I'm Starting To Suspect That The Joke Is On Me

When the temps dip? Hell they need to be able to win when it's great football weather before they worry about winning when the temps dip. For the last few years we have not been able to beat any teams with winning records, hence we get the 7-9 seasons. Now we've slipped to the point where we can't even beat the teams with losing records. We have slid too far away from where we need to be, that's for sure.

And I agree with your point, paying just enough to have a D that can at least keep you in the game into the 4th qtr (and hence make you think maybe we're CLOSE to having a winning team), is foolhardy, if you really wanted a contender team. You've got to have a great offensive line too, and at least a pretty darn good quarterback. But of course that all costs more money. How long have we been saying we need an offensive line? I think that goes back at least 7 or 8 years now.

We've been saying we need an offensive line ever since the Kent Hull/Jim Ritcher group hung up their cleats. Which is to say that we've never replaced the offensive linemen we had back when the Bills were in the Super Bowl.

Obviously that's got to change. Going into the first round of the 2010 draft, the Bills' two biggest needs will be at LT (gaping hole) and, probably, QB. I'm a little more hesitant about taking a QB, both because I'd like to use that pick on a LT, and because it's hard to evaluate Edwards when he doesn't have an offensive line. On the other hand, Edwards hasn't looked good this season at all. And it looks like the Bills will be picking in the top 5 of the draft; giving us access to a higher level of QB prospect than we're used to seeing on draft day.

If we don't get our QB of the future in 2010, we might have to wait a long time before he finally appears. On the other hand, if we take a QB with our first round pick, make him sit all year (as rookie QBs always should), and Edwards plays well, then we could always trade Edwards away for some pretty good draft picks. So right now, I'm leaning toward a QB with that first round pick, assuming that a QB is reasonably close to being the best player available when the Bills pick. Which would mean that the Bills would have to go LT in the second round. They'd have to pick up more OTs on the second day of the draft, because it's obvious we have no depth at the position.

Ralph is a business man. His only business has not been just the Bills through the years. Believe it or not, that is why he is successful with regard to the business end. Being successful doesn't equate to always winning on the field. This is the hair shirt that BFLO wears. The rest of the area could take notice. One can apply Ralph's philosophy to many things in life... And in the end one will always be better for it. They may not have the "glory" or fancy digs, but they are better for it.

When the temps dip? Hell they need to be able to win when it's great football weather before they worry about winning when the temps dip. For the last few years we have not been able to beat any teams with winning records, hence we get the 7-9 seasons. Now we've slipped to the point where we can't even beat the teams with losing records. We have slid too far away from where we need to be, that's for sure.

And I agree with your point, paying just enough to have a D that can at least keep you in the game into the 4th qtr (and hence make you think maybe we're CLOSE to having a winning team), is foolhardy, if you really wanted a contender team. You've got to have a great offensive line too, and at least a pretty darn good quarterback. But of course that all costs more money. How long have we been saying we need an offensive line? I think that goes back at least 7 or 8 years now.

Well, the past two seasons the Bills haven't played well when the temperature drops, which obviously isn't relevant this season. They plain stink when the weather is good, which I didn't explain well.

They need a physical football team that out-muscles opponents, and they don't have it. IIRC, Jim Schwartz and Tony Sparano are two coaches who insisted (the latter with Parcells input) that off-season workouts feature heavy weight lifting and less on other stuff. I know the Cover 2 can work, but it absolutely must have the right personnel to run it. The Bills don't have those players and consistently wear down.

I'm thinking the next first round pick for the Bills is either a OT or DL. And yet we used 3 top picks on OL and DL this past season, though Maybin was a project and not big enough.

Obviously, I have never been able to understand the stupid way that the Bils continue to build this team. Mr. Wilson has been around this league forever. He owned a club with hall of fame players and watched teams like the old Steel Curtain, Cowboy Dynasty, etc. He surely would know after all these years how winning teams are built, even if he is not really a "football guy."

That said, he has been overseeing this nightmare. The man is in the war room and some have alleged that he has final say (I don't know what the deal is, nor do I claim to). Defensive backs are the last stand against opponents scoring touchdowns. I am thinking that he might actually like the idiotic Jauron philosophy of allocating our best resources to defensive backs and gadget players.

These guys can at time keep games close, even if the Bills are getting overpowered physically. Close games can equal fan interest from such a loyal group of fans. This means lots of pure profit, and little need to pay the big bucks to the players who make the biggest difference. Donte Whitner probably makes more than triple the salary of our QB and LT combined, and these are the positions at which stars are needed.

Year after year we crave talented players at important positions and are given Parrish, McKelvin, Whitner, etc. It is statring to make more sense. What a freaking mess. :thumbdown:

In any event...GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh come on man, Ralph had nothing to do with those successful teams. He just hired the right people and probably 100% by mistake.

We've been saying we need an offensive line ever since the Kent Hull/Jim Ritcher group hung up their cleats. Which is to say that we've never replaced the offensive linemen we had back when the Bills were in the Super Bowl.

Obviously that's got to change. Going into the first round of the 2010 draft, the Bills' two biggest needs will be at LT (gaping hole) and, probably, QB. I'm a little more hesitant about taking a QB, both because I'd like to use that pick on a LT, and because it's hard to evaluate Edwards when he doesn't have an offensive line. On the other hand, Edwards hasn't looked good this season at all. And it looks like the Bills will be picking in the top 5 of the draft; giving us access to a higher level of QB prospect than we're used to seeing on draft day.

If we don't get our QB of the future in 2010, we might have to wait a long time before he finally appears. On the other hand, if we take a QB with our first round pick, make him sit all year (as rookie QBs always should), and Edwards plays well, then we could always trade Edwards away for some pretty good draft picks. So right now, I'm leaning toward a QB with that first round pick, assuming that a QB is reasonably close to being the best player available when the Bills pick. Which would mean that the Bills would have to go LT in the second round. They'd have to pick up more OTs on the second day of the draft, because it's obvious we have no depth at the position.

if we don't get our QB of the future in 2010, then we will have another shot at it in 2011, when we again finish in the bottom 5.

seems sort of point less to waste big money on a QB in 2010 (and not fill the LT hole) when he will get killed behind our OL - but that's due to the Bills long range planning

No. Where on earth did I suggest this?

My point is that we have slugs (this includes Losman, in fact he tops the list) year after year at the most important positions and our greatest resources are used defensive backs and gadget players. This makes winning an impossibility.

Bill from NYC, The GM for the Bills is a marketing guru. The most influential members of the organization are Littman and Oberdofer, both finance people. The owner fired a HOF GM in Polian. There is nothing new about how the owner runs his organization. It has been going on for half a century. Wilson is a stubborn and self-absorbed person who is going to do things his way no matter what anyone else thinks. The football business has changed but the Bills owner has not made the adjustment. He is satsified with the status quo because it works for him. :thumbdown: