Notre Dame and Clausen

zazie

There was a big gap in talent between the Brady Quinn years up until now. Clausen came in as a starter in his true freshman season and in no seson has he gone 1-11. They were 3-9 his Fr. year, 7-6 last year, and are now 6-3 this year. They'll end up with 9 or 10 wins and Clausen has taken huge strides forward every season. The defense has been crap under Weis. They just don't have the talent on that side of the ball, or on the OL, to be competitive with the top tier teams or even the mid level teams at points. These are the kids stats over his NCAA career http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/players/j...562?season=2009 and look how the # of INT's have dramatically dropped between this season from last. It takes time to rebuild a program and ND is headed in the right direction, IMO. They just aren't there yet. So get your facts straight and come up with a better, more plausible arguement. <_<

You can make all the excuses you want for ND, but claiming they need time to rebuild the program is a joke. In Weis' first season they were a BCS team. What are they rebuilding from, his bad stewardship after that? I'm not a ND hater, I just have no respect for them because they are greatly positioned to succeed and seldom do. Clausen is not an exceptional QB, he hasn't shown the "it" qualities that you want in a franchise QB. There were about a half dozen plays Clausen didn't make in that game that could have swung that game to ND.

We shouldn't have to. Especially if we go with your logic and base him off of his brother or stats that are made up.

5 years should be enough, you are right. He will have made it by then if ever.

Made up stats? 1-11 and 3-9 is the same thing for Notre Dame football. I guess you are an Irish fan, getting your new college game loser mentality ready?

Clausen is good, and is one of the most NFL ready out of the college QB's this year. If he was available in the second round, which I doubt, then I'd seriously consider him.

which is what I said in my original post.

5 years should be enough, you are right. He will have made it by then if ever.

Made up stats? 1-11 and 3-9 is the same thing for Notre Dame football. I guess you are an Irish fan, getting your new college game loser mentality ready?

Loser mentality? Yes, ND has not been good for the past 5-10 years. Program as a whole is outstanding.

YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT

138 245 1254 56.3 5.12 44 7 6 35 103.85

2008 268 440 3172 60.9 7.21 69 25 17 21 132.49

2009 209 308 2770 67.9 8.99 88 20 3 18 162.89

Projected 279 411 3693 67.9 8.99 88 27

Clausen is horrible. <_<

Loser mentality? Yes, ND has not been good for the past 5-10 years. Program as a whole is outstanding.

YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT

138 245 1254 56.3 5.12 44 7 6 35 103.85

2008 268 440 3172 60.9 7.21 69 25 17 21 132.49

2009 209 308 2770 67.9 8.99 88 20 3 18 162.89

Projected 279 411 3693 67.9 8.99 88 27

Clausen is horrible. <_<

Ah, remember the days of Lou Holtz?

Keep those memories fresh sir!

ND has never been the same, and the last few years have been bad to pedantic.

The bloom is off the rose, now, it will be tougher and tougher to recruit good players to come to the cold. Their best recruiting class supposedly in decades was the Clausen class; they did not perform and it is downhill from here.

last year UB=or>ND

You can make all the excuses you want for ND, but claiming they need time to rebuild the program is a joke. In Weis' first season they were a BCS team. What are they rebuilding from, his bad stewardship after that? I'm not a ND hater, I just have no respect for them because they are greatly positioned to succeed and seldom do. Clausen is not an exceptional QB, he hasn't shown the "it" qualities that you want in a franchise QB. There were about a half dozen plays Clausen didn't make in that game that could have swung that game to ND.

Exactly, he's not rebuilding anything, Notre Dame manages to be an average team with a top 5 recruiting class every year its pathetic. I'm not saying Claussen isn't good but the idea that Weiss is rebuilding a program is an excuse and thats all it is.

Ah, remember the days of Lou Holtz?

Keep those memories fresh sir!

ND has never been the same, and the last few years have been bad to pedantic.

The bloom is off the rose, now, it will be tougher and tougher to recruit good players to come to the cold. Their best recruiting class supposedly in decades was the Clausen class; they did not perform and it is downhill from here.

last year UB=or>ND

And who do you cheer for? It's always funny with ND haters. Yeah, so tough to recruit. They actually have some great players coming in.

And who do you cheer for? It's always funny with ND haters. Yeah, so tough to recruit. They actually have some great players coming in.

My alma mater is UR so I am a Division 3 loser Yellowjacket.

Don't really follow college at all just happy to see coach Weis (and Mangini) fail horribly.

And I remember all the ND fans so uppity all the time when Holtz was there, nice to see them have some tough times.

My alma mater is UR so I am a Division 3 loser Yellowjacket.

Don't really follow college at all just happy to see coach Weis (and Mangini) fail horribly.

And I remember all the ND fans so uppity all the time when Holtz was there, nice to see them have some tough times.

Oh ok, so that explains it. Keep hating on ND when you really don't know anything about college football. :censored:

Oh ok, so that explains it. Keep hating on ND when you really don't know anything about college football. :censored:

I also find it ironic that they fired a guy who was doing a credible job and keep a guy on that has destroyed the program.

Racist mickey drunks or racist child molesting catholic clergymen?

Take your pick.

Let's revisit this in 10 years by then we will know for sure if Clausen is good or not.

His brother after all had a stellar NFL career after being a 4 year starter at tennessee, so maybe it is another Peyton/Eli situation we have. LOL

Everyone KNEW that Casey Clausen was not going to make a pro team. Casey also had one of the top defenses in the SEC on his side and it's safe to say the SEC has been the best conference in NCAA football for about 10-15 years now. Jimmy hasn't had that at ND, at any point. Nor has he had an OL like his brother Casey had in front of him. It's obvious that your simple opinions are driven by a basic dislike for a school and not actual facts about football. Like I said, come up with something more plausible for an arguement.

It's not excuses I'm making friend. The Willingham years were terrible for recruiting and set Weis up for a hard road at ND. Ty inherited Bob Davie's players and those same players were the Juniors and Seniors that were left on the squad when Weis came in, took over, and had a couple of BCS bowl appearances. Those same players were the ones that graduated and left Weis with practically nothing to work with, not to mention that he got a late start in his 1st season in the recruiting department by finishing out his season with the Patriots. On the defensive side of the ball ND has lacked the necessary talent for a long time, since Willingham's first season with the defense Davie had built. It takes time to get the players you need to field a BCS Championship contender. They are just now beginning to get top tier recruits on the defensive side of the ball, over the last two years. I never thought this was "the year" for ND, I think that will be next year with everyone coming back and the talent on the defensive side of the ball maturing. Hopefully the OL will be a little better as well.

On the note about Clausen, like I stated already, he had an idiot kicker miss 2 FG's and they lost by 2 points. The kid has been good this year and in multiple pressure situations. He's led his team to victories in the final seconds of games and he's had a couple of tough losses. You can cry he doesn't have "it" all you want, but I say his on the field performance says otherwise. Has he been perfect? No, not at all. Show a QB who is. Also, let's not forget he's been playing with a nagging injury since week 3 to his "plant foot". You can't tell me that he's not a better option at QB for an NFL team right now than any other QB that could be coming out in this draft. Bradford? Injury prone and already getting his throwing shoulder operated on, possibly ending up as another Pennigton type. Locker? Please, the guy has like a 55% completion rate. Tebow? His passes should be shot down, not caught, as they quack when they come out. McCoy? I like McCoy actually and wouldn't mind having the guy in Buffalo, but I'm a little unsettled by his step back in play this season compared to last year. Pike? Decent option, but haven't seen enough from the guy as he always breaks his forearm like Puz. LeFevour? Intriguing option, but doesn't have the arm strength as some of the other QB's available. Reesing? Flutie Jr. Jevan Snead? Inconsistent. In the end, I think this whole convo is irrelevant as I believe that Clausen will return for his Senior year at ND. One more shot to be the guy who got ND back on top of the mountain in college football. If he does enter the draft though, you can bet he will be the first QB taken despite the fact he's from California and some of you "GM's" don't think he has "it". :thumbsup:

Everyone KNEW that Casey Clausen was not going to make a pro team. Casey also had one of the top defenses in the SEC on his side and it's safe to say the SEC has been the best conference in NCAA football for about 10-15 years now. Jimmy hasn't had that at ND, at any point. Nor has he had an OL like his brother Casey had in front of him. It's obvious that your simple opinions are driven by a basic dislike for a school and not actual facts about football. Like I said, come up with something more plausible for an arguement.

It's not excuses I'm making friend. The Willingham years were terrible for recruiting and set Weis up for a hard road at ND. Ty inherited Bob Davie's players and those same players were the Juniors and Seniors that were left on the squad when Weis came in, took over, and had a couple of BCS bowl appearances. Those same players were the ones that graduated and left Weis with practically nothing to work with, not to mention that he got a late start in his 1st season in the recruiting department by finishing out his season with the Patriots. On the defensive side of the ball ND has lacked the necessary talent for a long time, since Willingham's first season with the defense Davie had built. It takes time to get the players you need to field a BCS Championship contender. They are just now beginning to get top tier recruits on the defensive side of the ball, over the last two years. I never thought this was "the year" for ND, I think that will be next year with everyone coming back and the talent on the defensive side of the ball maturing. Hopefully the OL will be a little better as well.

On the note about Clausen, like I stated already, he had an idiot kicker miss 2 FG's and they lost by 2 points. The kid has been good this year and in multiple pressure situations. He's led his team to victories in the final seconds of games and he's had a couple of tough losses. You can cry he doesn't have "it" all you want, but I say his on the field performance says otherwise. Has he been perfect? No, not at all. Show a QB who is. Also, let's not forget he's been playing with a nagging injury since week 3 to his "plant foot". You can't tell me that he's not a better option at QB for an NFL team right now than any other QB that could be coming out in this draft. Bradford? Injury prone and already getting his throwing shoulder operated on, possibly ending up as another Pennigton type. Locker? Please, the guy has like a 55% completion rate. Tebow? His passes should be shot down, not caught, as they quack when they come out. McCoy? I like McCoy actually and wouldn't mind having the guy in Buffalo, but I'm a little unsettled by his step back in play this season compared to last year. Pike? Decent option, but haven't seen enough from the guy as he always breaks his forearm like Puz. LeFevour? Intriguing option, but doesn't have the arm strength as some of the other QB's available. Reesing? Flutie Jr. Jevan Snead? Inconsistent. In the end, I think this whole convo is irrelevant as I believe that Clausen will return for his Senior year at ND. One more shot to be the guy who got ND back on top of the mountain in college football. If he does enter the draft though, you can bet he will be the first QB taken despite the fact he's from California and some of you "GM's" don't think he has "it". :thumbsup:

He would be nuts to do that, risk all that money, but maybe you are right about that he seems that type of guy.

Exactly, he's not rebuilding anything, Notre Dame manages to be an average team with a top 5 recruiting class every year its pathetic. I'm not saying Claussen isn't good but the idea that Weiss is rebuilding a program is an excuse and thats all it is.

Either these recruiting ratings are way off, or Weis is a horrible coach. They continue to bring in top-ranked recruits and continue to lose to every halfway decent team they play. I can't imagine Navy had too many 5-Star Recruits or ESPN Hot 100 recruits or whatever the ratings are.

That arrogant prick Weis should've been fired two years ago.