Could Edwards be the Franchise guy with new coaching?

PJBrown

- Kyle Orton lead the Bears to a 10-5 record as a rookie starter (including 8 consecutive wins), with nothing around him that resembles an offense.

- Starting the final 3 games of 2007, he lead the team to 2 of their 7 wins that season

- He started 15 games in 2008, during which Chicago went 9-6 and threw for almost 3,000 yards with 18 TDs and 12 INTs; this included victories against Peyton Manning and the Colts, Drew Brees and the Saints, and Aaron Rodgers and the Packers

I'm not saying he was great, but there were at least signs of capability. IMO, Edwards hasn't performed close to that level.

Yeah, because Edwards wasn't 5-1 before his concussion last year.

As much negativity as Edwards gets, a lot deserved, even the biggest distractors have to admit that there have been flashes of something greater at times. So just how much is coaching?

I live in Nashville TN and have for 15 years (originally from Hamburg). Having married a southerner, I have developed an appreciation for SEC football and love the Vols! So here's the example: Jonathan Crompton

Crompton was the heir to Eric Ainge...was highly touted coming out of high school, etc. ..gets the reigns last year with a new OC (ever hear of that?) and played QB like a monkey trying to F&@k a football...stared down receivers, held the ball too long, poor throws, etc....this year Lane Kiffin takes over and everyone here is wondering what he did to get Crompton playing so well...confident, standing tall, etc...so,

How much is coaching?

What would a Mike Holmgen do for Edwards?????? makes you wonder

no

It's not the coaching people that makes Edwards play terrible. It is Edwards. It was Todd Collins, K Holcomb, D Bledsoe, JP Losman, R Johnson that all were terrible. NOT the coaching. If you are a very good QB it will show and you will be successful. Dan Henning, Mike Mularkey and K Gilbride are all successful as OCs and can somehow coach offense now but were run out of town after people said the same thing that the coaching was bad. Maybe they are all good coaches when the QBs can play!

Edwards is bad b/c of Edwards NOT the coaches. Teams have tape on him now, know what he does well and what he does not and make him play poorly. It is too bad as I really thought he was the answer but after almost a full season of putrid play I'm convinced he is not.

Yeah, because Edwards wasn't 5-1 before his concussion last year.

Actually, he was. But as much as I appreciate your sarcastic, incomplete thought, NFL seasons are actually 16 games long, not 6.

Also, 5-1 with wins against the Seahawks (4-12), Jaguars (5-11), Raiders (5-11), Rams (2-14), and Chargers (8-8, who also happened to fire their defensive coordinator after Buffalo's week 7 victory) doesn't exactly make me swoon. Perhaps it was his performance against the 3-13 Chiefs or the mid-collapse Denver Broncos (who sported the NFL's worst defense in 2008) that convinced you of his greatness? Go ahead and contrast that with the quality wins that Orton's had in his career, and it's not even close.

And you can blame the concussion all you want, he was awful the 2nd half of the season and was medically cleared to play by Buffalo's staff--one of the better medical staffs in the game (Kevin Everett, anyone?).

I said at the time of the Cutler trade that I'd take Orton over Edwards (in case you missed it in my last post, the guy threw for 3,000 yards, 18 TDs and 12 INTs with the Bears--who have NOTHING on offense), and nothing I've seen makes me think any differently about it.

It's not the coaching people that makes Edwards play terrible. It is Edwards. It was Todd Collins, K Holcomb, D Bledsoe, JP Losman, R Johnson that all were terrible. NOT the coaching. If you are a very good QB it will show and you will be successful. Dan Henning, Mike Mularkey and K Gilbride are all successful as OCs and can somehow coach offense now but were run out of town after people said the same thing that the coaching was bad. Maybe they are all good coaches when the QBs can play!

Edwards is bad b/c of Edwards NOT the coaches. Teams have tape on him now, know what he does well and what he does not and make him play poorly. It is too bad as I really thought he was the answer but after almost a full season of putrid play I'm convinced he is not.

<_<

I get so sick of people saying this Bills QB or that QB just needs better coaching. There are still some mentally ill ones out there who think all JP needs is coaching. It's the Bills scouts who keep getting us these lousy QBs who are the problem.

As much negativity as Edwards gets, a lot deserved, even the biggest distractors have to admit that there have been flashes of something greater at times. So just how much is coaching?

I live in Nashville TN and have for 15 years (originally from Hamburg). Having married a southerner, I have developed an appreciation for SEC football and love the Vols! So here's the example: Jonathan Crompton

Crompton was the heir to Eric Ainge...was highly touted coming out of high school, etc. ..gets the reigns last year with a new OC (ever hear of that?) and played QB like a monkey trying to F&@k a football...stared down receivers, held the ball too long, poor throws, etc....this year Lane Kiffin takes over and everyone here is wondering what he did to get Crompton playing so well...confident, standing tall, etc...so,

How much is coaching?

What would a Mike Holmgen do for Edwards?????? makes you wonder

Edwards is and will be nothing more than a mediocre Quarterback. Given the fact that he has regressed the more he gets hit, my guess would be that he will be out of football or backing up JP in the UFL in a couple of years.

The Bills need a change at the QB position, among others, along with a new coach, front office and owner if possible.

No. He's played exactly one good game since Chargers game last year. He threw for just one TD in that game anyway. He has ZERO 300 yard games for his career. Not much there IMO. Career backup.

I think it is more appropriate to say Jauron has never had many (any?) 300+ yard quarterbacks in his coaching career due to his Pop Warner offense that makes defensive players laugh. I think a Holmgren, Gruden, or Shanahan would do wonders for trent, but not very likely. Brian Schottenheimer, Pete Carmicheal? Possibly.

I for one will still be interested in watching Edwards and hoping he shows he can overcome the bad coaching, O-line and concussions.

Not much else to look forward to this year anyway, with this team.

I'll also be cheering for him when the bozos finish running him out of town. Maybe he'll have a career in a better NFL location.

This is one of the reasons I like Holmgren here. He was a QB coach under Bill Walsh, who loves TE so there may lay some similarities between Holmgren and Walsh which could help TE (That is assuming he's still here next year). Just a reminder, Holmgren coached Montana, Young, Favre, and Hasselbeck. You know that as soon as he started here QB would be priority number 1.

The sole reason I don't like Holmgren is he will want power, so much so that he won't be one on one with the QB and the result will be what Seattle had last season.

Trent Edwards seems like a perfect fit for a west coast offense, If the Bills were to get Shanahan or Holmgren and all they did was be the head coach... then yea, that would work.

I disagree completely, Trent Edwards play is the result of a horrid offensive line, bad coaching and a crappy offensive system.

I disagree. I think we continue to hire inexperienced coaches and offensive coordinators who have not developed quarterbacks and put them in situations where they have every opportunity to be successful. It's not that the coaches were bad, it's that the teams are. No depth + porous offensive line for 10 years = poor quarterback play and a lot of losses. Maybe all those coaches you mentioned are so good because they learned what NOT to do in Buffalo.

Trent Edwards - He has the talent. He's in a very similar situation to what Losman was under. Very difficult to be successful with the dysfunction of the entire organization around him. I say lets go with Trent the rest of this year and see if he can bounce back. Really we do not have anything to lose because Hamdin and Fitz certainly are not ever going to lead this team, but Edwards still has a chance to.

Walsh did not "love" Trent.

He called Marv Levy after Buffalo drafted Edwards and said "you got yourself a good player", that's it. Nothing more to it.

Coincidentally, the last place Walsh coached during his illustrious career was Stanford, where Edwards played. He never coached Trent, and wasn't involved in recruiting him. He was, however, still partially involved with the 49ers organization, and yet they didn't draft him.

So he couldn't have "loved" him that much.

I thought the Walsh quote was "helluva qb" or along those lines. Anyway, it matters not. Bottom line is the FO and Coaching are so inept, its too hard to tell if TE is a bust or just undeveloped talent.

It would be nice just to find out, but the wheels of change are stuck, thus the only way we will likely confirm one of the two scenarios is when the Bills entrench the next tackling dummy and TE is booted to a new environment.

Not for the Bills. He's been too far broken here and he's not exactly a guy who lives and breathes football. Another team may be able to make him into a serviceable QB, but regardless of the adminstration inf Buffalo...Edwards is not the QB of the future.