Fewell PC at 8:30

KCNC

Let's keep things in perspective here. Fewell was a position coach for about 5 years at the college level, and a DB coach in the NFL for 7 years before Dick hired him as DC. Since Dick is a defensive-oriented coach, he presumably had a lot of say in how the defense was run. So Fewell's experience is limited to say the least.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's keep things in perspective here. Fewell was a position coach for about 5 years at the college level, and a DB coach in the NFL for 7 years before Dick hired him as DC. Since Dick is a defensive-oriented coach, he presumably had a lot of say in how the defense was run. So Fewell's experience is limited to say the least.

Yep, I wish him well but as he said "We are who we are".. a team responsible for Cleveland's only 2 victories in 20 games.

Will he win a game this year....no, but I think he'll keep them close.

There's 2 things Fewell can do to impress the hell out of me.

1. Tell AVP to take the training wheels off. Run trick plays, flea flickers, and the most bizarre formations he can dream up. We've got nothing to lose and everything to game.

2. Act like he's in control of the team, win or lose.

"Play like hell and win." OK, then.

Not that we should be expecting him to have all the answers, but he seemed like a guy caught with his shorts down. Which is probably about the size of it.

As far as what he's going to do with the offense ... what the heck can he do? The trading deadline has passed. He has no QB. He has almost nobody left on the offensive line. The running game is mostly anemic. The passing game sucks. The offensive coaching staff is a mess. Is putting in a new offense at this point going to help anything? "We are who we are" indeed. Basically, yes, it is the people that put this together that deserve the kudos for it.

Unfortunately for Dick, he never fell into a George Seifert (with the 49ers) sort of position where he could just hold the tiller nice and steady while the ship just sailed itself under his feet into the sunset. Oh well. Split milk.

If this were Dallas or some other big market team, the PC would be on ESPNews and the NFL Network. Glad to see they aren't interrupting bball highlights or NFL replay for our little Bills presser.

Yeah the lack of attention for the Bills is annoying for sure.

"Play like hell and win." OK, then.

Not that we should be expecting him to have all the answers, but he seemed like a guy caught with his shorts down. Which is probably about the size of it.

As far as what he's going to do with the offense ... what the heck can he do? The trading deadline has passed. He has no QB. He has almost nobody left on the offensive line. The running game is mostly anemic. The passing game sucks. The offensive coaching staff is a mess. Is putting in a new offense at this point going to help anything? "We are who we are" indeed. Basically, yes, it is the people that put this together that deserve the kudos for it.

Unfortunately for Dick, he never fell into a George Seifert (with the 49ers) sort of position where he could just hold the tiller nice and steady while the ship just sailed itself under his feet into the sunset. Oh well. Split milk.

Amazing how everyone hears what they want to hear. I thought Fewell made good answers and made them without hesitation...a good sign IMO. Others think he's a deer in the headlights. We'll see Sunday. At least my interest in this game is back.

PTR

On offense, I hope he can instill some discipline to reduce the penalties. Hopefully, he looks at personnel and determines maybe we take a look at a James Hardy or a Shawn Nelson. Maybe he has a little fire on the sideline rather than standing there with his arms crossed after the 5th straight 3 and out.

"Play like hell and win."

Amazing how everyone hears what they want to hear. I thought Fewell made good answers and made them without hesitation...a good sign IMO. Others think he's a deer in the headlights. We'll see Sunday. At least my interest in this game is back.

I didn't mean to imply he sounded like an idiot or anything and I wasn't "wanting to hear" anything. :unsure:

He's a very sharp guy, very poised, and quite confident. I like him, actually. Still, he didn't really say dick. Some coach-speak and some non-committal end-arounds when asked about some of the obvious problems.

If you think he's going to have this entire thing turned around by Sunday, you're a total idiot. How's that for hearing what you want to hear? :rolleyes:

God forbid we win games :rolleyes: In case you haven't noticed, most of the top NFL teams are coached by guys who are first-timers. Complete unkowns before they were hired. You can't tell me Fewell might not be a great coach because he never did it before.

PTR

Why do you want this team to win meaningless games? The advantage to a 3-13 season as opposed to 6-10 is that the former gives us a shot at some of the elite talent in this draft. The advantage to the 6-10 season is . . . ?

As far as the first-timer thing, I don't have a problem with hiring a really good offensive or defensive coordinator to be the head coach. But I'd want it to be one of the league's best coordinators. I don't put Fewell into that category. His style of defense is quite vulnerable to short-to-intermediate passing plays over the middle; as well as to "death by a thousand small cuts" type offenses. That vulnerability hasn't been exposed that much this season because we've faced some really lousy quarterbacks. Derek Anderson. Vince Young (a good runner, but . . .). That QB from Tampa. A rookie QB in Sanchez, and a second year QB in Henne making one of his first career starts. Even in the Patriots game, their lack of offensive success early on was because they made mistakes they don't usually make. Inaccurate passes, dropped catches, etc. Once the Patriots offense got rolling, there was nothing our defense could do to stop it. Or even slow it down.

Fewell hasn't shown himself proficient at devising clever defensive strategies, the way you'd expect from a Bill Belichick or a Dick Lebeau. Quite frankly, the last thing this team needs is another secondary coach-turned second-rate defensive coordinator becoming our next head coach! :unsure:

Why do you want this team to win meaningless games? The advantage to a 3-13 season as opposed to 6-10 is that the former gives us a shot at some of the elite talent in this draft. The advantage to the 6-10 season is . . . ?

As far as the first-timer thing, I don't have a problem with hiring a really good offensive or defensive coordinator to be the head coach. But I'd want it to be one of the league's best coordinators. I don't put Fewell into that category. His style of defense is quite vulnerable to short-to-intermediate passing plays over the middle; as well as to "death by a thousand small cuts" type offenses. That vulnerability hasn't been exposed that much this season because we've faced some really lousy quarterbacks. Derek Anderson. Vince Young (a good runner, but . . .). That QB from Tampa. A rookie QB in Sanchez, and a second year QB in Henne making one of his first career starts. Even in the Patriots game, their lack of offensive success early on was because they made mistakes they don't usually make. Inaccurate passes, dropped catches, etc. Once the Patriots offense got rolling, there was nothing our defense could do to stop it. Or even slow it down.

Fewell hasn't shown himself proficient at devising clever defensive strategies, the way you'd expect from a Bill Belichick or a Dick Lebeau. Quite frankly, the last thing this team needs is another secondary coach-turned second-rate defensive coordinator becoming our next head coach! :unsure:

I liked Fewell demeanor and style and I hope he wins 5 games, gets to hire some quality and experienced coordinators, stays on as HC and leads the Bills to a better tomorrow next year.

Seriously.

I liked Fewell demeanor and style and I hope he wins 5 games, gets to hire some quality and experienced coordinators, stays on as HC and leads the Bills to a better tomorrow next year.

Seriously.

Jack Welch described a case where he hired a guy based on an absolutely mind-blowingly good performance that guy had in his job interview. It was probably the best individual performance Welch had ever witnessed in an interview.

A few years later, Welch had to fire the guy due to poor performance.

The lesson he learned from that is that it's not good to put too much confidence in an interview. Evaluate a person by the results he's produced.

I haven't seen/heard the clip of Fewell accepting the interim head coach position. Maybe he sounded great. But looking strictly at his performance as a defensive coordinator, I would not like to see him as the Bills' next head coach. Or even their next defensive coordinator, for that matter.

Jack Welch described a case where he hired a guy based on an absolutely mind-blowingly good performance that guy had in his job interview. It was probably the best individual performance Welch had ever witnessed in an interview.

The lesson he learned from that is that it's not good to put too much confidence in an interview. Evaluate a person by the results he's produced.

I haven't seen/heard the clip of Fewell accepting the interim head coach position. Maybe he sounded great. But looking strictly at his performance as a defensive coordinator, I would not like to see him as the Bills' next head coach. Or even their next defensive coordinator, for that matter.

He has been hamstrung by DJs awfulness. Benefit of the doubt I am giving him

According to ESPN this morning, he coached in the college ranks for 13 seasons, and the pros for another dozen. That's a generation in my book, and worthy of a look see.

According to ESPN this morning, he coached in the college ranks for 13 seasons, and the pros for another dozen. That's a generation in my book, and worthy of a look see.

Well watching this press conference I didnt have the need to yell either shut up or spit it out Dick. Dick had no clue and his press conference put us to sleep. I think win or loose this is a good change. Now go out and make them practice hard Coach Perry!

I don't care what this guy has to say. He has the worst rushing defense in the league. He had two weeks to prepare his defense for Chris Johnson and Vince Young and he failed miserably. What makes this guy give you any confidence he can turn the rest of this team around? Give me a break. He's all talk.

Just wondering a few things. Since Dick Jauron was supposedly a defensive-minded coach. Do you think that he played a huge part in giving players to Fewell or do you think Fewell had some sort of say?

I'm curious on that because we know that both our "GM" and Jauron made some dumb draft picks and non-moves in FA. Maybe they ran the show more than we know.

I do like this guys intensity and fire, hopefully it will be one part of the Bills finally winning games again. Our beloved team no longer coming across as a bunch of push over pansies. Bringing that edge back into the Ralph.

Isn't this the story of Tom Donahoe and Gregggggg Williams?

Well if Fewell has so much power why did they fire Dick Jauron? A coordinator still has to answer to the head coach. We don't know how much of this was Fewell or limp Dick?

PTR