Maurice Jones-Drew compared to Trent Edwards

bizell

It's not a stretch. Everyone else was just aware enough about past press conference quotes that they could make a connection. There really isn't anywhere you can make the claim, "making too big a deal" out of it, there is just us knowing something that you don't. Don't worry though, the Bills website has archived all the press conference videos. Looks like you've got some HW to do.

I can make the claim "Too big a deal" how does that in anyway affect his play on the field? Isn't that what he gets paid for? Bruce Smith was a Redskins fan the entire time he was a Buffalo Bill (and still is, that is why he signed there), I guess that made him suck too.

TE is not a NFL QB but I'm not sure how a fan can question is love of football. On what grounds? How do you know Dick Jauron lacks football passion?

It takes alot more than passion to be successful in the NFL. Some of the best players might lack passion. It's not always all about attitude and effort. Life's funny like that.

I don't remember Parcells, Gibbs or Belichick being big into golfing. I don't remember any successful head coach that was a big time golfer.

As for Edwards, I remember listening to an interview he had with WFAN in NY during this offseason and he talked about how much golf he was playing and how much he loved baseball. Was Brady spending a lot of time on the golf course early in his career after he officially became the starting QB in New England? I kind of doubt it.

Couple that with their passionless sideline demeanors and that's the conclusion I've come to.

I don't remember Parcells, Gibbs or Belichick being big into golfing. I don't remember any successful head coach that was a big time golfer.

As for Edwards, I remember listening to an interview he had with WFAN in NY during this offseason and he talked about how much golf he was playing and how much he loved baseball. Was Brady spending a lot of time on the golf course early in his career after he officially became the starting QB in New England? I kind of doubt it.

Couple that with their passionless sideline demeanors and that's the conclusion I've come to.

first off, please realize that i am no longer defending Jauron, Edwards, or anyone else on this team for that matter.

but with regards to Golf, and QBs playing it... the reason so many do, and/or are pushed to golf, is that it is a 90% mental game. Can you move on from the last shot and put all of your focus into the shot in front of you? Can you use your concentration to make your body perform consistently at a very precise level? etc.

There are a lot of psychologist/life coaches who work with athletes such as QBs and who use Golf as a way of teaching bigger lessons in concentration and body control.

NOW, i agree that it's obvious Trent could have maybe used some more time learning when to throw the ball to a spot (instead of a wide open WR) and less time golfing. but Golf is popular among athletes for more reasons than just getting out of the house to drink with your buddies.

edit: and yes, i can almost GUARANTEE that Brady was Golfing in the off-season even early in his career... the difference is, he's good at it. and that brings us back to my point above. Concentration, body control, etc...

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2007/01/...the_pro_bo.html

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...rady-golf_N.htm

http://www.worldgolf.com/blogs/brandon.tuc..._with_goldenboy

first off, please realize that i am no longer defending Jauron, Edwards, or anyone else on this team for that matter.

but with regards to Golf, and QBs playing it... the reason so many do, and/or are pushed to golf, is that it is a 90% mental game. Can you move on from the last shot and put all of your focus into the shot in front of you? Can you use your concentration to make your body perform consistently at a very precise level? etc.

There are a lot of psychologist/life coaches who work with athletes such as QBs and who use Golf as a way of teaching bigger lessons in concentration and body control.

NOW, i agree that it's obvious Trent could have maybe used some more time learning when to throw the ball to a spot (instead of a wide open WR) and less time golfing. but Golf is popular among athletes for more reasons than just getting out of the house to drink with your buddies.

edit: and yes, i can almost GUARANTEE that Brady was Golfing in the off-season even early in his career... the difference is, he's good at it. and that brings us back to my point above. Concentration, body control, etc...

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2007/01/...the_pro_bo.html

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...rady-golf_N.htm

http://www.worldgolf.com/blogs/brandon.tuc..._with_goldenboy

There's a very big gap there in those linked stories. One of them talked about Brady playing a round when he was still a student at Michigan and the others were from '07 and '09. While I have no doubt that Brady played a few rounds here and there early in his career, I seem to remember reading stories where he and Manning were notorious gym rats who practically lived in the film rooms and training facilities of their respective teams.

In the interview I heard from Feb of this year, Trent made it sound like he was on the golf course 24/7. Was Brady doing this after just winning the Superbowl in just his second season? I highly doubt it.

Brady and Manning get plenty of slack now being how they have both solidified HOF careers, having learned everything they needed to learn, they are enjoying their deserved extended kickback time on the links. Edwards was doing this after the team just tanked the last ten games of his second season and without having beat any AFC East opponents.

How Jauron became such a good golfer is beyond me, this guy should have retired a long time ago if that's really what interests him. Winning certainly is not a big priority in his professional job. Ralph needs to hire a guy that doesn't golf and who's only interest is winning football games.