Eric Wood

billsfan_34

I will say this: Levitre was the guy who got blown up on the safety. I watched the replay a bunch of times and I still can't quite understand how the DT (#75) basically just got inside of him and tossed him aside. It was a critical error.

Nevertheless, I think the guy's got game and he'll develop into a solid G for us. I'm actually starting to get a little excited for next year when we'll have a group of young offensive linemen with some experience playing together. I'm not sure yet about Bell or Meredith, but I think they have some good potential.

Levitre was the one that was blown up for the safety. It would have been better if we had called a play where Jackson didn't line up 7 yards deep into the end zone.

Woods and Livitre need to get better. They haven't really come together on the run blocking. Woods is clearly stronger and is a keeper. Levitre isn't as strong and needs more size. Coaching is going to play an important part on these guys development. At times I wonder if we have the coaching to do so. My issue is with Hangartner...he plays scared when snapping from the shotgun. Several games he was snapping grounders to TE, I expected better from a veteran. For next year I wouldn't mind drafting a quality guard and tackle lets move Woods to center (his natural position) and make Hangartner a backup.

Levitre was the one that was blown up for the safety. It would have been better if we had called a play where Jackson didn't line up 7 yards deep into the end zone.

Woods and Livitre need to get better. They haven't really come together on the run blocking. Woods is clearly stronger and is a keeper. Levitre isn't as strong and needs more size. Coaching is going to play an important part on these guys development. At times I wonder if we have the coaching to do so. My issue is with Hangartner...he plays scared when snapping from the shotgun. Several games he was snapping grounders to TE, I expected better from a veteran. For next year I wouldn't mind drafting a quality guard and tackle lets move Woods to center (his natural position) and make Hangartner a backup.

I agree....he is ok...considering he has no experience to his left to help him out...but if this kid bulks up - a more than just a little bit, he should be ok long term...but he must get stronger.

Did you watch yesterday's game? Meredith got completely manhandled the entire game. Fitzy got flushed out of the pocket because our starting practice squad player couldn't even get a hand on the DE's.

That is what I would consider great from a 3rd string practice squad tackle blocking one of the NFLs best DEs one on one. You do remember Kirk Chambers Miami performance vrs a former CFL player right? We need 2 more starting tackles.

And you know this how??? If you really do know this, my suggestion to you would be quit your day job, and become an NFL coach. Until that happens give them time, see how they are looking by year end. The best thing a team can do to never improve is to continuously change players. If you keep replacing players with new players drafted or as FA, you'll never improve. Granted you also need to know when to cut your losses on someone, but at this point, Mededith or Bell are not anywhere near that point yet. Teams also can't afford stars at every position, you take them where you get them and have role players fill in the openings.

Yea you are right, I should just sit around for another ten years as the Bills "rebuild" and try to run and pass behind a bunch of other teams cast offs. Not every player on a roster is going to be considered a starter someday. D.Bell has played like crap for 80% of this season. Meredith couldnt make the Packers and Scott was cut from Detroit - sorry if I would like some improvment. Some people out there hate on Lynch for running poorly, but he has no holes. Others hate the QBs, yet they have no protection. Your mentality of accepting what you have is the same mentality that has caused the Bills to miss the playoffs all these years.

PS I said "At this point" they are backup quality tackles. Considering Meredith is a third stringer and Bell is a first time starter simply cause we dont have anything better - please explain to me how they are not backup quality.

I will say this: Levitre was the guy who got blown up on the safety. I watched the replay a bunch of times and I still can't quite understand how the DT (#75) basically just got inside of him and tossed him aside. It was a critical error.

Nevertheless, I think the guy's got game and he'll develop into a solid G for us. I'm actually starting to get a little excited for next year when we'll have a group of young offensive linemen with some experience playing together. I'm not sure yet about Bell or Meredith, but I think they have some good potential.

From seeing the play live and the replays, I thought Levitre was pulling, a rediculous play call when you are on the goaline, backed up agaisnt your own goaline, or short yardage. Levitre turned his shoulders and ran (or so it looked like he tried to)which allowed the DL in both the A and B gaps to run right in and get the safety. Who knows what the call was, but I think he was pulling, which doesnt make it his fault, but the coaches. Knowing our coaches... he was pulling.

You beat me to it. Yep, it was Levitre he got blocked backwards that caused that safety. He's still got some growing to do. Good call.

Why is everyone down on Bell? He didn't look that bad. I am not saying he is the answer but he might be. A LT in the first round would be a safe and prudent choice unless the QB from the Cinci Bearcats is there to draft. A first round tackle could challenge for either tackle spots or either guard spots if Wood moves to Center. Personally though I want a LB in the first round. Give Bell and Meredith the rest of the season and see what happens.

It was Meredith who popped up first, but Wood looked cooler doing it. :thumbsup:

The difference was that while Meredith was just jumping around pointing, when Wood came up he immediately went into a passpro stance to give the appearance that he had been drawn into starting the play.

Meredith's move was a false start on the offense because he wasn't enticed into starting the play, just jumping up and pointing at a guy. Wood's move forced the refs to call the penalty on the defense because he gave the appearance that he'd been drawn into protecting his QB.

Head's up stuff for a rookie.

You beat me to it. Yep, it was Levitre he got blocked backwards that caused that safety. He's still got some growing to do. Good call.

Except it's not a good call.

That play had multiple failures:

1. Fine was charged with single blocking the strong side DE and got blown 3 yards into the endzone - right into Freddie J's lap.

2. Hangartner helped out on Wood's guy and then went to the second level - I'm guessing his initial assignment should have been the slanting weakside DT.

3. Levitre probably should have helped Bell on the weakside DE.

The strongside DE, the weakside DT, and the weakside DE all arrived at Freddie at virtually the same time. No one outside the dressing room knows what blocking assignments should have been executed but there isn't a guard in this game who could make the block everyone is apparently expecting Levitre to handle in that situation.

Regardless of these facts, that play was doomed to failure because Fine can't block my mother, much less a 300 pound DE.

There is plenty of blame for both sides on Peters leaving Buffalo. Pretending otherwise is revisionist history.

But the fact is, we should have signed him a long time ago- and my frustrations with this extend to them foolishly letting Winfield, Pat Williams and Drew Bledsoe go as well- if we kept all those players, we would be a playoff contender. But instead.....

But the fact is, we should have signed him a long time ago- and my frustrations with this extend to them foolishly letting Winfield, Pat Williams and Drew Bledsoe go as well- if we kept all those players, we would be a playoff contender. But instead.....

:unsure: