Bills to work out DT Tues

+1

Kyle been playing extremely well this year, I don't know what you guys are watching

Even announcers notice his game play is good

I think Kyle is an all or nothing kind of player. He is pretty quick for a DT and relentless when he is trying to get off his blocker on the pass rush. When he is quick enough to squeeze through his gap, he is able to make big plays in the backfield. But when he doesn't, I don't think he is able to hold his ground. He certainly is an easy guy to cheer for given the obvious effort he gives. As much as I like him though, I don't think he is the kind of train wrecker I'd like to see at DT. Kind of reminds me of Jeff Wright and that is meant as a compliment.

I think Kyle is an all or nothing kind of player. He is pretty quick for a DT and relentless when he is trying to get off his blocker on the pass rush. When he is quick enough to squeeze through his gap, he is able to make big plays in the backfield. But when he doesn't, I don't think he is able to hold his ground. He certainly is an easy guy to cheer for given the obvious effort he gives. As much as I like him though, I don't think he is the kind of train wrecker I'd like to see at DT. Kind of reminds me of Jeff Wright and that is meant as a compliment.

Jeff Wright was a better pass rusher but much softer against the run than Williams.

However, I do agree that we need one more DT that can effectively clog up the middle.

DT has not been our problem. Our DEs are terrible against the run and our LBs are all to small to take on any blockers. That is why we are getting torched in the run game............ oh yea and the scheme is god awful against the run unless you have an all world SS who can come into the box and make plays like another Linebacker (like Lynch with TB and Bob Sanders with Indy)

It's probably better to stand on the sidelines and pretend you know something about football. This post is embarassing.

Williams has played his ass off this year.

Exactly. It's amazing how badly people can be off on things like this. Anyone who really thinks that Kyle Williams has been anywhere near a problem on our defense this year needs to take a step back and question whether they should continue to attempt to evaluate the game of football.

I would say that most times you are correct, our ends cannot contain or shed blocks, and our smallish linebacker core gets blown up at the next level, and our safeties and corners take bad angles.... all true.

But I have seen several off-tackle runs that appear to move the pile 6-8 yards a pop, or allow the runner to break right into the secondary. Although Stroud is a MAN, I think our other DTs are a bit too light and ineffective in the interior against the run. Also, we may be more susceptable whenever Stroud is out due to D-line rotation.

We need a real stout DT that can play alongside Stroud and a slightly bigger, tougher middle linebacker. I was happy when they moved Mitchell to the inside which I felt was a more natural position for him although he plays the weakside well and is effective blitzing from there, but his injury was a key loss.

Each year this team gets riddled with injuries, although some have dismissed it as accident I am in the camp that nutrition, flexibility, and proper conditioning does limit the number of injuries. I do think we miss Rusty Jones and although they probably like it the soft camps have not helped these players either.

Bills apparently had 6 DTs in for a visit.

link

Ed Johnson , Antwan Lake, Marlon Favorite, Joshua Leonard, Langston Moore and Rodrique Wright.

ProFootball Talk broke the story about 13 minutes earlier:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...-on-ed-johnson/

It's also a much more interesting read:

"Upon abruptly cutting starting defensive tackle Ed Johnson last week, Colts coach Jim Caldwell vaguely cited performance issues.

He said nothing about weight.

"Probably, just over all, I'd probably like to like to just keep it rather general and say it was production, it was a lack thereof," Caldwell said.

More recently, G.M. Bill Polian said that the problem related to Johnson's weight.

But as we reported last week, Johnson was merely told that he was a whopping three pounds over his target weight of 317 when being dumped.

The explanation prompted Johnson's camp to suspect that the team made the move because of lingering concerns regarding the grievance Johnson filed last year after being cut following an arrest for marijuana possession. The team wanted Johnson to drop the grievance when he was re-signed in May 2009, but Johnson refused.

Meanwhile, Johnson already is getting sniffs elsewhere. Per a league source, Johnson was among six defensive linemen who worked out for the Bills on Tuesday. The others were Marlon Favorite, Antwan Lake, Joshua Leonard, Langston Moore, and Rodrique Wright."

Ed Johnson scouting report from ESPN:

Comment: Johnson has good overall size and quickness. He can penetrate quickly off the ball against the run and has a good first step to run in front of reach blocks, but doesn't always come off the ball with the same burst or pad level. When he gets upright, he will get sealed quickly and has trouble reacting off contact. He is inconsistent with his overall use of hands. When facing double teams, he can show good leverage early, but then rises up and will get sealed or walled off. He gives good effort in lateral flow. He will work to get in on plays downfield, if he gets moved off the line of scrimmage initially. As a pass-rusher, he has good burst off the ball. But, he needs to develop better pass-rush variety. He has some change-of-direction quickness.

He's listed at 6'2" and 296 pounds but as the post above this one states, he was recently weighed at 320 pounds, and the Colts wanted him at 317 pounds max.

He's 25 years old in his 3rd year out of Penn State. He was undrafted.

Ed Johnson scouting report from ESPN:

Comment: Johnson has good overall size and quickness. He can penetrate quickly off the ball against the run and has a good first step to run in front of reach blocks, but doesn't always come off the ball with the same burst or pad level. When he gets upright, he will get sealed quickly and has trouble reacting off contact. He is inconsistent with his overall use of hands. When facing double teams, he can show good leverage early, but then rises up and will get sealed or walled off. He gives good effort in lateral flow. He will work to get in on plays downfield, if he gets moved off the line of scrimmage initially. As a pass-rusher, he has good burst off the ball. But, he needs to develop better pass-rush variety. He has some change-of-direction quickness.

He's listed at 6'2" and 296 pounds but as the post above this one states, he was recently weighed at 320 pounds, and the Colts wanted him at 317 pounds max.

He's 25 years old in his 3rd year out of Penn State. He was undrafted.

Bills should have a hard look at him. Undrafted, true, but this was for off-field issues. Talent wise definitely a first day selection. Not to downplay the problems, but he is a talented, young DT.

May not be a good sign for Williams....the beat goes on.

Williams has a shoulder injury.

He is not being cut, and as evidenced by the Bills lack of movement at the trade deadline, he is not being traded.

Lake is being brought in for depth purposes should Williams not be able to go for a considerable amount of time.

Williams has been a defensive stud this year. Any doubters need to put down the haterade and start watching some games. He is probably the most consistent Bill this year.