Kelly basically throws Edwards under the bus

dave mcbride

http://www.wgr550.com/twobillsdrive/5707138

"I know Trent very well we always pull for him we always pull for good guys who work very hard and are smart but the thing is it just hasn’t worked out. I think that is one position they have to move on and really look whether it is in the draft coming up or I even looked across the board of free agency –there isn’t much out there. There might be a couple. We might have to go through something again if we decide to draft another quarterback and part ways with Trent Edwards.”

Trent, we hardly knew ye! He's basically announcing that he's getting cut with a year left on his contract. Pretty harsh criticism for a guy who may still play some this year (and who played at least decently for much of the game v. the Titans). I obviously don't think he's the future, but given that it's essentially coming from the team, it's pretty harsh. It ain't called the "not for long" league for nothing ...

Then, in all honesty why don't you just throw the kids in the game in 4th Qs if they get blown out? I'd really like to see if Hamdan has anything.

And I'll keep harping on this, but Brooks Bollinger looks really good in UFL. Granted it's the minor leagues, but the guy has dominated the minor league.

"I know Trent very well we always pull for him we always pull for good guys who work very hard and are smart but the thing is it just hasn’t worked out. I think that is one position they have to move on and really look whether it is in the draft coming up or I even looked across the board of free agency –there isn’t much out there. There might be a couple. We might have to go through something again if we decide to draft another quarterback and part ways with Trent Edwards.”

Trent, we hardly knew ye! He's basically announcing that he's getting cut with a year left on his contract. Pretty harsh criticism for a guy who may still play some this year (and who played at least decently for much of the game v. the Titans). I obviously don't think he's the future, but given that it's essentially coming from the team, it's pretty harsh. It ain't called the "not for long" league for nothing ...

He is afraid that TE is making his pal AVP look bad. AVP is way over his head and doesn't know how to design plays. He is using Jauron's Pop Warner style of offense 6 PLAYS

He is afraid that TE is making his pal AVP look bad. AVP is way over his head and doesn't know how to design plays. He is using Jauron's Pop Warner style of offense 6 PLAYS

Really?

He was just really lighting it up, wasn't he?

Then, in all honesty why don't you just throw the kids in the game in 4th Qs if they get blown out? I'd really like to see if Hamdan has anything.

And I'll keep harping on this, but Brooks Bollinger looks really good in UFL. Granted it's the minor leagues, but the guy has dominated the minor league.

Warner did great things in the AFL and ya see what he did in the NFL. Also, Maddox

rejuvenated his career in the XFL and might have played longer if he wasn't injured.

"I know Trent very well we always pull for him we always pull for good guys who work very hard and are smart but the thing is it just hasn't worked out. I think that is one position they have to move on and really look whether it is in the draft coming up or I even looked across the board of free agency –there isn't much out there. There might be a couple. We might have to go through something again if we decide to draft another quarterback and part ways with Trent Edwards."

I don't see that as harsh criticism. He says complimentary things about TE but that it's not working out. I think that's pretty much the opinion of most fans.

Re Bollinger, can he throw? My dim recollection of rare appearances in Jets' games is that he didn't have much of an arm. Has he improved to the point where he can be more than a backup? If not, he'd have to supplant Fitzpatrick, which I don't see happening.

Get a life dude, I like Trent Edwards, but Kelly was only stating the obvious. Any QB who an organization even thinks once about starting Ryan Fitzpatrick over, has no future as an NFL starter. Fitz maybe the worst QB to start a game in the NFL in years.

Kelly wasn't saying that it could never happen with Trent. Just that it hasn't happened yet. And he's right. But no way you can say that he has no future, though he hasn't showed it so far.

Re Bollinger, can he throw? My dim recollection of rare appearances in Jets' games is that he didn't have much of an arm. Has he improved to the point where he can be more than a backup? If not, he'd have to supplant Fitzpatrick, which I don't see happening.

He doesn't have a Losman's arm :lol: But in the action that I've watched he throws a decent 15-yd out. Part of it is being on by far the best team in the UFL, but more importantly he hasn't made many mistakes in the games, kept the offense moving and scored in the red zone. Comparing his throws to Fitzpatrick - I'd give the upper hand to Bollinger now.

Get a life dude, I like Trent Edwards, but Kelly was only stating the obvious. Any QB who an organization even thinks once about starting Ryan Fitzpatrick over, has no future as an NFL starter. Fitz maybe the worst QB to start a game in the NFL in years.

"Get a life dude?" How many times do you hear teams (and Kelly essentially does speak for the team) say they're going to probably cut a guy that 70 days earlier was regarded as a potential franchise QB? If they do change their tune that quickly--which, by the way, I do think is justified in the case of Edwards--they usually couch it more diplomatically, especially since they're going to have to play him if Fitzpatrick gets hurt (a real possibility given the state of their line and the opposition they'll be facing--John Abraham, Dwight Freeney, etc.--in the next few weeks). When's the last time you heard Belichick or Polian or Reid (or their spokespeople) make that sort of pronouncement on the local loudmouth radio station?

Fitz isn't even close to the worst QB to start in the NFL in years.

Guest dog14787
No one will ever know about Trent until he moves on from this joke of a franchise. TE will be glad the moment he leaves.

Sad, but true...

Guest dog14787
Hamdan didn't play well in the 4th qtr of pre-season games. Do you know how bad that is? The only reason he made the team and occupied a roster spot better served by a back-up o-lineman is he was TE's friend.

Hamdan looked horrible in preseason against 3rd stringers and shouldn't even be on the sidelines in my opinion.

Then we have a guy like Graham Harrell who doesn't even make an NFL roster.

Guest dog14787
I'd love for him to stay in the AFC East, so we can all monitor his progress closely.

lol, I bet you would :lol:

A polite way of saying he sucks, I know whats on your mind Push...

Have you explained this theory to Derek Anderson? :lol:

"Get a life dude?" How many times do you hear teams (and Kelly essentially does speak for the team) say they're going to probably cut a guy that 70 days earlier was regarded as a potential franchise QB? If they do change their tune that quickly--which, by the way, I do think is justified in the case of Edwards--they usually couch it more diplomatically, especially since they're going to have to play him if Fitzpatrick gets hurt (a real possibility given the state of their line and the opposition they'll be facing--John Abraham, Dwight Freeney, etc.--in the next few weeks). When's the last time you heard Belichick or Polian or Reid (or their spokespeople) make that sort of pronouncement on the local loudmouth radio station?

A lot can happen in 70 days.

how exactly does Kelly "essentially speak for the team"?

Well, he's clearly a confidant of Wilson and Brandon, and he's close friends with AVP. (He also writes for the team's website and is often on the team's sideline.) Plus he's *always* hovering around the team and is apparently in the mix (at some sort of level) in a possible succession plan. He speaks as much for the team as Brandon does, that's for sure.