Trying to pick a honeymoon destination!

PushthePile

My fiance and I are looking to set up a honeymoon and we are searching for others thoughts. The wedding is scheduled for October next year and we are planning on going on the honeymoon immediately after. I'm open to any advice, as I know some of our members are very well traveled.

We are looking for something that offers activities and adventure. We like water stuff, hiking, challenging activities, and really anything that gets the blood pumping. We aren't locked into tropical either. We have already both discussed cabin kind of stuff in Alaska, Colorado, or Washington. The Grand Canyon was an option discussed, neither of us have ever been there. We have also thought a Carribean experience would be fun.

I know this is vague but we are overwhelmed with choices.

Things we don't like:

-she gets seasick so no cruise (although I'm not sure she would feel it on a cruise ship) She's okay on short boating trips

-we don't ski

-we would prefer the comforts of having our own cabin or bungalow in comparison to a hotel. Unless a resort is unique in it's setup.

Thanks in advance! I appreciate anything you want to share.

\

I have stayed at Maho Bay on St. John's(Virgin Islands) several times. I love it.

They have Eco tents which are really cool to stay in and its basically set in a National Park.

You can also stay there and use it as a jumping off point to other islands- get a sail boat ride to other islands for day trips or overnight stays.

Maho Bay

Maho Bay was the first eco lodge in the world....i think....incredible place-great atmosphere!

Tahiti was very nice.

You might also consider Central America. Places like Costa Rica do a lot of catering to honeymooners and offer a lot of 'adventure' type activities.

And as suggested, there are plenty of good options in the Caribbean. Or Bermuda.

Just got back from our honeymoon in French Polynesia less than 2 weeks ago. It was amazing. Very private and exclusive. We flew into Tahiti and did 3 nights on the nearby island of Moorea then midweek traveled to Bora Bora and did 4 nights there. (Bora Bora is where that new movie Couples Retreat was filmed.) All the hotel rooms in FP are "bungalow" style and their specialty are over-water bungalows where the whole thing is on stilts in the water. They all have a glass porthole under the coffee table for watching the sea life from the comfort of your room. Lots of fun activities to do on the islands too (watersports, atv tours, etc.) French Polynesia is VERY expensive but we found it to be well worth the $. If it's in your budget I would highly reccomend it. I've done the Carribean several times and this was a nice "step up" for the once in a lifetime honeymoon (hopefully :w00t: ). I'll link the two hotels we stayed at and would suggest doing some research on tripadvisor if the destination even remotely appeals to you.

Sofitel Moorea

Sofitel Bora Bora

Just got back from our honeymoon in French Polynesia less than 2 weeks ago. It was amazing. Very private and exclusive. We flew into Tahiti and did 3 nights on the nearby island of Moorea then midweek traveled to Bora Bora and did 4 nights there. (Bora Bora is where that new movie Couples Retreat was filmed.) All the hotel rooms in FP are "bungalow" style and their specialty are over-water bungalows where the whole thing is on stilts in the water. They all have a glass porthole under the coffee table for watching the sea life from the comfort of your room. Lots of fun activities to do on the islands too (watersports, atv tours, etc.) French Polynesia is VERY expensive but we found it to be well worth the $. If it's in your budget I would highly reccomend it. I've done the Carribean several times and this was a nice "step up" for the once in a lifetime honeymoon (hopefully :censored: ). I'll link the two hotels we stayed at and would suggest doing some research on tripadvisor if the destination even remotely appeals to you.

Sofitel Moorea

Sofitel Bora Bora

Congrats! We stayed on Moorea for a week. The overwater bunglow was a blast. Pretty amazing to be able to see the sun rise and set over the water from the same spot. Plus....it's all topless beaches in Tahiti. :lol:

And we spent the other week with the crazy Kiwis....

Come on down to New Zealand. It's paradise down here.

New Zealand

My fiance and I are looking to set up a honeymoon and we are searching for others thoughts.

Thanks in advance! I appreciate anything you want to share.

The dollar is very weak these days, and continues to drop in value with this Administrations' unprecedented budget debt, and the ordering of the printing of worthless Treasury obligations.

Take that honeymoon domestically.

Nova Scotia, one of the most beautiful places in the world and its right here, cheap, and offers everything you're looking for.

Fine recommendation. :thumbsup:

October is well after black fly season. However, since the poster contemplates an October honeymoon - might be a little brisk!

Halifax, and the Maritime provinces are enchanting, though.

I heartily recommend the Prince George Hotel:

http://www.princegeorgehotel.com/

The Mrs. and I did 10 days in Costa Rica, it was incredible...Half the time spent in a beautiful, "normal" hotel right on the beach with ocean balcony...The other half spent inland, in a VERY nice villa in the Costa Rican rainforest/jungle. All kinds of hiking, ziplining, exploring, animal viewing, etc. etc. along with 5-star food and lodging. Great trip.

The Mrs. and I did 10 days in Costa Rica, it was incredible...Half the time spent in a beautiful, "normal" hotel right on the beach with ocean balcony...The other half spent inland, in a VERY nice villa in the Costa Rican rainforest/jungle. All kinds of hiking, ziplining, exploring, animal viewing, etc. etc. along with 5-star food and lodging. Great trip.

I'd second that - probably the best trip we've taken. 3 days at the volcano, 5 days on the ocean. Not sure if october is a good season to visit though. Also depends on price.

The dollar is very weak these days, and continues to drop in value with this Administrations' unprecedented budget debt, and the ordering of the printing of worthless Treasury obligations.

Take that honeymoon domestically.

This actually will make more of a difference than most think. My wife and I honeymooned in St. Maarten for 2 weeks, in February...well after football season and before baseball season. It was great and we would love to go back. But everything is priced on the Euro. Right now that just about adds 50% to the cost of your trip (excluding flights).

If you are looking to leave the US, Mexico is not a bad deal right now. Neither are certain places in S. America (Argentina, Costa Rica, but not Brazil). But your options are very limited. I have no knowledge of Tahiti/Bora Bora currency. Too long of a flight for me.

Also, BTW - this Administration is just as bad as the last one for the dollar. The last decent US President for the dollar was Clinton.

All you have to bring, is your love of everything!

Beautiful Mount Airy Lodge!

Edit: The ad!

We took a drive to the Mount Airy Lodge right before it closed for good in the early 90s. It really became a dump, but it reminded me of the place where Johnny Castle and Baby Houseman fell in love.

We took a drive to the Mount Airy Lodge right before it closed for good in the early 90s. It really became a dump, but it reminded me of the place where Johnny Castle and Baby Houseman fell in love.

:w00t::w00t:

What you said reminded me how my father described Venice, Itatly when he was there while in the Army. He had these expectations it would be so nice... Then he gets there and garbage is floatiing in the canals... Like duh, it is the sewer! He has found memories of Schlitz (or whatever) cans floating around while enjoying a gondola ride! :lol: I will give Venice a pass on my father's take, it was the early 1950's after the war and all! :unsure:

For our honeymoon two years ago, my wife and I went to an absolutely awesome place called Sayulita, Mexico. Sayulita is about an hour north of Puerta Villarta by car, so the travel is pretty easy. The town itself is a small fishing/surfing village on the Pacific Coast which is still in the early stages of its evolution toward being a tourist town. Really nice villagers running really small restaurants and shops. No McDonalds withinin 30 miles.

We stayed in a private bungalow in a compound overlooking the Pacific. Absolutely gorgeous -- our bungalow had a deck which had a small infinity pool and a kitchen and living room with french doors that opened completely on to the deck. The bungalow was totally stocked so we had the option of cooking or going out for food. We would wake up in the morning, throw open the french doors, turn on the Bob Marley, brew some coffee, and then switch to beers and margaritas a couple hours later.

Being that it was a proper honeymoon, we didn't venture out too much. :unsure: But when we did, there was a lot of good activities to be had. The one adventure we had was to go zip-lining in the jungle. It wasn't some rinky-dink thing either... there were dozens of separate zip-lines that wound down the mountain into the rain forest. Sayulita is right on the ocean, so there's lots of swimming, surfing, kayaking, fishing, ATV rentals, hiking, etc. We went during the first week in October and the weather was spectacular.

Man, sitting here typing this, I want to go back!

PM me if you want more details or pictures.

Did you see Red or Andy Dufresne there?