Someone needs to show this to Maybin

Thoner7

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"physical freak of nature".

Pssh.

More like physical user of dianabol, HGH, etc.

Why because he was acomplete workout warrior in college.

Take a look as Orakpo as a freshman, compared to a sophmore, junior and then senior...

He put on that muscle slowly over those 4 years with complete dedication. If he was using all of that junk he would have been caught by now, and if he quit in time for his NFL career his bulk would have melted away on him.

Orakpo was and is the real deal and the Bills ---cked up when they passed on him.

Heck the Bills screwed up when they didn't make a play for Oher instead of Maybin. the fact is the Bills had no use for a project player and yet that's what we have a player who will make little to no contributions to this team for 2-3 years

I think maybin would be fine for most teams, and I think he has huge potential. But I just don't trust the bills developing him for the next 2-3 years. We will ruin what he could have been. We need players that can succeed in spite of our coaching.

Agree. The number 11 pick in the draft should make an immediate impact. Looks like another waste for the Bills. He riminds me of Eric Flowers........LOL!

??????!!!!????? What the hell are you all talking about. The norm for DE's is that they take longer to develop than other positions. 11th pick or 1st-doesnt matter. There are so many techniques they need to learn playing against bigger and faster tackles than they have ever faced in college.

I mentioned a while back if he got 4+ sacks I would be overly impressed. Look at Mario Williams for gods sake. His rookie year statisticly was 'bad'...and everyone labeled him a bust. I know you all want instant gratification-but some players take more time to develop.

Dont mean to single you out Azucho98...but good lord; some of you make me feel retarted after reading your posts.

PS- Not saying he is the next Williams either....just using him as one of many examples of first year DE's taking longer to develop

I know that I am just a fan and all but even I knew not to draft Maybin.

The guy was a backup LAST YEAR and then falls into the starter roll after Maurice Evans gets suspended.

Of his 12 sacks, 5 came from games against Coastal Carolina, Syracuse, and Temple. Not a whole lot of NFL level talen there. Come to think of it, you can probably say the same about his Big 10 schedule.

I have a friend that went to Penn St, follows them religiously & the day before the draft I met him at a bar & I will never forget what he told me. He said "I do not care what they do, all I know is I hope to god that they do not waste their first round pick on maybin."

The first round draft pick should be a no brainer starter. Maybin is a project on a team that needs starters. The FO should have taken Orakpo who is a beast or Oher where we have big need. Either position is a big need for us. It's stupid moves like this that keep us in the basement.

Orapko...Oher...or other available picks at positions of need who are making an immediate impact, like Brian Cushing, Larry English (who is being groomed to replace Meriman) and many others... the best "developmental" player in the draft was Michael Johnson, and he went in the third round. Maybin's selection with the first pick caused us to have a good draft, but not a great one.

Ill admit Maybin is athletic, but he does not play physical enough. Here is a short clip that Maybin needs to see of just a simple bull rush with force. It takes athletic ability and power to be successful. I know its an Orakpo vid but I dont want this to come off like a "we should have taken Orakpo" thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AglSpWWkGbE...feature=related

I wonder if the Bills coaches are addressing this obvious weakness in Maybins game. My guess is no.

I was so excited at the time because Michael Oher was still available, and we drafted Maybin. Instead of an undersized defensive end <cough> eric flowers <cough> we could have had our LT for the next 10 years. WTF!? :pirate:

I think maybin would be fine for most teams, and I think he has huge potential. But I just don't trust the bills developing him for the next 2-3 years. We will ruin what he could have been. We need players that can succeed in spite of our coaching.

Which leads me to my next theory...and notice I said theory as in I THINK.....it is getting irritating how folks are stating things as fact when in fact it is really just their opinion. I dont think my opinion is any better then anyone elses but I wont state it as fact over and over again like some of the obsessed people do around here......

Aaron Maybin was a pick for the future.....Kelsay might have played horribly enough to change that and Maybin hopefully will start when we are completely out of the playoff picture but he still was a investment pick.

IMO the statement about this coaching staff possibly ruining Maybin is a valid one.......which now even more then ever I think this coaching staff was going to be gone after this upcoming year. Whoever decided on that pick (and decided to start rookie OG's from day one) didn't do this for DJ's benefit.....if anything these were picks to his DETRIMENT.

This coaching staff is gone after this year.....and Maybin IMO is a big part of the future plan......and by that time Wood, Levitre, and Bell will have a season under their belt.

Orapko...Oher...or other available picks at positions of need who are making an immediate impact, like Brian Cushing, Larry English (who is being groomed to replace Meriman) and many others... the best "developmental" player in the draft was Michael Johnson, and he went in the third round. Maybin's selection with the first pick caused us to have a good draft, but not a great one.

Very good post. I often think to myself "I wonder where Maybin would have been selected if we passed on him?"

My guess is not before Everette Brown, so like 44th or later. Potentially not till after Michael Johnson as well. Some idiots like Kiper and McShay liked Maybin, but other - and IMO more knowledgeable - guys like Mayock had him as his 5th best rated LB. Fifth!

Orakpo is a physical freak of nature. He benches around 550lb and squats 400lb+. That explains his ability to bullrush. Maybin surely doesn't have strength like that.

Are you sure you don't have those numbers flipped? If he can bench 550 his squat would probably be 700ish if not more. I know that Donald Brown, the former UConn running back now on Indi, squatted 600 in college. I remember they said Travis Henry could bench 500 in his prime, so I could see Orakpo doing 550. But his squat has got to be much much higher I'd imagine.

I thought your video was going to show Orakpo making a play.. Maybin desperately needs to get stronger this offseason and add more "natural" strength - not packing on 30 pounds of muscle just to look good at an NFL combine. The reason why Schobel can play at 243 pounds and make a decent amount of plays, is that he is "country" strong, natural strength. Maybin looks as though he plays with no power...

very very true. Schobel's 243 is real strength not weightroom show muscle. Maybin looks like a puffed up safety.

I was so excited at the time because Michael Oher was still available, and we drafted Maybin. Instead of an undersized defensive end <cough> eric flowers <cough> we could have had our LT for the next 10 years. WTF!? :pirate:

LOL. We already had our LT for the next 10 years. What makes you think we would draft another one and have to pay them premium LT money by the time they became that good? In life, at BEST, you get what you pay for. The Bills are always trying to get more than they pay for and CONSTANTLY let probowlers and stars leave for "greener" pastures.

Teams like New England make intelligent choices deciding between a Richard Seymour or a Vince Wolfork. The Bills?....we just let anyone of any value go. OUR choices are Jason Peters vs...well...nobody. Pat Williams vs.....well......nobody. Antowaine Winfield....vs ....nobody. On and on and on and on!

It's just the last time that we did it the front office somehow got "some" of the people to side with them and make it the player's fault.

very very true. Schobel's 243 is real strength not weightroom show muscle. Maybin looks like a puffed up safety.

My biggest problem with Maybin at this point is not his physical strength (even though it definately has to improve)

it is his lack of secondary pass rush move when OT's ride him outside.......he just swims up field hoping he can work his way back to the QB.....

This is where "leverage and technique" come into play......he needs to be able to set up OT's with the first step quickness then be able to spin back to the QB.

LOL. We already had our LT for the next 10 years. What makes you think we would draft another one and have to pay them premium LT money by the time they became that good? In life, at BEST, you get what you pay for. The Bills are always trying to get more than they pay for and CONSTANTLY let probowlers and stars leave for "greener" pastures.

Teams like New England make intelligent choices deciding between a Richard Seymour or a Vince Wolfork. The Bills?....we just let anyone of any value go. OUR choices are Jason Peters vs...well...nobody. Pat Williams vs.....well......nobody. Antowaine Winfield....vs ....nobody. On and on and on and on!

It's just the last time that we did it the front office somehow got "some" of the people to side with them and make it the player's fault.

I think we have recovered from any DB that has left because we draft so many......letting Pat Williams go set this team back a bunch

My biggest problem with Maybin at this point is not his physical strength (even though it definately has to improve)

it is his lack of secondary pass rush move when OT's ride him outside.......he just swims up field hoping he can work his way back to the QB.....

This is where "leverage and technique" come into play......he needs to be able to set up OT's with the first step quickness then be able to spin back to the QB.

Correct observation. He is 5 yards up field in the blink of an eye. Only problem is the QB steps up in the pocket because there generally is no pass rush or push to pressure the QB up the middle.

I think Maybin would be better suited for OLB given his size and long arms. The problem is he would be a better fit as a 3-4 OLB and we run a 4-3. One undersized DE is fine in Schobel, but two undersized DE on the field at the same time gets you pushed around. It's sad when the other teams WR is bigger than our DE.

Soooo many idiots.

Maybin is a project pick that has limited playing experience and came out of School early to boot. Please do not expect miracles in year one or compare him to more traditional draft picks.

After year 3 we should be able to make an accurate judgement on him.

If you want to criticize something, make it the front office for selecting him instead of a more serious need.

yeah i can tell you right now what the judgment will be: BUST. another one...