Another week.....

Thoner7

Sorry to beat this dead horse, but I feel this pick is just a microcosm of what is wrong with the Bills.

Orakpo had another 1.5 sacks today (thats 1.5 more than the entire Bills roster today) meanwhile Maybin has done nothing but disappoint. The number of guys out performing him is just astounding. Orakpo, English, Barwin, Brown, Johnson, they are all playing more and actually rushing the passer on better teams with better defenses and showing NFL level strength and athletism. I know this is just 10+ years or frustration but come on - who actually thought Maybin was any good in college let alone the NFL. Such a disgrace. As if it needs to be said again, but we really need to clean house.

And we have Jairus Byrd. 31 other teams passed on him so they are all idiots now. It all evens out.

PTR

Sorry to beat this dead horse, but I feel this pick is just a microcosm of what is wrong with the Bills.

Orakpo had another 1.5 sacks today (thats 1.5 more than the entire Bills roster today) meanwhile Maybin has done nothing but disappoint. The number of guys out performing him is just astounding. Orakpo, English, Barwin, Brown, Johnson, they are all playing more and actually rushing the passer on better teams with better defenses and showing NFL level strength and athletism. I know this is just 10+ years or frustration but come on - who actually thought Maybin was any good in college let alone the NFL. Such a disgrace. As if it needs to be said again, but we really need to clean house.

Exactly how many reps did Maybin get this week compared to Orkapo?

And the horse passed dog chow a while back

And we have Jairus Byrd. 31 other teams passed on him so they are all idiots now. It all evens out.

PTR

No I disagree, Byrd was a good job of scouting but no one could predict how he would pan out moving positions. Passing on Orakpo was such a moronic move there is no excuse acceptable - especially not "well we made up for it later" That is equal to saying "McCargo was not a bad pick because we took K. Williams later" 31 other teams passed on him 5 times.

PS How many picks Byrd would have right now if we had a pass rusher averageing just under 1 sack per game opposite Schobel? 12+?

Exactly how many reps did Maybin get this week compared to Orkapo?

And the horse passed dog chow a while back

3rd round pick DE Michael Johnson is getting plenty practice reps, as well as plenty playing time. And he's been effective. Orkapo is getting starts. Later draftees Cushing, Matthews, Maualuga are getting starts and press ink thanks to their performance.

When I invoke TBD and don't log in, I often see a site named "Buy AaronMaybinGear.com" or some such in the ad box after the OP.

I can't imagine a team that isn't giving their top pick adequate practice time. They have to - if only that they have try and make sense of the $ they forked over.

It's just not possible to get around the fact that he shows nothing yet. He even failed to garner his usual 1 credited tackle per game against TEN.

You expect that a #11 DE can contribute something, especially one touted as having that "lightning-quick" first move. My understanding is that NFL tackles are flicking him away as easily as a booger they pick out of their nose.

Perhaps he's a late bloomer affected by his $ holdout...we'll see if a full camp next year helps him.

3rd round pick DE Michael Johnson is getting plenty practice reps, as well as plenty playing time. And he's been effective. Orkapo is getting starts. Later draftees Cushing, Matthews, Maualuga are getting starts and press ink thanks to their performance.

When I invoke TBD and don't log in, I often see a site named "Buy AaronMaybinGear.com" or some such in the ad box after the OP.

I can't imagine a team that isn't giving their top pick adequate practice time. They have to - if only that they have try and make sense of the $ they forked over.

It's just not possible to get around the fact that he shows nothing yet. He even failed to garner his usual 1 credited tackle per game against TEN.

You expect that a #11 DE can contribute something, especially one touted as having that "lightning-quick" first move. My understanding is that NFL tackles are flicking him away as easily as a booger they pick out of their nose.

Perhaps he's a late bloomer affected by his $ holdout...we'll see if a full camp next year helps him.

:lol:

but...our guy has the quickest first step of any DE in the draft! He looked ripped in the pre-draft pics we saw....Let me just look at the stat line from yesterdays game....uh huh...hhhhmmmmm, must be a mistake, no tackles, nothing....must be a mistake, I have read too many times, this guy is not a bust...right?

I think it is completely fair to, at this point in the season, give Maybin some harsh criticism. Regardless of how long he held out, he should be making some plays.

At the same time, those of us who watched Maybin in his 2 pre-season games were quite impressed. Yes, he performed against much lesser competition than the starting Tackles he is no facing, but he still showed he is capable. I don't think we can oversimplify here and say the guy is a bust simply because of his poor stats.

I say this for 3 main reasons

1) It is pretty clear what his struggles are watching him on tape. He simply has no other move than trying to go around the Tackles. No Tackle in the NFL is going to have a tough time stopping Maybin from going around him when he knows what is coming. If he develops a move inside and still is struggling, I will call him Erik Flowers 2.0 just like everyone else.

2) Our D-Line has struggled mightily for a good long while. I suspect not all of this has to do with the personnel and the coaching is at least part to blame. It is no coincidence that we have seen certain D-lineman leave the Bills and flourish on other teams (Hargrove, Bannan to name two). The only two capable pass rushers on this team in the past 10 years have been Marcellus Wiley and Schobel. No linebackers aside from maybe Spikes were capable of pass rush. So I mean, yes, I think Maybin is raw and we were not in the market for a raw DE this offseason. But, part of me has to believe good coaching could fix some of these poor techniques he is using.

3) The guy is a good fit as an outside linebacker in the 3-4. At least that is how I see it. There is a chance he is a bit too tall and lanky for that role, but it makes sense from a skill set vantage point.

I'll wait until next season to see if the coaches can figure out a way to use him. He is obviously a good athlete. There is always a place for that on a football team. But, I understand the frustration about him as a 1st round pick, especially in comparison to who we could have drafted.

The season is lost...convert Maybin to LB and see what he can do for Gods Sake.

Problem is he has absolutely no background at that position. It does require some technique to play OLB in the NFL after all. Hard to learn at the highest level. Even as a DE he started only part of one year. And he is known to be limited even as a DE - was never good against the run to begin with- and likely would be lost in coverage as a LB. What a mess.

As a project Michael Johnson was a much better pick - and he went in the third round (and if you believe Mayock that was about right).

Yep.....maybe the fans should run the draft because we'd have Oher or O-Sack-Po.

You know I used to be in the camp that the fans are fans and that we should let the people who get paid for this do their job. But now I honestly think that 80% of this board could run this team better. It's very sad actually. It honestly seems like this team is being sabotaged at this point. I don't think that I would have a job if I performed the way the FO has performed over the last few years. Im sure most of us would be out of work if we constantly failed like this team has failed. It seems odd that we can see what the team needs better then anyone in that front office has been able to. I don't honestly don't understand what is going on here unless we are being set up to be sold or worse yet moved. I love my Bills but not at the expense of it changing my personality anymore. I have real problems in a real world and the Bills are very low on my priority list at this point, so I'm trying to look at it as more of an outsider then I've been since I became a fan 25 or so years ago. It's a sad state of affairs when a message board can run an organization better then the people paid for it. RW has made his product not matter to anyone other then the people who love it. I know there are Wilson worshipers here but if he isn't setting this team up then he just doesn't care anymore. I don't know which is worse quite honestly....

You know I used to be in the camp that the fans are fans and that we should let the people who get paid for this do their job. But now I honestly think that 80% of this board could run this team better. It's very sad actually. It honestly seems like this team is being sabotaged at this point. I don't think that I would have a job if I performed the way the FO has performed over the last few years. Im sure most of us would be out of work if we constantly failed like this team has failed. It seems odd that we can see what the team needs better then anyone in that front office has been able to. I don't honestly don't understand what is going on here unless we are being set up to be sold or worse yet moved. I love my Bills but not at the expense of it changing my personality anymore. I have real problems in a real world and the Bills are very low on my priority list at this point, so I'm trying to look at it as more of an outsider then I've been since I became a fan 25 or so years ago. It's a sad state of affairs when a message board can run an organization better then the people paid for it. RW has made his product not matter to anyone other then the people who love it. I know there are Wilson worshipers here but if he isn't setting this team up then he just doesn't care anymore. I don't know which is worse quite honestly....

I used to laugh at this notion....but as unlikely as the thought once was, there is some truth in this. At the very least - how many of us would have done any worse than Marv or the current regime? Granted - rounds 4 and up go to the scouts and who knows who we would have taken, but the first three rounds....I could not imagine doing much worse.

Instead of putting Scott at LB why not put Maybin there???

They make Byrd a FS.....check

They make Wood a Guard...check

They make Levetre a Guard...check

They make Maybin sit the bench at a position where he cant help the team....FAIL

i was bummed out till i saw your avatar BUFCOMMENTS!

oh yeah back to football talk.

Instead of putting Scott at LB why not put Maybin there???

They make Byrd a FS.....check

They make Wood a Guard...check

They make Levetre a Guard...check

They make Maybin sit the bench at a position where he cant help the team....FAIL

byrd is the bomb!!!!!!!!!!!

i love this guy. he has great hands and a great run after the int. maybe he should give t.o. a lesson or two. ouch.

It might really help if Dick would let Maybin play. I would hate to take that chance because the other team may run all over us? oh wait.. they already do. Does anyone really want to take a chance on sitting Chris "I need a raod map to the backfield" Kelsay.