Maurice Jones-Drew compared to Trent Edwards

bizell

"I think the Jaguars are," Jones-Drew said Wednesday, according to the Florida Times-Union. "We have a lot of young guys who are starting to get their feet under them. You guys expect me to say anybody else?"

He was then asked if his answer is an honest one. "That's a very honest answer," Jones-Drew said. "I'm a fan of the Jaguars. I'm one of those fans, regardless of what the team does, I still love them. Each week, I think they're going to be awesome."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...-in-the-league/

Well imagine that! A football player that is also A FAN of the team that pays his salary. Who'da thunk?!?!?!

I was just about to post this... i had just copy and pasted the article. I think it is great...go figure, Jones-Drew, Thurman Thomas, Corneilius Bennett...they were all fans of the teams they played for.

To bad Trent Edwards isn't a fan of the Bills.

making a big deal out of nothing

I was just about to post this... i had just copy and pasted the article. I think it is great...go figure, Jones-Drew, Thurman Thomas, Corneilius Bennett...they were all fans of the teams they played for.

To bad Trent Edwards isn't a fan of the Bills.

I agree with pBills - give the guy a break. Trentie's too preoccupied being a fan of Dakota Fanning.

Haha, I actually commented on this on the PFT website. Here was my entry:

"I love the MJD said this. Players should have passion for their teams and be motivated by more than just a pay check.

Trent Edwards was asked a few weeks ago by the media in a postgame presser that if he were a fan, would he boo his team's performance. He replied with "I'm not a Bills fan, I am a Bills player." To me that shows how detached he is from the sentiments of those who fill the stadium and wear his jersey and are passionate about their hometown team. I am glad that some players are actually fans of their team, it shows some passion."

"That's a very honest answer," Jones-Drew said. "I'm a fan of the Jaguars.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha! "Awesome" indeed!!

Yeah, no one believes you, Mo.

And when your contract is up you will be seen exiting that town faster than your over-priced luxury vehicle is depreciating.

Then you will telling all "Of course I'm a fan of [insert signer of check's team name here]".

It may be ridiculous, but it was an incredibly stupid thing to say.

People are just hearing the way they want to though. My guess is he was trying to say something like, I am a player and can't see things from a fans point of view. He isn't that seasoned on the field, much less in front of a microphone. What I can't believe is people are still talking about this almost 3 weeks after it happened? Some of you didn't talk about the off season arrests and legal troubles this long.

People are just hearing the way they want to though. My guess is he was trying to say something like, I am a player and can't see things from a fans point of view. He isn't that seasoned on the field, much less in front of a microphone. What I can't believe is people are still talking about this almost 3 weeks after it happened? Some of you didn't talk about the off season arrests and legal troubles this long.

easy, because of this article in PFT:

Jones-Drew says the Jags are the best team in the league

Posted by Mike Florio on October 29, 2009 9:41 AM ET

In college, UCLA running back Maurice Jones-Drew was stuck in the shadows of USC's Reggie Bush. (The diminutive Jones-Drew also once got lost behind a keg of beer.) Since they both moved to the NFL, Jones-Drew has been the far superior player.

But now Jones-Drew has moved the oneupsmanship into a new arena. A day after Bush said that his 6-0 Saints can go undefeated, Jones-Drew said that his 3-3 team is the best in the league.

"I think the Jaguars are," Jones-Drew said Wednesday, according to the Florida Times-Union. "We have a lot of young guys who are starting to get their feet under them. You guys expect me to say anybody else?"

He was then asked if his answer is an honest one. "That's a very honest answer," Jones-Drew said. "I'm a fan of the Jaguars. I'm one of those fans, regardless of what the team does, I still love them. Each week, I think they're going to be awesome."

And this is precisely why coaches don't like it when their players are required to speak extemporaneously.

We know what some of you will say. What else should Bush or Jones-Drew say in situations like this?

For Bush, when asked if his team can run the table, he could have said this: "We can win every game, and we can lose every game. Our goal each week is to win. And we hope that when the dust settles we have enough wins to go to the playoffs."

For Jones-Drew, he had an even easier way out. "The best team is the team that wins the Super Bowl," he could have said. "And if we want to be that team we've got work to do. I hope my teammates are ready to roll up their sleeves with me."

So, yes, there are ways to answer these loaded questions honestly and without possibly providing other teams with extra motivation come Sunday or Monday night.

Fortunately for us, plenty of players have yet to figure that out.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...-in-the-league/

I don't think Trent is a big fan of football period. He strikes me as a baseball, golf kind of a guy. The passion and competitiveness, which is a prerequisite for NFL success, has just not been seen in his three years here. I don't think that can be pinned on Jauron's lack of football passion either. Trent is already history in my book. Dude should just retire with his brains still intact and do something he enjoys.

I don't think Trent is a big fan of football period. He strikes me as a baseball, golf kind of a guy. The passion and competitiveness, which is a prerequisite for NFL success, has just not been seen in his three years here. I don't think that can be pinned on Jauron's lack of football passion either. Trent is already history in my book. Dude should just retire with his brains still intact and do something he enjoys.

He strikes me as more of a polo type of guy.

TE is not a NFL QB but I'm not sure how a fan can question is love of football. On what grounds? How do you know Dick Jauron lacks football passion?

It takes alot more than passion to be successful in the NFL. Some of the best players might lack passion. It's not always all about attitude and effort. Life's funny like that.

in trent edwards' defense, curtin martin didn't really care too much for football. he said it was just a means of him to achieve want he wanted to achieve (which is some time of altruistic purpose iirc)

I didn't see Edwards' name in that article anywhere?

It's not a stretch. Everyone else was just aware enough about past press conference quotes that they could make a connection. There really isn't anywhere you can make the claim, "making too big a deal" out of it, there is just us knowing something that you don't. Don't worry though, the Bills website has archived all the press conference videos. Looks like you've got some HW to do.