What did Larry Johnson do that was so wrong

Albany,n.y.

I've never been a fan of political correctness & now the NFL is all over Larry Johnson for using the word fag. Well take a look at this and other football message boards & you see gay slurs all the time. It's the culture of sports & athletes. Is Larry Johnson being unfairly singled out? He very well could be. I think the NFL is being very hypocritical here. If they're going to persecute Larry Johnson, maybe they should examine their attitudes before they come down on him. It's no coincindence that no active NFL player has ever come out as gay during his career. Why?-they fear physical retaliation on the field, that's why. Coming down on Larry Johnson for using a word, I'm even seeing he might be suspended, is ridiculous. Don't come down on one player for his language, when the culture of the league supports his thinking. How different is Larry Johnson's attitude than what goes on in churches Sunday mornings before the games?

The NFL has a long way to go before it will ever be called gay friendly. Paying lip service to some activists does nobody any good, who knows the gay equivalent of Al Sharpton may surface at an NFL stadium if the NFL comes down on Johnson. I'm not saying Larry Johnson is completely correct, but what he said in public goes on in NFL locker rooms every day.

The rest of the story is that KC doesn't want to pay Johnson his contract & is looking for a way to recoup money by claiming he breached his contract with his gay slurs. I bet if a high profile player who was producing up to his team's expectations said the same thing, you wouldn't hear any talk of team suspension or trying to terminate his contract.

I think it also has to do with the fact that he slammed the head coach on his twitter account. I can't believe that someone who never played a down of football in his life can be a head coach.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what if someone says they are going to murder you and your family?

what if someone threatens to murder the president?

what if someone calls in a bomb threat to your kid's school or your place of employment?

Well number 2 gets the CIA & FBI on you. Thats a federal crime just to say it!

Also, I understand your sentiment, but you are being a little extreme with these IMO.

B.

Ah yes, the "It happens all the time, anyway" argument to justify bigotry and hatred. Nice.

I don't care where or when it happens, churches or bars. Denigrating gay people, especially in public or on a public forum is wrong. Free speech is great, and Johnson can and should say whatever he wants. Free speech is a great way of proving your stupidity, especially in Johnson's case.

Agreed. That said, the PA probably has to grieve this, and they've got a very, very good chance of prevailing in the grievance.

Have any of you met Haley?

I have. When I heard Pro bowl linemen Waters call him arrogant and alloof, I thought to myself how right those comments were. He is a stuck up arrogant fool. I remember when I met him thinking with all the talent he had around him in Arizona , how come they were so horrible for so long. They had so many weapons they were bound do get to the Big show. And some idiot was bound to hire him as HC. Nice work K.C. I remember seeing Boldin and him fighting on the sideline. Boldin couldnt understand why he wasnt in the game(playoff game) Haleys fat ego was in the way. And when I saw him and warner arguing i realized he didnt much care for todd as well.

Larry has a point the guy is unqualified. He is just another in a long line of good NFL players who has something negative to say to or about Haley. I knew he would stink it up in KC. The guys a loser and he will be out of coaching and back golfing where he belongs.

Larry may not be the perfect person or a good role model but whatever he has bad to say about Haley is probably true.

I am not sure what is worst about this thread. People talking about free speech and acting like free speech doesn't have private consequences, people who think that because this isn't about "free speech" in the constitutional sense that we cannot consider whether there's a problem with what has happened here, people who like Larry Johnson, people making fun of gays or people who are sanctimonious about the whole thing.

While we are on the subject, please don't say that the Bills or anyone "suck." The use of "suck" in that way comes from a description of fellatio and a similar slur for homosexual men. Thank you in advance.

I am not sure what is worst about this thread. People talking about free speech and acting like free speech doesn't have private consequences, people who think that because this isn't about "free speech" in the constitutional sense that we cannot consider whether there's a problem with what has happened here, people who like Larry Johnson, people making fun of gays or people who are sanctimonious about the whole thing.

While we are on the subject, please don't say that the Bills or anyone "suck." The use of "suck" in that way comes from a description of fellatio and a similar slur for homosexual men. Thank you in advance.

Or people acting as if they are above it all pretending they aren't. An act, such as homosexuality, cannot define a person. A person is above an act. Making fun of homosexual acts and the people who do them used to be something which was revered in society as they knew moral norms and displayed disgust either through disdain or through sarcasm.

The biggest problem in all of this is how so many people think homosexuality is fine or normal and believe the greater consequence is the statement and not the depravity in the act.

As Aristotle, the greatest of philosphers, said, "Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying civilization."

Or people acting as if they are above it all pretending they aren't. An act, such as homosexuality, cannot define a person. A person is above an act. Making fun of homosexual acts and the people who do them used to be something which was revered in society as they knew moral norms and displayed disgust either through disdain or through sarcasm.

The biggest problem in all of this is how so many people think homosexuality is fine or normal and believe the greater consequence is the statement and not the depravity in the act.

As Aristotle, the greatest of philosphers, said, "Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying civilization."

I agree with Aristotle, we as a society shouldn't tolerate misguided and ignorant bigotry.

The biggest problem with this is the people who feel they are somehow morally superior and have some (actually any) sort of right to impose their (arbitrary) moral code on the rest of society.

I agree with Aristotle, we as a society shouldn't tolerate misguided and ignorant bigotry.
Of course what Aristotle said/thought isn't what the quote said, and it wasn't spoken by him:

No, this looks like a classic example of fake attribution to add weight to a modern statement - in this case, an anti-liberal slogan circulating on the right-wing / religious web circuit.

It appears in a number of variants, such as "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society", but a thorough look in Google Books finds nothing even like it in any works of Aristotle.

The "tolerance is the last virtue of a depraved society" version seems to be attributed to the modern evangelical minister D James Kennedy.

http://literarytalk.blogspot.com/2009/06/t...s-of-dying.html

Bigots don't realize they are bigots. Stupid people are too stupid to realize they are stupid.

Your avatar and your statement define the exact same stupid people your talking about

Who in your head is a redneck ... its a slur just like fag

I guess its true .. it takes one to no one

You're hot.

The name sums it up.........