The Compelling Case for Mike Leach as Head Coach

The Senator

So Mr. Wilson finally swallowed that bitter pill and jettisoned Dick Jauron - by all accounts a fine a decent man, but a disaster as the Bills head coach.

Now Ralph has a glorious opportunity to demonstrate why he's in the NFL Hall of Fame by hiring the next great NFL head coach, and it will be a marketeer's dream-come-true for Russ Brandon. The man is, of course...

Mike Leach - Talks Football, Global Warming, and Madonna

The logic:

1) Mike Leach is unquestionably one of the most innovative minds in football, an offensive genius with a record of success as OC and HC at Oklahoma and Texas Tech - particularly with QBs, but also receivers - and a resume that includes stints as defensive coordinator, o-line coach, and qb's coach. If you want to turn the Bills offense around 180-degrees (and that's what needs to be done), Leach is your guy.

2) Leach is a marketeer's dream - after 3.5 ( :lol: ) years of the soporific Dick Jauron, Mike Leach will provide some comic relief to go with his overwhelming competence, and will be one of the most sought-after interviews in all of sports. Ralph and Russ need to create some buzz to ameliorate the undercurrent of ill-will that will no doubt manifest itself at season-ticket renewal time - Mike Leach is 'instant buzz'; just add water.

Want to see you're team's head coach featured on...

or

Buffalo has not embraced a head coach since Marv Levy, with the possible exception of Wade Phillips - Leach would be a huge hit here in The BuffTown. Just imagine Leach doing the weather on the 6 o'clock news...

3) He's affordable, and available. Yeah, he just signed an extension at TT, but being the Pepperdine Juris Doctor he is, managed to get the buyout clause removed, and he's making less than Jauron was/is being paid as the Bills head coach. And there are rumors that Louisville is looking to lure him away from Lubbock.

Of course, all that is secondary to winning, which is all Leach does. He has a no-nonsense approach and tolerates no slackers - I guarantee there'd be no coddling of players, no indoor practices in inclement weather...

"As coaches, you put pressure on yourself to improve, because ultimately the blame lies there,” Leach said. "Anybody that’s not on board, you get rid of them. It doesn’t matter if it’s a player or a coach or somebody in the background… if they’re not on board, you get rid of them.”

Someone's gonna lure this guy to the NFL, Russ/Ralph - don't let it be the Dolphins, the Jets, or - God-forbid - the Cheatriettes*! Belichick? Smellichick! This is Mr. Wilson's opportunity to hire the genius that will put the Bills on a lasting, winning track, and show the whole football world why he's in the Hall of Fame!

Time to 'find your inner pirate', Ralph. Swing your sword.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

REVERSE THE CURSE!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Mr. Wilson finally swallowed that bitter pill and jettisoned Dick Jauron - by all accounts a fine a decent man, but a disaster as the Bills head coach.

Now Ralph has a glorious opportunity to demonstrate why he's in the NFL Hall of Fame by hiring the next great NFL head coach, and it will be a marketeer's dream-come-true for Russ Brandon. The man is, of course...

The logic:

1) Mike Leach is unquestionably one of the most innovative minds in football, an offensive genius with a record of success as OC and HC at Oklahoma and Texas Tech - particularly with QBs, but also receivers - and a resume that includes stints as defensive coordinator, o-line coach, and qb's coach. If you want to turn the Bills offense around 180-degrees (and that's what needs to be done), Leach is your guy.

2) Leach is a marketeer's dream - after 3.5 ( :lol: ) years of the soporific Dick Jauron, Mike Leach will provide some comic relief to go with his overwhelming competence, and will be one of the most sought-after interviews in all of sports. Ralph and Russ need to create some buzz to ameliorate the undercurrent of ill-will that will no doubt manifest itself at season-ticket renewal time - Mike Leach is 'instant buzz'; just add water.

or

Buffalo has not embraced a head coach since Marv Levy, with the possible exception of Wade Phillips - Leach would be a huge hit here in The BuffTown. Just imagine Leach doing the weather on the 6 o'clock news...

3) He's affordable, and available. Yeah, he just signed an extension at TT, but being the Pepperdine Juris Doctor he is, managed to get the buyout clause removed, and he's making less than Jauron was/is being paid as the Bills head coach. And there are rumors that Louisville is looking to lure him away from Lubbock.

Of course, all that is secondary to winning, which is all Leach does. He has a no-nonsense approach and tolerates no slackers - I guarantee there'd be no coddling of players, no indoor practices in inclement weather...

"As coaches, you put pressure on yourself to improve, because ultimately the blame lies there,” Leach said. "Anybody that’s not on board, you get rid of them. It doesn’t matter if it’s a player or a coach or somebody in the background… if they’re not on board, you get rid of them.”

Someone's gonna lure this guy to the NFL, Russ/Ralph - don't let it be the Dolphins, the Jets, or - God-forbid - the Cheatriettes*! Belichick? Smellichick! This is Mr. Wilson's opportunity to put the Bills on a lasting, winning track and show the whole football world why he's in the Hall of Fame!

GO BILLSSS!!!!

REVERSE THE CURSE!!!!! :rolleyes:

Steve Spurrier lite

no indoor practices in inclement weather...

haha...well he probably wasn't dealing with too much snow/rain in Texas :unsure:

Anyway, he's an interesting possibility. I don't think it would ever happen though.

Leach is in Lubbock, it rains mud there. Lubbock gets cold too and snow isn't completely uncommon.

I like Leach, I like watching the Red Raiders (lose...ha ha, hook 'em), seriously I like watching the red raiders, UT v. TT is always a favorite of mine to watch. I would be behind Leach 100%.

haha...well he probably wasn't dealing with too much snow/rain in Texas :unsure:

Anyway, he's an interesting possibility. I don't think it would ever happen though.

lotta wind in lubbock - but he probably had worse wind and freezing cold in Oklahoma, where he was offensive coordinator under bob stoops

The only way Ralph will get people in the seats next year is to sign a big name coach in my opinion. I am not much of a college football guy so i have no idea who Mike Leach is. I believe there are alot of people like me.

If Ralph is smart he will spend the money to get a Mike Holmgren, Mike Shanahan, etc... to breath some life back into the fan base. It's what they did with TO last year and it worked wonders.

I personally want Mike Shanahan. He went to Superbowls, numerous playoffs, groomed a few QB's, always had rock solid Offensive Lines. He only weak point is defense. Hopefully he will be smart and turn over defense like Mike Mccarthy did in Green Bay and switch to a 3-4.

I agree with the Senator on this one. In fact I was touting Leach as a dark horse candidate when Jauron was hired. (winners being a somewhat better bet than losers). If Leach is on the outs at Texas Tech I could see him as head coach or as offensive co-ordinator. He has the mindset and experience that would work with a team that has little talent and a need to adapt.

The Senator: I'm on board. The dude has passion for the game (something I never saw in Jauron) and will DEFINITELY be entertaining in the post game interviews. The Bills haven't had success getting former head coaches or coordinators either, so I really don't know why they should avoid college coaches. "But Spurrier and Carrol!" Yeah, and Weis had problems going the other way. Evaluate the guy on who he is, not who they were.

Dumbest comparison I ever heard. Spurrier had a sh*tty work ethic. He eschewed the typical NFL coach's long hours for the golf course and, in the end, actually wanted out of his gig as Redskins' coach.

Interesting, unbalanced offense that is not suited for the NFL - check

No experience anywhere near NFL - check

Quirky, likable personality - check

Great fit for CFB - check.

How many times must this be posted to label it as a crusade, which is clearly is?

But it's an entertaining, well-mannered, and non-retarded crusade, which differentiate it from the vast majority of crusades. The rule was undoubtedly drafted to stop boring, offensive/adversarial, and retarded crusades -- the admins probably weren't contemplating the Pirate Campaign.

The logic:

2) Leach is a marketeer's dream - after 3.5 ( B-) ) years of the soporific Dick Jauron, Mike Leach will provide some comic relief to go with his overwhelming competence, and will be one of the most sought-after interviews in all of sports. Ralph and Russ need to create some buzz to ameliorate the undercurrent of ill-will that will no doubt manifest itself at season-ticket renewal time - Mike Leach is 'instant buzz'; just add water.

or

Someone's gonna lure this guy to the NFL, Russ/Ralph - don't let it be the Dolphins, the Jets, or - God-forbid - the Cheatriettes*! Belichick? Smellichick! This is Mr. Wilson's opportunity to hire the genius that will put the Bills on a lasting, winning track, and show the whole football world why he's in the Hall of Fame!

GO BILLSSS!!!!

REVERSE THE CURSE!!!!! :unsure:

not a terrible idea, he'd prob be a good fit as O-coordinator if not HC.

NO !@#$ING WAY!

I don't want to see some college clown offense in Buffalo, NY. Run the ball and play good D in the Northeast.

You don't think he'd switch things up a bit moving into a different league?

Stop with your gay facsination with LEACH!

Come now KollegeStudnet, lets keep this above the belt.