The Curse of Doug Flutie!

stats are for those who either don't watch the games or simply don't understand the game

Discounting a QBs passion and ability to make plays out of nothing and win many games because of it are for those who either don't watch the games or simply don't understand the game.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The greatest problem of all is we are having this discussion when there are 10 QBs about to break 4,000 yards this season. I f'ing hate Flutie and Johnson. Flutie was discovered and sucked in SD but played poorly here with a few games here and there he was good.

How many games did we win without scoring 20 points? A lot. But he was fun to watch and I would have taken him over Johnson while at the time I wanted Johnson just because he was younger with a bigger arm. Now that I'm older I realize the "fun" factor Flutie brought which cannot be measured. Many of us can't stand the last few years because they aren't fun. Flutie made the games fun to watch, even when we scored 17 in the win just because every point looked like a miracle.

Discounting a QBs passion and ability to make plays out of nothing and win many games because of it are for those who either don't watch the games or simply don't understand the game.

too bad we lost games because of his unwillingness to throw the !@#$ing ball in 1999...

No matter who shouldve started, or who blew the game......that is when the Flutie curse began, 10 years of losing football. Any ideas on how to break this curse?

Sell the team to someone who gives a crap about competing for the title instead of focusing on ensuring everyone in WNY can get fall down drunk 8 more times a year.

Ever since we picked RJ over him weve been cursed. That is when this 10 years of missery officially began. Home Run Throwback the first Game after he was replaced. All downhill from there. It is so simple, this missery is the FLUTIE curse.

You're right. On Halloween night a kid came up to my door dressed as Flutie. I gave him the whole bowl of candy, but he refused to forgive the Bills.

If Flutie was a bad QB just riding a good team, how come that good team could only muster 9 wins out of 26 with RJ over the same time while they won 70% of their games with Flutie playing?

He threw 19 TD passes in 15 games in 1999. Only 8 QBs threw for more that year.

If we had a QB come in next year and have a year like Doug had in 1999, we'd start comparing him to Jim Kelly and crown his a$$ the new franchise QB.

Saying Flute sucked is ridiculous and just plain silly.

19 TD passes?!?! Ohh man, Hall of Fame bound. :wallbash:

There is a REASON why he didn't stay as Bills QB, OR why other teams didn't have him as a starter. He sucked because he didn't live up to the hype- flashes versus consistency are two TOTALLY different things. Jim Kelly won playoff games. He won us 13 games. He was consistently good YEAR after YEAR. Drew Bledsoe had an awesome first season... but what did he do after? Suck. One year- wow, time to celebrate... ummm, I think not. Flutie sucked, we didn't retain him, and he did nothing after he left Buffalo. Case closed...

Isn't a big part of the Flutie magic being able to come back in games? When Flutie lost it was everybody else's fault. When he won tight games it was all his doing.

:thumbsup: As I stated above, Win = All Flutie, Loss = Everybody else's fault.

Look below.

Wow, Flutie played like garbage huh? In that game, Flutie was 21 for 36, 360 passing yards, 1TD 1INT. I guess Johnson could have passed for 360 yards that game too?! Maybe if Moulds didn't hotdog it on his run, he would have had a 80 yard TD. Maybe if Andre Reed didn't hit the ref with the ball and get a personal foul penalty, maybe we would have scored a TD with it being 1st and goal within the 1 yard line. So, the way I look at it, Moulds and Reed cost us 11 points that game. 7 for Moulds, 4 for Reed, since we had to kick a FG after being backed up to the 15 yard line because of his stupid personal foul penalty.

Flutie wasn't a great QB, but he wasn't horrible either. Who cares that we weren't blowing teams out during Flutie's time as starting QB, we were winning games. I'd rather take just barely beating teams and making it to the playoffs, compared to the crap we've seen on the field this decade.

'Nuff said.

The way people sound on here, like it was a terrible Bledsoe fumble where Bledsoe held onto the ball away from his thigh with one hand and as soon as he got hit, he fumbled every time. Flutie got Trace Armstrong's helmet drilled into his armpit, there's NO QB in the league that would have held onto the ball.

Kelly and Fluties toughness is like comparing solid oak to balsa wood. Jim Kelly was recruited to be a linebacker for Penn State by Paterno. Kelly laid a lick on a guy who intercepted one of his passes so hard he broke the dudes leg.

The greatest problem of all is we are having this discussion when there are 10 QBs about to break 4,000 yards this season. I f'ing hate Flutie and Johnson. Flutie was discovered and sucked in SD but played poorly here with a few games here and there he was good.

How many games did we win without scoring 20 points? A lot. But he was fun to watch and I would have taken him over Johnson while at the time I wanted Johnson just because he was younger with a bigger arm. Now that I'm older I realize the "fun" factor Flutie brought which cannot be measured. Many of us can't stand the last few years because they aren't fun. Flutie made the games fun to watch, even when we scored 17 in the win just because every point looked like a miracle.

I think that has a lot to do with the rules changes over the years.

19 TD passes?!?! Ohh man, Hall of Fame bound. :wallbash:

There is a REASON why he didn't stay as Bills QB, OR why other teams didn't have him as a starter. He sucked because he didn't live up to the hype- flashes versus consistency are two TOTALLY different things. Jim Kelly won playoff games. He won us 13 games. He was consistently good YEAR after YEAR. Drew Bledsoe had an awesome first season... but what did he do after? Suck. One year- wow, time to celebrate... ummm, I think not. Flutie sucked, we didn't retain him, and he did nothing after he left Buffalo. Case closed...

I'm pretty sure his a-hole demeanor and back stabbing also got him booted from teams.

To be honest I think Flute was one of the best QB's to ever play football...

...in the CFL.