Farve and Rodgers

Can anyone blame the guy for wanting to leave Green Bay and showing up GM Ted Thompson?

Thompson hired Mike McCarthy over Steve Mariucci, didn't want to bring in Randy Moss and in the result, changed the team his way. Brett Farve wanted his old OC at GB, Darrell Bevell to stay with the Packers, instead he left and went to Minnesota, he wanted Randy Moss, he wanted Steve Mariucci, he wanted the same offense.

There is no question that the numbers Arron Rodgers put up last season show that he knows his position and can be a very good QB in the NFL. So what is the problem in Green Bay and why is that team failing? Rodgers has been sacked more then any other QB is the NFL so far, he has a very fast release and can scramble. The problem is with the O line.

The are very the same reason's the Buffalo Bills are failing, Offense- Offensive coordinator-Offensive line

I really like AVP and think he would have done a much better job as OC this season if he had time to prepare in the off season. He didn't have time to change things his way, he was given a job with high stress and very high scrutiny and so little time overhaul the offense.

Head coach Dick Jauron has changed the offensive line every year he has been in Buffalo, it is to bad he didn't start building the offensive through the draft in his first year,instead of his fourth.

Just think of this, IF the Bills had kept Jason Peters and or drafted a top OT in this year, or even brought in a top free agent OT instead of all these young players and rookies at tackle.The Bills could easily be 5-3 at this point instead of 3-5, all those 3 wins do is insure that Jauron stays this season.

If the Bills somehow manage to win another 5-4 games and finish 7-9 or better he stays next year also... :sick:

That was a hell of game yesterday. Impressive QB play. All those who harp on California quarterbacks should watch Aaron Rodgers. He was completely pummeled by games end (who needs a line?) and still came up big though a little short.

The Bills (and the Browns) are among the few teams that effectively play without a QB. I've seen some bad games this year not involving the Bills, and still those bad teams were able at times to execute basic passing plays commensurate with the NFL level. A game like the Pack and Vikings comes along and the Bills fan realizes it has been eons since and will probably be eons before the Bills have a NFL caliber offense.

Guest dog14787
That was a hell of game yesterday. Impressive QB play. All those who harp on California quarterbacks should watch Aaron Rodgers. He was completely pummeled by games end (who needs a line?) and still came up big though a little short.

The Bills (and the Browns) are among the few teams that effectively play without a QB. I've seen some bad games this year not involving the Bills, and still those bad teams were able at times to execute basic passing plays commensurate with the NFL level. A game like the Pack and Vikings comes along and the Bills fan realizes it has been eons since and will probably be eons before the Bills have a NFL caliber offense.

Aaron Rodgers is an exceptional QB, if Rodgers had a decent O-line the guy would be really hard to stop.

I agree with Rabbit, O-line is the key to success for an Offense in the NFL.

The Packers had to move on sometime from "King" Brett. He chose to retire, and the Packers weren't going to just throw away an entire offseason of work getting Rogers ready for the year just cause Brett decides that this week he wants to play again. It was the right move to move on, and the Packers have not been that bad without Brett, Rogers is a good QB, atleast he can still make plays without an offensive line unlike some other teams QB

The Packers had to move on sometime from "King" Brett. He chose to retire, and the Packers weren't going to just throw away an entire offseason of work getting Rogers ready for the year just cause Brett decides that this week he wants to play again. It was the right move to move on, and the Packers have not been that bad without Brett, Rogers is a good QB, atleast he can still make plays without an offensive line unlike some other teams QB

My entire point was that Brett Farve wouldn't have even contemplated retirement If Ted Thompson hadn't screwed him over again and again on Head coach, wide receiver and offensive coordinator.

I'm fairly confidant that Farve is happy he is not playing behind that fubar O Line that Rodgers has to contend with...

Lastly, that O line is about on par with Buffalo's O line. It is a good thing Edwards knows how to check down because the Bills would lead the NFL in sacks allowed instead of Green Bay. As it is Edwards has been knocked out with one concussion, how many more will he need to endure before Jauron grows a brain and brings in Jon Runyan to at least try and shore up that line.

My entire point was that Brett Farve wouldn't have even contemplated retirement If Ted Thompson hadn't screwed him over again and again on Head coach, wide receiver and offensive coordinator.

I'm fairly confidant that Farve is happy he is not playing behind that fubar O Line that Rodgers has to contend with...

Lastly, that O line is about on par with Buffalo's O line. It is a good thing Edwards knows how to check down because the Bills would lead the NFL in sacks allowed instead of Green Bay. As it is Edwards has been knocked out with one concussion, how many more will he need to endure before Jauron grows a brain and brings in Jon Runyan to at least try and shore up that line.

Favre had been playing the "Will I"/'Won't I" retirement game the couple of seasons before that, the difference was that tthe last time the Packers said they wanted an answer earlier in the offseason cause they didn't want to wait until the last minute to have to start getting Rodgers ready for the start of the season. Favre just thought that because of who he was that he could make a choice whenever he wanted and the team would bend over backwards. I bet Favre is happy too that he can go and sit on a team that has been a QB away from SB contender the last few years.

The difference between Rodgers and Favre is that even with horrible o-lines, Rodgers and his offence can score more then 20 points a game and break more then 300 yards with apparently less talent

As much as Green Bay fans may not like that one of their franchise's best players ever Favre is playing for their arch rival the Vikes it was the right move to put Rodgers in and trade away Favre.

Favre was coming off of a 13-3 season and was one game away from the Super Bowl. Rodgers a 1st round pick sat the bench behind Favre for 3 seasons had 2 years left on his deal and like any pro wanted to play and felt that Favre (Who had retired) had passed the torch to him.

The Packers traded him to the Jets so that he could get out of their hair and still get his wish to play (Plus they got a third round pick as well). Now after his stint with the Jets where he faded down the stretch he signed with the Vikes and has elevated the Vikes to Super Bowl contention and defeated the Packers twice.

Now the Pack went 6-10 last year despite Rodgers throwing for 4000 yards while this year the Pack are 4-3 while the Favre led Vikings are 6-1 with the tie breaker over the Packers. BUT its not about this year. The Packers were willing to take the possible hit of Favre returning to the Vikes a year later to insure that Rodgers (About to be 26) would be the franchise QB for years to come.

Here was the question for the Packers organization Favre at 38 for 2 more seasons or Rodgers for 10 or more seasons at age 24? They made the right choice because Rodgers is a good QB and stands to only get better with more experience. The Pack are taking the hit now but it will pay off in the long run.

As much as Green Bay fans may not like that one of their franchise's best players ever Favre is playing for their arch rival the Vikes it was the right move to put Rodgers in and trade away Favre.

Favre was coming off of a 13-3 season and was one game away from the Super Bowl. Rodgers a 1st round pick sat the bench behind Favre for 3 seasons had 2 years left on his deal and like any pro wanted to play and felt that Favre (Who had retired) had passed the torch to him.

The Packers traded him to the Jets so that he could get out of their hair and still get his wish to play (Plus they got a third round pick as well). Now after his stint with the Jets where he faded down the stretch he signed with the Vikes and has elevated the Vikes to Super Bowl contention and defeated the Packers twice.

Now the Pack went 6-10 last year despite Rodgers throwing for 4000 yards while this year the Pack are 4-3 while the Favre led Vikings are 6-1 with the tie breaker over the Packers. BUT its not about this year. The Packers were willing to take the possible hit of Favre returning to the Vikes a year later to insure that Rodgers (About to be 26) would be the franchise QB for years to come.

Here was the question for the Packers organization Favre at 38 for 2 more seasons or Rodgers for 10 or more seasons at age 24? They made the right choice because Rodgers is a good QB and stands to only get better with more experience. The Pack are taking the hit now but it will pay off in the long run.

Will it?

What makes Farve so amazing is that he has been doing it for 18 years and hasn't missed one game.

Stating that, how long before Rodgers gets shell shocked behind that crappy O line just like Trent Edwards. Perhaps concussed or injured and knocked out for the year. Didn't Rodgers already miss some time last season because of injury?

In my view, the biggest difference between Arron Rodgers and Trent Edwards is that severe concussion Edwards suffered last season in Arizona, Rodgers has so far avoided a hit like that. I'll speculate It is only a matter of time he gets smoked and lit up because he is hit so often.

Obviously, Rodgers is on a team with a better head coach and offensive system, too bad the GM and HC aren't smart enough to build a proper O line, great way to treat your "franchise" QB isn't it.

I like Favre, and hope he takes the Vikings far (though I am officially pulling for the Saints, their fans deserve something), but I can understand the Packers predicament. Honestly, I think those Packers fans who were booing him yesterday, no matter how things went down, should be ashamed of themselves. The Packers wanted to move on, Brett couldn't make up his mind, end of story. He has the right to play for any team that wants him. He, obviously, wanted to go to Minnesota all along. However, I don't think his desire to go to Minnesota had so much to do with wanting to stick it the Packers, but, just as much to do with wanting to go to a good team, with an offense he was comfortable in. The Vikings fit that criteria...I think he would have been just as happy to go to Kansas City or Buffalo, if they were in the same class as the Vikings. He did his year of penance in New York, and then went where he wanted to go, to try to win another one...I don't really get all the animosity. Sure, he is a prima-dona, but he has earned that right... unlike a lot of other prima-dona's out there.

What amazes me, Favre is playing awesome. He may have lost some accuracy on the long passes, but he can still zip it in to the tightest of spots, on the short, to intermediate routs, with the best of them. Glad to see him going out swinging... 10 years after he is gone, people will forget the filp-flopping retirement thing, and hopefully, will appreciate what a tremendous amount of great moments this guy has supplied us with over the years, love him or not...

[/b]Will it?

What makes Farve so amazing is that he has been doing it for 18 years and hasn't missed one game.

Stating that, how long before Rodgers gets shell shocked behind that crappy O line just like Trent Edwards. Perhaps concussed or injured and knocked out for the year. Didn't Rodgers already miss some time last season because of injury?

In my view, the biggest difference between Arron Rodgers and Trent Edwards is that severe concussion Edwards suffered last season in Arizona, Rodgers has so far avoided a hit like that. I'll speculate It is only a matter of time he gets smoked and lit up because he is hit so often.

Obviously, Rodgers is on a team with a better head coach and offensive system, too bad the GM and HC aren't smart enough to build a proper O line, great way to treat your "franchise" QB isn't it.

Rodgers unlike Edwards has had over a year of success in his first meaningful NFL action. Trent has had glimpses but other then that 5-1 start Edwards hasn't shown any long period of success. Rodgers has had a 4000 yard season and another good showing so far this season in the Packs 4-3 start.

If you told me you can choose Aaron Rodgers at age 24 or Favre at age 38 (Their ages at the time of their decision) I will take Rodgers every day of the week. Even if you told me Favre was going to play for the Vikes a year later I would still take Rodgers. Franchise QB's don't come easy and if you can give yourself a 8-10 year window with a QB take it.

Favre had been playing the "Will I"/'Won't I" retirement game the couple of seasons before that, the difference was that tthe last time the Packers said they wanted an answer earlier in the offseason cause they didn't want to wait until the last minute to have to start getting Rodgers ready for the start of the season. Favre just thought that because of who he was that he could make a choice whenever he wanted and the team would bend over backwards. I bet Favre is happy too that he can go and sit on a team that has been a QB away from SB contender the last few years.

The difference between Rodgers and Favre is that even with horrible o-lines, Rodgers and his offence can score more then 20 points a game and break more then 300 yards with apparently less talent

When was Mike McCarthy hired ? When was Randy Moss first traded to Oakland? When was he then traded to New England for a 4th round draft pick. Farve really wanted Moss, especially after watching the guy year after year in Minnesota do so well with Dante Culpepper.

Farve knew what Randy Moss would have meant to his team had Green Bay, at the very least they could have tried to trade for him, they made no effort. With Ted Thompson running things it seems like its his way or the highway. Farve knew what losing his OC to Minnesota meant to him and the offense.

I honestly think Farve felt he wasn't being included in the team like he had been in the past, and yea the GM and HC were wanting to get Rodgers in there. So what happens if Rodgers gets a concussion like Edwards did in Arizona?

Can anyone blame the guy for wanting to leave Green Bay and showing up GM Ted Thompson?

Thompson hired Mike McCarthy over Steve Mariucci, didn't want to bring in Randy Moss and in the result, changed the team his way. Brett Farve wanted his old OC at GB, Darrell Bevell to stay with the Packers, instead he left and went to Minnesota, he wanted Randy Moss, he wanted Steve Mariucci, he wanted the same offense.

There is no question that the numbers Arron Rodgers put up last season show that he knows his position and can be a very good QB in the NFL. So what is the problem in Green Bay and why is that team failing? Rodgers has been sacked more then any other QB is the NFL so far, he has a very fast release and can scramble. The problem is with the O line.

The are very the same reason's the Buffalo Bills are failing, Offense- Offensive coordinator-Offensive line

I really like AVP and think he would have done a much better job as OC this season if he had time to prepare in the off season. He didn't have time to change things his way, he was given a job with high stress and very high scrutiny and so little time overhaul the offense.

Head coach Dick Jauron has changed the offensive line every year he has been in Buffalo, it is to bad he didn't start building the offensive through the draft in his first year,instead of his fourth.

Just think of this, IF the Bills had kept Jason Peters and or drafted a top OT in this year, or even brought in a top free agent OT instead of all these young players and rookies at tackle.The Bills could easily be 5-3 at this point instead of 3-5, all those 3 wins do is insure that Jauron stays this season.

If the Bills somehow manage to win another 5-4 games and finish 7-9 or better he stays next year also... <_<

while you make some great points, the most important thing to remember is that brett favre is not bigger than the game or the team. he's is paid well to play qb, not be a coach or gm. so what bret wanted doesnt matter. brett screwed brett. brett screwed the packers, brett screwed green bay, and brett screwed the game.

I like Favre, and hope he takes the Vikings far (though I am officially pulling for the Saints, their fans deserve something), but I can understand the Packers predicament. Honestly, I think those Packers fans who were booing him yesterday, no matter how things went down, should be ashamed of themselves. The Packers wanted to move on, Brett couldn't make up his mind, end of story. He has the right to play for any team that wants him. He, obviously, wanted to go to Minnesota all along. However, I don't think his desire to go to Minnesota had so much to do with wanting to stick it the Packers, but, just as much to do with wanting to go to a good team, with an offense he was comfortable in. The Vikings fit that criteria...I think he would have been just as happy to go to Kansas City or Buffalo, if they were in the same class as the Vikings. He did his year of penance in New York, and then went where he wanted to go, to try to win another one...I don't really get all the animosity. Sure, he is a prima-dona, but he has earned that right... unlike a lot of other prima-dona's out there.

What amazes me, Favre is playing awesome. He may have lost some accuracy on the long passes, but he can still zip it in to the tightest of spots, on the short, to intermediate routs, with the best of them. Glad to see him going out swinging... 10 years after he is gone, people will forget the filp-flopping retirement thing, and hopefully, will appreciate what a tremendous amount of great moments this guy has supplied us with over the years, love him or not...

Well said, man...

Favre has been my favorite non-Bills player for a long time, and I'm thankful that the guy is still playing, and, as you pointed out, at a high (pro bowl?) level. I was dying to see Favre go against his old team this season, and those two games were both awesome to watch. Being that, yet again, we pretty much find ourselves as Bills fans focusing on the draft by mid-season, it's cool to see one of my all-time favorite players and a few former Bills making a run. As much as misery loves company and it's nice to know that we're not the ONLY 0-4 Superbowl team in the NFL, I would love to see Minny win it all this year.

"with the eighth pick in the 2010 draft, the Buffalo Bills select..."

When was Mike McCarthy hired ? When was Randy Moss first traded to Oakland? When was he then traded to New England for a 4th round draft pick. Farve really wanted Moss, especially after watching the guy year after year in Minnesota do so well with Dante Culpepper.

Farve knew what Randy Moss would have meant to his team had Green Bay, at the very least they could have tried to trade for him, they made no effort. With Ted Thompson running things it seems like its his way or the highway. Farve knew what losing his OC to Minnesota meant to him and the offense.

I honestly think Farve felt he wasn't being included in the team like he had been in the past, and yea the GM and HC were wanting to get Rodgers in there. So what happens if Rodgers gets a concussion like Edwards did in Arizona?

As a Head Coach and GM can't be afraid of an injury they didn't know that the O-line would suffer injuries and be ineffective. Yet they were afraid of a 38 year old QB who was using his legendary status to hang on and possibly push out their 24 year old 1st round pick who they have been spending the last 3 years developing. Favre wasn't going to go away so they sent Favre away to the Jets hoping another year of NFL play would wear him down to the point where he would just retire.

They got burnt by the fact that after another year of NFL play Favre did still want to come back. They also got burnt by the fact that Jets didn't want Favre and the fact that the Jets released him letting him go where ever he wanted. However next season when Green Bay has a 26/27 year old pro bowl QB the fans will be happy that the organization made the decision that they did.

while you make some great points, the most important thing to remember is that brett favre is not bigger than the game or the team. he's is paid well to play qb, not be a coach or gm. so what bret wanted doesnt matter. brett screwed brett. brett screwed the packers, brett screwed green bay, and brett screwed the game.

I suppose that is one way to look at it...

Let me ask a question, if Payton Manning wanted to bring in a certain head coach-player-offensive coordinator to help the team win and Bill Polian said emphatically NO, this is what we are going to do. How do you think Manning would respond?

While I can see both sides to this controversy and realize no player is bigger then the team, at least the GM could have done was kept the same offensive coordinator. I can see why the GM didn't want to bring in Randy Moss and he wanted to pick his own head coach, very understandable. I think it all came down to how it was done rather then why it was done. The team went 13-3 and lost at home in the playoffs due to a Farve interception, so the GM wanted to move on, and it showed.

I wonder how the Packer fans will feel should the Vikings make it to the super bowl and win it! How safe will Ted Thompson's job be then?

Brett screwed the Packers????

WTF are you talking about? They got the QB they wanted in Rogers.

Favre is a starting QB on a better team.

Everyone's got what they wanted---even the retarded populace of Wisconsin.

Brett wanted to come back to the Packers, but they said no, because they wanted to move on with Rodgers. So no, Brett didn't screw the Packers at all, they were quite happy to let Favre walk, and today are in a much better position because of it, as they have their quarterback of the future.

Also, we can blame management for the Oline all we want, but as of last year, and only as of last year, we've done a decent job of getting pieces in there. We got Wood and Levitre, which is a good start, there are still a few more pieces to go, but we're getting there.

Next year we replace Bell with a good solid vet, or a high draft pick, we move Wood to centre where he belongs, Butler will be back at RT, and there you go, we're a LT and a RG away from having a pretty good young offensive line.

Brett wanted to come back to the Packers, but they said no, because they wanted to move on with Rodgers. So no, Brett didn't screw the Packers at all, they were quite happy to let Favre walk, and today are in a much better position because of it, as they have their quarterback of the future.

Also, we can blame management for the Oline all we want, but as of last year, and only as of last year, we've done a decent job of getting pieces in there. We got Wood and Levitre, which is a good start, there are still a few more pieces to go, but we're getting there.

Next year we replace Bell with a good solid vet, or a high draft pick, we move Wood to centre where he belongs, Butler will be back at RT, and there you go, we're a LT and a RG away from having a pretty good young offensive line.

Brett wanted to come back to the Packer around the time the were starting training camp, after he had already announced his retirement. Had he said after that playoff game that he can't wait to get back into training camp and hopefully avenge the playoff loss, he would have been a Packer. Instead, he had his tearful retirement about how he did not have that will to keep going anymore at a high level and he announced his retirement. The Packers moved on, and so did the fans. The Packers said he would always be welcome back, but the would be behind Rodgers because they were already prepared for the next season with Rodgers at QB.

As for the Bills o-line, They aren't going to replace Bell, he is the supposed LT of the future, and they don't need a RG cause they can keep Hangartner there until his contract is up. The o-line just needs everyone healthy, and some more playing time/experience, they do need some better depth though

He has "happy feet"...to excess. I watched the early season CIN-GB game, and said to myself, this guy is running around much too much. His OLs' were twisting all over the field. He set 'em up for injury IMO.

A QB can "over" scramble. CIN's since-IR'd DE Antwan Odom got 5 sacks in that game, two maybe three of which were because Rodgers was running around like a chicken after a bucket of boiling water was flung at its' as*.

The GB coaches need to sit him down for a talk. He's putting his line players in vulnerable situations... <_<

The Packers lowest point total this season is 21 and average around 26 per game, their main problem is their defense is giving up more. GB has a good QB and a terrible O-line. Which leads me to believe that a good QB can still put up points and be effective behind a poor O-line. The Bills have a poor O-line and a bad QB, a lethal combination. There is no comparison between these 2 teams...