If you blew this team up, what 7 players would you keep?

257 members have voted

1. 1. If you blew it up and started over, what 7 players off the current roster would you keep?

• Reed, Josh
    • Byrd, Jairus
    • Wood, Eric
    • Edwards, Trent
    • Evans, Lee
    • Florence, Drayton
    • Hangartner, Geoff
    • Jackson, Fred
    • Kelsay, Chris
    • Levitre, Andy
    • Lindell, Rian
    • Lynch, Marshawn
    • Maybin, Aaron
    • McGee, Terrence
    • Moorman, Brian
    • Owens, Terrell
    • Posluszny, Paul
    • Schobel, Aaron
    • Stroud, Marcus
    • Whitner, Donte

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the problem with the list is that you have too many rookies from this year's class. Everyone drafted in this past year is most likely going to survive a regime change (or at least all of the top guys - Maybin, Byrd, Wood, and Levitre), so I don't think they're valid players to put on the list. I also don't see how you build anything around a punter or kicker, so though they might stay, you aren't really building anything with them.

Outside of them you have about 11 players that are worth consideration:

Evans

Lynch

Edwards

Jackson

McGee

Poz

Whitner

Stroud

Schobel

McKelvin

Williams

And maybe in a stretch:

Kelsey

Reed

Of all of the above 13 players, all the players I'd like to see stay are primarily on defense. I'd bet that Evans and the RBs at least would make it through a regime change however.

The more I look at these types of posts, the more I am starting to realize that I kind of like the defense and would really like it with a little more talent.

Kelsey and Reed are the poster boys of this ten year exile from the playoffs try hard tow the company line get long term deals have 2 or 3 good games a year. Playoffs are a pipe dream with most of this roster.

Kelsey and Reed are the poster boys of this ten year exile from the playoffs try hard tow the company line get long term deals have 2 or 3 good games a year. Playoffs are a pipe dream with most of this roster.

Marcus Stroud embodies playoff football.

Brian Moorman is the personification of playoff football.

this is tricky since it depends on what kind of coaches you bring in and also who's is under contract for how long. 7 isn't a big enough number since we've got guys we just drafted who are under contracts for 4 to 5 more seasons who will mostly be around (especially the guys in the secondary).

Not counting the guys we drafted the last two years who I would automatically keep I'd try and hold together:

Stroud, Kyle Williams, Poz, Whitner, McGee, Schobel (still our only DE worth much of anything and makes the mediocre guys behind him better), and Lee Evans

Hey Cotton, do you work for Fox News? You'd be a perfect fit for filtering out the candidates before we even get to hear them debate (just like Fox didn't invite Ron Paul to the debates effectively deciding who we get to vote for before each candidate could even get a fair hearing).

You've done the same. Include the entire roster and let us decide who we want instead of filtering the list like this.

Andy Levitre

Eric Wood

Aaron Maybin

Leodis McKelvin

Jairius Byrd

Lee Evans

Donte Whitner

I like Stroud but I don't think he has many years left.

That's almost exactly what I chose--except that I took McGee instead of Whitner. Obviously, if you're rebuilding a team, the bias should be in favor of younger players--which would make Whitner a better move than McGee. But maybe neither guy is the answer for that seventh slot. Possibly, we should select a write-in player like like Nelson, Corner, or McKelvin.

You're going to build your front 7 around an undersized situational D lineman??

How is that a better plan than we have now?

Its a long term outlook DE's take 2-3 years to develop and Maybin if he can get stronger might have what it takes to be a 10 sack a year guy. In a 4-3 you need pass rushing DE's and Maybin by the time this team is legitimately trying to compete might have fulfilled his potential.

Also if you are going for 3-4 Maybin might be able to convert to OLB. So its not that next year I see Maybin as a guy to build off of but as a guy with a lot of potential that could be a key part of the D the season after next at a position that is important to a front 7.

This was a tough question. I voted to keep LeVitre and Wood first of all. They're young and thier solid building blocks for an O line. I voted to keep Lee Evans as I believe at the very worst he's a solid complimentary player. Marshawn Lynch was the next player I kept. Lynch got the nod for me over Jackson because of age and the fact he's a more physical runner. Jairus Byrd was next and IMO was the easiest guy for me to choose due to his age,production and potential. I then voted to keep Aaron Maybin. If I was the GM I personally wouldn't give up on a rookie 1st draft pick. It just wouldn't make sense financially or from a talent aspect.(At least talent wise in regards to looking towards the future.) And the final pick for me came down to either McGee or Stroud. I went with Stroud simply because it's easier to find cornerbacks then Defensive Lineman.