why the gloom???

dave mcbride

The Bills are now ahead of the Titans in draft order. Other good developments yesterday:

KC won, so if the Bills lose to KC, they should move ahead of the Chiefs in draft order too.

The Rams are getting it together. They're probably the Bills' biggest competitor for whoever the best QB prospect is, and if they start winning, they could end up with an equal or better record than the Bills. Since they have a new coach, I expect them to play even harder as the season goes on.

TB is getting better, and should have won yesterday. I'm not too concerned about them because they spent a first round pick on a QB last year.

The Redskins won and now have the same record as the Bills. They'll be looking for a QB and LT next year.

Not that I thought the Bills would ever end up with a better record than the Panthers, but they did beat Carolina and presumably hold a tiebreaker advantage over them. It was nice to see Carolina win.

If I had to project draft order right now, the Bills could end up around #5 - behind Detroit, Cleveland, Tampa, and Oakland. If they end up with a better record than the Rams, it puts them at 6. If they beat the Chiefs, they're at 7/8. They really, really need to hope for the Rams to improve and they also need to lose to the Chiefs.

The problem, of course, is that often, #4-#6 gets you a guy like Levi Brown, Curry (Seattle), or Mike Williams rather than the player they desperately need: a QB.

The positive is while the team hasn't given up, they do look like they have no faith in themselves. Plus their depth looks terrible. That means a) that the coach will be indicted (no faith in themselves); b) the front office will be indicted (lousy personnel); and c) there will be a run for the bus in the final quarter of the season. I think there's a better-than-even chance now that the front office/coaching staff will be blown up. If they can somehow manage to get into the top 3 in draft order, they should be able to get a top-flight QB plus a solid LT/RT prospect at the beginning of round 2. My concern is that 4-12 (which is where I fear they'll end up) puts them at #5-#7.

I'm not denying that the Bills need a QB, but until the offensive line is fixed, it wouldn't matter if you had Tom Brady or Peyton Manning back there. Not to mention the fact that even competent franchises find it difficult to acquire decent QBs in the first round of the draft. Of course, drafting offensive tackles isn't necessarily a gimme either, for this franchise.

But sometimes there is a sure-fire player (although I don't know enough to say if that's the case next year). Carson Palmer, Payton Manning, and Eli Manning -- all were drafted #1 and the teams that got them are happy that they did. I'm not saying that there isn't a chance of a bust. Moreover, the Bills aren't going to get the #1 overall pick, so it's kind of a moot point. In general, better players are available earlier, all things considered.

My guess is the Bills land in picks 3-5. They will most likely have to take a LT or QB that high.

rooting for draft picks is just plain ignorant

No more ignorant then supporting a crappy product blindlessly in fear of losing the team. The only good thing we have going for us as Bills fans is our loyalty and it's being exploited at this point.

I see your point though. Rooting for draft picks on THIS team is ignorant...

rooting for draft picks is just plain ignorant

I used to think like you, but I woke up and smelled the coffee. Being stuck in the 10-13 spot year after year means you generally get a players slightly below blue chip. In the long run, that means a team with no true studs. Crazy enough, there is not one stud on the entire Bills team (excepting TO, who despite getting open constantly hasn't produced much (not all his fault, of course)). The only blue chips who drop into the 10-30 range are generally the supertalented guys with personal issues (Moss, Percy Harvin, etc.). The Bills tend usually steer clear of them.

For an example, look at the Ravens team of 2000 -- it was loaded with top ten picks.

I read your post, and I agree that the Bills should draft a QB. Will they make a good choice, or will they end up with another bust like Flowers or Williams? What does the last 10 years indicate?

I would love for them to draft Tebow. But I doubt they will draft a QB and I'm sorry to say that I doubt that this staff will make an intelligent choice, no matter what player or numeric position they draft.

Tebow is a winner - which this desperately needs.

unfortunately, he has horrible mechanics to throw the ball in the NFL. He drops the ball to his waist or lower when he winds up to throw which has resulted in numerous fumbles

His first instinct is to run which would be great if the team was commited to the spread offense and you wanted your QB to be knocked out by the mid-way point.

Instead the Bills will probably take Bradford consistent with their time honored philosophy of taking the most injured guy possible who has a huge question mark of ever recovering.

that or take some turd coached by Mack Brown

PARTICULARLY when rooting for a dysfunctional team that would only waste them anyway.

Not if you think that the front office will be new next year. I have no evidence indicating that this will happen, but I do have a gut feeling. That's what my hope is based on. If you can't root for that, what's the freaking point of even paying attention at this point?

Tebow is a winner - which this desperately needs.

unfortunately, he has horrible mechanics to throw the ball in the NFL. He drops the ball to his waist or lower when he winds up to throw which has resulted in numerous fumbles

His first instinct is to run which would be great if the team was commited to the spread offense and you wanted your QB to be knocked out by the mid-way point.

Instead the Bills will probably take Bradford consistent with their time honored philosophy of taking the most injured guy possible who has a huge question mark of ever recovering.

that or take some turd coached by Mack Brown

Jim Kelly missed his senior season because of a shoulder injury. I wouldn't read too much into Bradford's injury -- he should be fine in the long run.