Colts injuries.

nucci

So what's your point? I hope you're not defending the Bills' current strength and conditioning staff just because the Colts have some injuries of their own. Your link:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indianapolis Colts suddenly have some serious injury issues in the defensive secondary.

The team said Friday that cornerback Marlin Jackson will miss the rest of the season after injuring his left knee in practice. Veteran cornerback Kelvin Hayden is expected to be sidelined for the next three to four weeks with a knee sprain during last week's 18-14 win over the San Francisco 49ers.

And strong safety Bob Sanders is out indefinitely after he injured his left elbow against the 49ers last weekend.

The Colts (7-0) host Houston (5-3) this Sunday

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See? That little part in bold, where it says the Colts, 7-0??? You picked them to try and defend a part of this pathetic Buffalo Bills staff?? Sorry. Very weak. Stupid, actually. Especially since Bob Sanders misses about 5-8 game every season due to the hell bent way he plays with passion back there at safety for the Colts. Now I like this kid Byrd, but while he learns the entire game including hitting, there is no Bob Sanders type player on the Bills as we speak. You can't count him, just like you can't count the times Troy Palamalu gets hurt in Pittsburgh. Nobody on the Bills hits like those guys, and yet there are always 10 - 15 Buffalo Bills going out on IR every year. Something is very wrong.

It has to do with the type of injury. Many injuries are going happen no matter the level of conditioning. Bones and joints have a threshold of stability, and if the forces on it exceed that threshold, you're screwed. See foot planted, body torqued - ankle or knee or hip hosed. Shoulder driven into ground, a/c joint or cuff hosed. Elbow snapped when player uses arm to brace fall during tackle. Concussions, etc.

Remember too that most players are playing with or through injuries during the season. During the season they don't heal and are subjected weekly to the same stresses that caused the injury in the first place. Training is meant to coax physical improvement incrementally. If the cumulative stress on the body is greater than the body's ability to recover, no healing occurs and existing injury is exacerbated. I'm guessing many guys become detrained while nursing hurts (and still playing) which increases the chance of further injury.

I was treated by a Doc who is on the staff of a MLB team. He said the whole pitching staff he treats basically plays injured and with pain - torn labrums and rotator cuffs and tendonitis. In season these guys get therapy just to make it tolerable enough to play (at s high level).

One thing I do wonder is if the many teams fall prey to fitness industry gimmicks and trends. I've read that many pro -teams regimens are centered on non-structural lifts: flailing around on physio-balls and using cables and pulley columns to the exclusion of Olympic lifts. I question if these guys preserve bone density and stimulate enough bone deposition using these 'functional' approaches to withstand the rigors of the season

Fans need to blame someone. They see Bills injuries so they blame the Strength And Conditioning coach.

Ignoring the fact that 99% of every Bills player that has missed games or was IR'd the last 4 years has been a broken bone, separated shoulder, concussion, ankle sprain or knee injury.

Probably has a lot more to do with Jauron's relaxed practice style and players getting beat then it does Strength coach.

Probably has a lot more to do with Jauron's relaxed practice style and players getting beat then it does Strength coach.

I'm not so sure of that conducting pile-driver practices is beneficial to team conditioning. I would guess a certain level of hitting to simulate game conditions helps players acclimate to the stresses that will have to endure during the season. But I doubt there is any evidence that as the proportion of the live contact practices goes up, the better conditioned (or effective) a team becomes. Practice is for skill building and developing and fine-tuning play execution.

Many teams problems (and the Bills) stem from a lack of talent and a lack of execution. In the Bills case, they stockpile marginal talent and can't seem to formulate offensive game plans for the NFL level.

The Bills' woes on offense are not due to injury, anyway. For that god-awfiul Browns game, the team fielded its entire starting offense except for Brad Butler and Derek Shouman. I like those two players, but if your offense can't stand to lose a marginal TE and a decent RT, then you simply don't have the depth to play in this league.

So what's your point? I hope you're not defending the Bills' current strength and conditioning staff just because the Colts have some injuries of their own. Your link:

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indianapolis Colts suddenly have some serious injury issues in the defensive secondary.

The team said Friday that cornerback Marlin Jackson will miss the rest of the season after injuring his left knee in practice. Veteran cornerback Kelvin Hayden is expected to be sidelined for the next three to four weeks with a knee sprain during last week's 18-14 win over the San Francisco 49ers.

And strong safety Bob Sanders is out indefinitely after he injured his left elbow against the 49ers last weekend.

The Colts (7-0) host Houston (5-3) this Sunday

See? That little part in bold, where it says the Colts, 7-0??? You picked them to try and defend a part of this pathetic Buffalo Bills staff?? Sorry. Very weak. Stupid, actually. Especially since Bob Sanders misses about 5-8 game every season due to the hell bent way he plays with passion back there at safety for the Colts. Now I like this kid Byrd, but while he learns the entire game including hitting, there is no Bob Sanders type player on the Bills as we speak. You can't count him, just like you can't count the times Troy Palamalu gets hurt in Pittsburgh. Nobody on the Bills hits like those guys, and yet there are always 10 - 15 Buffalo Bills going out on IR every year. Something is very wrong.

Point is all teams have injuries. This a very bad coaching staff but to blame the injuries on the conditioning coaches, which many here do, is ridiculous.

Point is all teams have injuries. This a very bad coaching staff but to blame the injuries on the conditioning coaches, which many here do, is ridiculous.

Agreed. At this point of the game, pro football players know as much about conditioning as their strength coachs. Strength coachs are rah rah guys, who offer tips and motivation. They also assist with rehabilitation for already injured players. It's not the coaching staff's fault guys get hurt.

This team has had some injury plagued seasons over the years but so does every team from time to time. The main difference is that the Bills never have quality depth. Injuries are inevitable and you can't have practice squad players waiting in the wings.

Finally, some words of reason in this place.

I think it has a lot to do with the way they practice and how they are coached. My old high school football coach, probably the best Section 5 has ever seen, used to say..."You play how you practice. If you practice at a slow pace, you will play slow and scared, and this will result in injury."

I know it is very cliche...but it is true.

These guys practice like 3 times a week, hardly in pads and always indoors...this is the biggest problem, hands down.

I think it has a lot to do with the way they practice and how they are coached. My old high school football coach, probably the best Section 5 has ever seen, used to say..."You play how you practice. If you practice at a slow pace, you will play slow and scared, and this will result in injury."

I know it is very cliche...but it is true.

These guys practice like 3 times a week, hardly in pads and always indoors...this is the biggest problem, hands down.

My coach used to say that too, but bad practice habits seemed to work ok for Alen Iverson, so who knows how true that is at that level.

All teams have injuries. Some teams have injuries at higher rates than others.

Over the past three years, the Bills rate is much higher than the Colts. Or just about anybody.

Agreed. At this point of the game, pro football players know as much about conditioning as their strength coachs. Strength coachs are rah rah guys, who offer tips and motivation. They also assist with rehabilitation for already injured players. It's not the coaching staff's fault guys get hurt.

This team has had some injury plagued seasons over the years but so does every team from time to time. The main difference is that the Bills never have quality depth. Injuries are inevitable and you can't have practice squad players waiting in the wings.

This just isn't so, man. The players read the scientific strength journals? Please. A good strength coach knows infinitely more than a player.

If you look at it, nine-tenths of the "strength" info out there comes from body-building sources, and bodybuilders are concerned with shape, not function, and they don't need to worry about 300 pound guys smashing into them all the time.

It has to do with the type of injury. Many injuries are going happen no matter the level of conditioning. Bones and joints have a threshold of stability, and if the forces on it exceed that threshold, you're screwed.

Bones and joints have a threshhold of stability. But muscle strength supports the bones and joints, and as you noted, the correct type of training builds bone strength itself (not to mention ligament, tendon and cartilage strength).

This just isn't so, man. The players read the scientific strength journals? Please. A good strength coach knows infinitely more than a player.

If you look at it, nine-tenths of the "strength" info out there comes from body-building sources, and bodybuilders are concerned with shape, not function, and they don't need to worry about 300 pound guys smashing into them all the time.

NFL players have been working with top-shelf strength coaches since high-school. Division 1 programs for the most part employ coaching staffs and training support systems that compare or exceed what the pros have. Scientific strength journals? Sure science is constantly evolving, as is training techniques but the average NFL player knows how to train. The athlete knows infintely more about his body than the teams strength coach.

Anyone who has ever trained before will tell you that every person is different. The goal is to find what works for the individual. It's not like the strength coach reads over his journal and runs the team through a series of exercises. Each player represents a business. Most players hire their own trainers and personal coaches, to protect that business. When it comes down to it, millions of dollars are on the line. You can bet your azz that the players are aware of what needs to be done and they know how to get their own body ready.

Injuries happen for alot of different reasons. The Bills aren't doing anything drastically different than the rest of the NFL. They aren't suffering an alarming amount of injuries in comparison to the average, either. The problem becomes ever so glaring, when you don't have anything that resembles adequate backups.