Any available Linebackers out there that Bills fans might enjoy on thi

I'm telling you right now, Whitner was a huge problem on BOTH long runs by Thomas Jones. He over pursued (as I've seen him do MANY times) and flew right past Jones, instead of holding contain and stepping in the runners way.

The other issue was Ellison shooting the wrong gaps. This is another problem when trying to contain the run. You don't always need to lay a big hit to stop the run. Just be where you're supposed to be. If you get run over but end up making the tackle, you've done your job.

Someone is teaching these guys to sprint to the line of scrimmage and not hold contain.

My solution for the short term is to replace Ellison with Harris, and Whitner with Wilson. I don't know if they can get the job done, but Whitner and Ellison need to see the bench.

Watch this video: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlig...ones-highlights

At 0:15 watch Whitner only. Unblocked, runs up to the line of scrimmage and reacts late allowing Jones to breeze past him for 64 yards.

At 0:55 again watch Whitner. Once again he's unblocked and gets caught running up to the line of scrimmage in over pursuit. Once again Thomas Jones blasts past him for 71 yards. Byrd took a bad angle on this one also, but the first issue there was Whitner.

I see this every week with Whitner. Are the coaches not giving him an earful on this pathetic run support???

The Bills need a few linebackers that can stop the run on 1st and 2nd down. Any practice squad linebackers, freeagents or recently retired please apply to :

Buffalo Bills Inc..

attn: Fewell/Def. Cor.

1 Bills Drive

Orchard Park, NY 14127-2237

I'd love to see them pickup Derrick Johnson from the Chiefs. (he's on the block)

Get 'er done Russ.

I'd love to see them pickup Derrick Johnson from the Chiefs. (he's on the block)

Get 'er done Russ.

trade TO for Derrick Johnson. He could team with Bowe and Cassell could use him. Get Steve Johnson and Nick Harris more involved

At 0:15 watch Whitner only. Unblocked, runs up to the line of scrimmage and reacts late allowing Jones to breeze past him for 64 yards.

At 0:55 again watch Whitner. Once again he's unblocked and gets caught running up to the line of scrimmage in over pursuit. Once again Thomas Jones blasts past him for 71 yards. Byrd took a bad angle on this one also, but the first issue there was Whitner.

I see this every week with Whitner. Are the coaches not giving him an earful on this pathetic run support???

Both of those runs were abject failures by the LBs and safeties. Overpursuit by the LBs allowed Jones to get into the secondary, and terrible play by both safeties allowed Jones to go real long.

Both of those runs were abject failures by the LBs and safeties. Overpursuit by the LBs allowed Jones to get into the secondary, and terrible play by both safeties allowed Jones to go real long.

aren't most long runs either poor angles by the safety or a bad tackling job? I mean the ballcarrier DOES have to get by the safeties to be able to run that far...

Our defense like most is based on gap integrity. Whitner is maintaining the edge, while the LB should have C and maybe B gaps. While he may be reacting later than we'd like, both of those plays are very poor LB play, not Safety play(Although Byrd did blow the second one).

Our defense like most is based on gap integrity. Whitner is maintaining the edge, while the LB should have C and/or B gaps. While he may be reacting later than we'd like, both of those plays are very poor LB play, not Safety play.

Good post. The LBs were easily taken out of the play or just hit the wrong gap. At times both Stroud and Williams were swallowed up by the OL. I think this is more of a system problem and the players trying to do too much instead of playing more disciplined.

Our defense like most is based on gap integrity. Whitner is maintaining the edge, while the LB should have C and maybe B gaps. While he may be reacting later than we'd like, both of those plays are very poor LB play, not Safety play(Although Byrd did blow the second one).

Going back and looking at it again, it appears on the first long run that Spencer Johnson gets mauled by the Jets o-line and easily pushed out of the play. On the second long run by Jones, Stroud's effort is about as bad as it gets. He was easily pushed to the groud opening up a huge hole.

Ellison runs right into the lead blockers and can't shed them. But Whitner was really bad too.

Wrong, wrong, wrong... I'm not supporting Whitner, but his job on the play at :15 was outside run support. He did that and forced the play back inside. He did his job. It was Ellison getting manhandled by an Olineman that opened that hole. Carbon copy at :55 on the opposite side of the field. Ellison gets manhandled by an Olineman. Both situations were the same guy's responsibility and that guy wasn't Whitner.

Wrong, wrong, wrong... I'm not supporting Whitner, but his job on the play at :15 was outside run support. He did that and forced the play back inside. He did his job. It was Ellison getting manhandled by an Olineman that opened that hole. Carbon copy at :55 on the opposite side of the field. Ellison gets manhandled by an Olineman. Both situations were the same guy's responsibility and that guy wasn't Whitner.

The first play started to the left and was cut back to the right. Whitner had responsibility for backside containment. It would have been nice had he managed the tackle but the entire Bills front was dominated on that play, despite having 8 in the box.

The second play started to the right side and was cut back to the left, it was similar to what happened on the first play. Again Whitner was responsible for backside containment and again he didn't make the tackle. Again the Bills front was totally dominated (this play they had 7 in the box).

Keep in mind also that for much of the game the Jets played a reserve lineman (#76) as an extra tight end. The Bills tended to overpursue/overcompensate, allowing for the cutbacks on each play.

I wouldn't single out Whitner, not when every guy up front is being dominated. It would have been nice had he made one of the two tackles, limiting the Jets to 8-9 yards though.

The Bills need a few linebackers that can stop the run on 1st and 2nd down. Any practice squad linebackers, freeagents or recently retired please apply to :

Buffalo Bills Inc..

attn: Fewell/Def. Cor.

1 Bills Drive

Orchard Park, NY 14127-2237

Well, Banta-Cain from NE just got cut today...could be as good as we can get at this point.

The first play started to the left and was cut back to the right. Whitner had responsibility for backside containment. It would have been nice had he managed the tackle but the entire Bills front was dominated on that play, despite having 8 in the box.

The second play started to the right side and was cut back to the left, it was similar to what happened on the first play. Again Whitner was responsible for backside containment and again he didn't make the tackle. Again the Bills front was totally dominated (this play they had 7 in the box).

Keep in mind also that for much of the game the Jets played a reserve lineman (#76) as an extra tight end. The Bills tended to overpursue/overcompensate, allowing for the cutbacks on each play.

I wouldn't single out Whitner, not when every guy up front is being dominated. It would have been nice had he made one of the two tackles, limiting the Jets to 8-9 yards though.

Not sure where you played football, but when I played the guy who had backside containment's job was to keep the play from getting to the outside and keep the play to the middle of the field.

Again, I'm not trying to say that Whitner couldn't have played it better. I'm just saying... both were cutback runs to the INSIDE. Your weak side linebacker has responsibility for that play... Ellison in both cases and he was simpley OWNED.