same draft. Packers fans, and no-doubt Packers coaches, watched with amazement as Brohm could not grasp the pro game or pro speed. He appeared to hesitate on every throw, suffered from happy feat, overthrew receivers frequently and seemed unable to throw any kind of spiral. He wound up buried on the depth chart.

This spring, there was no talk of Brohm replacing Rodgers, but there was considerable excitement that Brohm might be able to come out, shake of an unexpectedly poor rookie season and re-establish himself as a potential NFL starter. Visions of Matt Hasselbeck returned and there was optimism that Brohm could at least wind up as solid trade-bait. But by the end of camp, he had shown no measureable improvement from the previous year. Some started saying that he'd be a good candidate to be released by the Packers. When that did happen, not one team of the other 31 claimed him. The Packers signed him to the practice squad, but that should not be confused as a sign that the Packers thought he was likely to turn it around. Had they had that opinion, they never would have cut him. Brohm made sense on the practice squad only because he already knew the Packers offense, not because they envisioned him as a starter. In fact, due to injury, the Packers had plenty of opportunity to elevate Brohm, but instead chose to sign such big names as WRs Jake Allen and Biren Ealy.

The fact that Brohm sat on the Packers practice squad for 2 months before being signed by an NFL team tells you all you need to know about his chances of making it as an NFL starter anytime in the immediate future."

• 3 weeks later...
You obviously do not know what you are talking about and have never seen the guy play in exhibition season at the NFL level.

You have blind hope that a practice squader will start for your team!! Stupid.

The points about not watching GB preseason games and having blind hope are both true. Not sure the 'stupid' part is true given our two alternatives who have a 0% chance of being good along with a 0% shot at the playoffs this year.

I'm not going to say Brohm can't be worse, because he could be. I doubt he has the playbook down pat. Yet I cannot think of a single good reason not to start him in KC next week. You can tell me why that's stupid.

When was the last time the Bills successfully nurtured a young QB? Has it ever happened? Kelly doesn't count -- he was a veteran pro the day he got here.

Putting a guy with a lack of confidence behind the worst OL does not sound like the best situation for Brohm or the Bills.

Joe Ferguson---...wow---didn't even think of it til you mentioned it. Kelly had a couple yrs in USFL and was already practically a star...

Flutie already an old pro...Bledsoe old pro... RJ,JP ,TRENT,COLLINS...Bills are a disaster at nurturing young QBs.

We haven't nurtured a good young QB since 1973---36 years ago..lol