A giant misconception by the fans...

Thoner7

On my way home from the game yesterday, as I do after every game, I listened to 550am until I lost reception then switch over to 1180am, which broadcasts the officail postgame show in Rochester. On both stations, fans called im and left their two cents about how TO should be benched because he is not helping the team win, not giving 100%, saying he should have been traded etc. I am talking 3-5 callers on each station in the half hour or so I listened to each.

This suprised me. Who actually thought that TO was brought here to win/try? He was a ticket seller 100%. Something like 8000 season tickets were sold the 24 hrs after his signing was announced, mission complete. There are no ifs ands or buts about it, TO was a 100% marketing move. Signing TO was not done for wins but for money - this is somethign I thought everyone understood and accepted, I guess I was wrong.

While you may be right, that logic also follows that the excitement generated by the TO signing was due to fans believing he would help the offense, thus leading to more wins, and a more exciting product on the field. I highly doubt all those seats were sold to watch more of the same. People truly believed this might add a spark.

I truly don't believe that the Bills brass believed this was the case either. Ultimately playing exciting football and winning will sell seats. While signing a big name adds a buzz and excitement around the team, that's due to potential for better play and more wins. It's really that simple. The FO here may be inept, but I don't believe they purposefully lose. They simply don't know how to win.

On my way home from the game yesterday, as I do after every game, I listened to 550am until I lost reception then switch over to 1180am, which broadcasts the officail postgame show in Rochester. On both stations, fans called im and left their two cents about how TO should be benched because he is not helping the team win, not giving 100%, saying he should have been traded etc. I am talking 3-5 callers on each station in the half hour or so I listened to each.

This suprised me. Who actually thought that TO was brought here to win/try? He was a ticket seller 100%. Something like 8000 season tickets were sold the 24 hrs after his signing was announced, mission complete. There are no ifs ands or buts about it, TO was a 100% marketing move. Signing TO was not done for wins but for money - this is somethign I thought everyone understood and accepted, I guess I was wrong.

T.O really is a competitor for just about every season of his career. I think he just gave up here. If you've never watched him play you don't realize that USED TO play like an animal.

I'm more upset I can't watch Johnson develop over T.O. I mean the season is over I want to see what we have. Johnson may suck but he has shown more than Hardy and the other scrubs.

It says something about how pathetic our team and coaching is that we can take a talent like T.O., who still has it, and make him look like a practice squad player. Other teams' scrubs look like superstars against us. We take stars and make them look like scrubs. Absolutely disgusting. Blow the whole thing up, starting with Brandon, and start over with a football guy in charge.

RTB

I dont think he was brought in to sell tickets. You are forgetting one HUGE hole in this theory...Trent Edwards.

There is no way anyone will ever be able to convince me that the FO brought in TO just to sell tickets if the FO truly wanted Trent to be their QB. His confidence was already rattled and he was still young and entering the most critical year of his career, and quite possible a make or break year for his career. NO WAY the FO says lets just roll the dice and gamble with this kids head and the future success of this franchise just to sell some more tickets when this team sells plenty of tickets anyway.

And I dont want to hear any counter arguments about how cheap Ralph is, becuase he clearly isnt as cheap as a lot of fans like to spout off about. The dude has more money than the next 4 generations of his family can spend if none of them ever work a day in their life. This is a man who loves football and there is just no way he would risk sabotaging his team to sell a few more tickets, especially when he has no need for more money at his age.

TO may be nothing more than a seat filler now, but that is not what he was brought here for. He was brought in to help develop Trent, open up the offense, create some media buzz, give this team some life, free up Evans, etc, etc...it was all of the above...and then some

I dont think he was brought in to sell tickets. You are forgetting one HUGE hole in this theory...Trent Edwards.

There is no way anyone will ever be able to convince me that the FO brought in TO just to sell tickets if the FO truly wanted Trent to be their QB. His confidence was already rattled and he was still young and entering the most critical year of his career, and quite possible a make or break year for his career. NO WAY the FO says lets just roll the dice and gamble with this kids head and the future success of this franchise just to sell some more tickets when this team sells plenty of tickets anyway.

Who are you seriously trying to convince that TO was brought here with the single purpose of helping Trent?

You are forgetting some real facts ...

The Bills originally pursued L. Coles, and had offered him a THREE year contract. When it was leaked, Coles was talking to the Bengals (who were offering a FOUR year contract), the Bills upped their offer to a FOUR year contract. Coles told the Bills to !@#$ off (essentially).

Season ticket renewals were tanking at about this time.

TO agreed to and signed a ONE year contract.

When the Bills announced the signing TO, in the same press release, the Bills also "conveniently" announced the ticket office would be open extended hours.

The Bills knew exactly what kind of buzz TO would create when they signed him.

TO was signed to stop the bleeding. The fact he "solved" the WR problem (for only a year) was a bonus.

Plus Jauron could no longer use the excuse he had no talent.

Trent's development? Probably never came up in the discussion.

:censored: - You were not wrong, some folks are just a little slow to get the message. Case in point - Why do you think they are hanging on to Coach DJ? Playcalling? Save money? Contract with Foster Grant? Nope - it is a more effective marketing tool to do this in the off-season - excite the fans and give them hope. With hope comes ticket sales!!! The model is very clear with this team - moves are made to sell seats, not put "W's" on the board...

When the Bills announced the signing TO, in the same press release, the Bills also "conveniently" announced the ticket office would be open extended hours.

That is exactly correct. I remember seeing the press conference clip on the news and Brandon not only said that, he almost said it in the same breath as the TO signing to make sure every soundbite had it. It was a sales stunt pure and simple. And it sure as hell worked. Wonder what ole Russy-boy has up his sleeve for this off-season.

IMO some of the least football knowledgeable fans are the ones who call into the talk shows. Don't lose sleep over it because 3-5 callers aren't as educated as yourself, and 3-5 callers are certainly not the majority of Bills fans. Although at this point and time, there may not be too many more. So maybe your title should be "A giant misconception by some fans" as it is a giant misconception that you believe 3-5 callers equal all Bills fans...

Who are you seriously trying to convince that TO was brought here with the single purpose of helping Trent?

The Bills originally pursued L. Coles, and had offered him a THREE year contract. When it was leaked, Coles was talking to the Bengals (who were offering a FOUR year contract), the Bills upped their offer to a FOUR year contract. Coles told the Bills to !@#$ off (essentially).

TO was signed to stop the bleeding. The fact he "solved" the WR problem (for only a year) was a bonus.

The funniest part about Coles was that he is represented by Eugene Parker. The same Eugene Parker that got Jason Peters out of Buffalo and the contract he wanted and with a team that can contend. He had Coles work out for Buffalo first, and had Russ Brandon work to set a market value on his client. But, I seriously doubt there was ever any intention to have Coles sign with the Bills. The gift that just keeps giving. Russ taught those guys a lesson alright with the hard-ball stance. Good job! :sick:

Firing the coach Monkey...firing the coach.

Unfortunately I can see Jauron returning for another year under the right circumstances.

One, the Bills suddenly start winning, and achieve a record around .500

Two, the Bills become aggressive and pursue a big name FA QB in the off season.

Beyond something like that, Jauron is toast this off season.

The Bills should reimburse season ticket holders at least half their ticket prices since they are getting less than half the product promised. I have given up on them and can barely stand to even check the scores each week. At least if Jauron were gone with someone with a track record of winning brought in I could live with growing pains, but not with this stubborn guy. Now injuries have caught up with the team so there is a built in excuse. But still in IMO not going for it against NO was the turning point of the season and sapped the lifeblood out of this team. Not saying making it or not would have been a major turning point, but just going for it at that point would have sent the correct message to the team win or lose.

The funniest part about Coles was that he is represented by Eugene Parker. The same Eugene Parker that got Jason Peters out of Buffalo and the contract he wanted and with a team that can contend. He had Coles work out for Buffalo first, and had Russ Brandon work to set a market value on his client. But, I seriously doubt there was ever any intention to have Coles sign with the Bills. The gift that just keeps giving. Russ taught those guys a lesson alright with the hard-ball stance. Good job! :sick:

There never was any intent. Every time an article came out regarding Coles and the Bills, it was always how the Bills were doing x. The Bills were doing all the talking. Coles and his agent never said squat.

Where did I write he was brought in for the single purpose to develop trent? I said, there is no way they risk the future development of Trent just to sell tickets...in other words, I said the exact opposite of what you just claimed I said.

If, and I am saying IF, the front office TRULY believed in Trent as our future QB, there is no way in hell that they would bring in TO for the sole purpose of selling tickets. They are not going to bring a known QB killer to sell tickets with such a shaken and young QB if they trully cared about Trents long term success. Yes, ticket sales was a given by product...in fact, you would have to be a complete moron if you didnt captialize on the momentum it would create, which is what they did.

But, there is NO way the ONLY purpose of TO was to sell tickets. There was FAR too much risk to a young and fragile psyche of Trent Edwards to gamble on for just a quick boost in ticket sales. I am not saying ticket sales wasnt a bonus for them, but if they didnt believe TO could help this team, they would NOT have brought him here.

But the original poster is making the claim that the 100% sole purpose was to sell tickets, and thats just absurd unless the original poster also believes the Bills knew coming into the season Trent wasnt the answer and didnt care about the potential psyche damage of having TO around him could cause if TO lost his patience with Trent.

The Bills should reimburse season ticket holders at least half their ticket prices since they are getting less than half the product promised.

I disagree. Ticket holders paid to see the Buffalo Bills take the field. And that's what you are getting. Now one could argue that the Jills would put up more of a fight than the Bills right now, but you are getting exactly what you paid for. What you do about future games is up to you.

Every week I watch the Bills and I see TO sitting there (at least staying healthy) ... and I want to apologize to him. I know he's keeping quiet because he doesn't want to queer next year's contract with ANYONE BUT BUFFALO. And I look forward to him signing with a contender...and then letting it all out. The Bills deserve it.

My husband and I agreed yesterday that the Bills could sign the best position players in the league tomorrow, but would still suck. Something to do with BAD COACHING.

I'd love to see #FireDickJauron become a trending topic on Twitter.

But the original poster is making the claim that the 100% sole purpose was to sell tickets, and thats just absurd unless the original poster also believes the Bills knew coming into the season Trent wasnt the answer and didnt care about the potential psyche damage of having TO around him could cause if TO lost his patience with Trent.

But why would they bring in a very high profile WR and at the same time decimate the OL knowing full well whatever QB was in would not have any time to throw to him. Sales is the only thing that makes sense to me. "Psyche" damage is absurd to me. He is a grown man, and by all accounts intelligent (although with all the head trauma maybe not so much anymore). Any professional athlete whose "psyche" can be damaged so easily should not be a professional athlete.

But why would they bring in a very high profile WR and at the same time decimate the OL knowing full well whatever QB was in would not have any time to throw to him. Sales is the only thing that makes sense to me. "Psyche" damage is absurd to me. He is a grown man, and by all accounts intelligent (although with all the head trauma maybe not so much anymore). Any professional athlete whose "psyche" can be damaged so easily should not be a professional athlete.

Are you saying you think Trents confidence didnt get shaken last year? Are you suggesting he plays with the confidence of a seasoned pro? Because unless you can make that claim, then clearly there is plenty of risk bringing in WR that has a history of clashing with his QB's and putting a lot of pressure on the QB to attempt to get him the ball...something that would not be good for a young QB in a make or break year who has already demonstrated a rattled confidence on more than one occassion.

Are you saying you think Trents confidence didnt get shaken last year? Are you suggesting he plays with the confidence of a seasoned pro? Because unless you can make that claim, then clearly there is plenty of risk bringing in WR that has a history of clashing with his QB's and putting a lot of pressure on the QB to attempt to get him the ball...something that would not be good for a young QB in a make or break year who has already demonstrated a rattled confidence on more than one occassion.

I am saying he is playing to the best of his ability, which unfortunately for all concerned is well below the level of a NFL starting QB. But happens to coincide with where he was drafted (third round with the 92nd overall pick). Having his brain scrambled regularly probably doesn't help matters either.

1) Edwards confidence doesn't matter much if the ability is not there in the first place.

2) Everyone knew the OL was going to suck, including Brandon.

3) TO's past performance shows he has always been a "good boy" his first season anywhere. Hence the one year contract.

4) Brandon is a marketing guy, not a football guy.

Do the math, it's not that complicated.