Intersting Tidbit from USA Today....Bryan Scott is talking reps at LB

Lv-Bills

Playing at 219 is a wee bit small for being a NFL LB (cue the Coy Wire mention) and won't help make the run defense better. This is an indictment of the team's inability to properly build depth these past few seasons.

I've never seen anything like this, and haven't noticed any other team moving guys from S to LB and back. First it was Nic Harris, a fifth round rookie and now Scott. When you've gotta convert SS's into OLB's when a starter goes down it's not a solution, it's desperation.

we do many things like this. Wilson is a wr by trade. Byrd was a corner at Oregon (got lucky with that shift it seems, though).

This team is a shambles and by his own admission DJ is the only one to look at for it. He built it, we have to live with it. Like an ugly big highway on the waterfront some ahole politicians got rich approving - even after those politicians are long gone, we have to live with what they did. DJs legacy (if we can ever even get away from him and BEGIN that legacy) will be several seasons of rebuilding the monstrosity.

Go sabres!!!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You got to be kidding me.... Scott at LB?????

umm has anyone seen Derrick Brooks I heard he plays LB in the tampa 2

oh wait I forgot this is the Bills

Does anyone else think that we should have picked up this guy instead of T.O. ????

What a joke this team has become it pains me it really does.

In it's player notes, Scott appeared in there as just getting emergency reps. I bet he's taking them as a bit more meaningful than that. Scott seems to be a player that the coaching staff really likes, and now that the safeties are emerging, maybe they are trying to also keep him in the lineup somewhere.

I don't know, something I just don't remember seeing anywhere else. Take it as you will.

he was a LB sometime in his past, either in the NFL or college I forget and am too lazy to look it up. He is also undersized and fast, and is our primary cover guy on TEs. do not ask me why this coaching staff loves him covering tight ends. Ko simpson was a better option because he at least had some height. but thats just common sense talking...

Draft is slow and can't cover anyone out of the backfield. Maybe they bring Scott in on passing downs which probably means that Ellison might miss the game next week. This would allow both Byrd and Whitner to be on the field at the same time. I thought Scott was our best defender against opposing TEs last year.

And we cut high character Coy Wire because ????? Starting OLB Atlanta

And we cut MLB Mario Haggan because? starting MLB Denver

And we cut Sam Aiken because? special teams captain of Patriots

There is a definite concern that these coaches dont even know the talent on its own team

Even this year..by many independent accounts Nic Harris was MVP of camp and looked great in preseason....we are killed at LB with injury and he never sees the field.....how many years did Jabari Greer go thru similar?

Its just screams of needing a top football personnell guy to be at the GM level.... you cannot leave it all up to the staff because the staff always assumes their own scheme is perfect and therefore must be the player can't play....

Two thoughts:

1) Funny that of all places this item was found in USA today. I guess the WNY-based publications are all busy writing their variations of the "This Byrd Flies High" story.

2) I've never seen an organization so obsessed with switching players from their natural positions. Is this just a symptom of the front office's inability to stock the roster with talent - i.e., the coaches desperately trying to make lemonaid out of the lemons they're given by the front office?

They will practice a safety at LB but refuse to practice undersized DE Aaron Mabin at LB. Yeah, that makes sense for this F'ed up organization

What has Aaron Maybin done lately, or ever (for that matter), that makes you think he SHOULD be playing LB?

When have you EVER seen him standing upright before the snap?

What has Aaron Maybin done lately, or ever (for that matter), that makes you think he SHOULD be playing LB?

When have you EVER seen him standing upright before the snap?

Nothing. Never.

If we ran a 3-4 and actually used a rush LB, he might fit that role. Though his versatility, not to mention comfort in that system, is at best questionable.

Other than that, you got that he is a tiny NFL DE, so he must be a LB. :thumbsup:

Bryan Scott is our best run defender. That includes the entire lb core healthy/injured and or safeties. A move to lb makes sense. He typicaly plays up near the los anyway.

totally agree. Scott add some lbs and come back as a LB next year. take Maybin with him and both add 15-20 lbs before next year... we have our safeties. Scott is a beast and a keeper. Scrap the tampa 2 and make scott a strong safety ... bye bye whitner. mcgee and kelvin as one on one corners... byrd and scott as safeties.. gotta like that...

There is a definite concern that these coaches dont even know the talent on its own team

Even this year..by many independent accounts Nic Harris was MVP of camp and looked great in preseason....we are killed at LB with injury and he never sees the field.....how many years did Jabari Greer go thru similar?

Its just screams of needing a top football personnell guy to be at the GM level.... you cannot leave it all up to the staff because the staff always assumes their own scheme is perfect and therefore must be the player can't play....

great post. Josh Stamer as well.. .. these guys are nuts... won't pay special teams players... figure they are interchangeable... crazy...

You got to be kidding me.... Scott at LB?????

umm has anyone seen Derrick Brooks I heard he plays LB in the tampa 2

oh wait I forgot this is the Bills

Does anyone else think that we should have picked up this guy instead of T.O. ????

What a joke this team has become it pains me it really does.

To be fair why would Derrick Brooks want to come here? this team even with Brook in his prime on it isn't a Super Bowl contender so why would a guy with 1 year left in his playing days go to a team that isn't going anywhere.

great post. Josh Stamer as well.. .. these guys are nuts... won't pay special teams players... figure they are interchangeable... crazy...

For a while there April was just able to plug guys in and have a top unit. I don't know why this year the ST is just not doing well. Maybe its just a fluky thing or the new rules or something. But for what ever reason April just hasn't been able to get it done with the guys on the team.

Harris has looked really good in games...he annihilated Moat on a little screen/dump pass last week

They have to work within their own cash-to-cap restrictions. :thumbsup:

Occam's Razor: Nic Harris is a rookie and they don't trust him enough to play him.