What do you think Ralph's deal is?

We all know that Ralph is in over his head as the leader of a legitimate football organization, and has made few decent organizational decisions since allowing Polian to run the show in the late 80's.

My question to you is: what do you think is the main driver of Ralph's decisionmaking - is it mainly a) a calculated focus on making a decent profit while keeping the team in Buffalo; b) sincerely trying to win but insisting on giving himself free reign to make the major decisions and determining spending parameters, thus allowing his ego, incompetence and innate thriftiness to determine the product on the field or c) a combination of both?

I think there's evidence to support all of the above. Just curious what you all think. I agree with a previous poster who stated Ralph was on the right track organizationally when he hired Donahoe and gave him full power to run the show, unfortunately TD's inability to hire a strong coach was his undoing. And TD's major PR blunders drove Ralph to retake control of his toy, thus making the franchise the rudderless mess it is today.

Please list all really good decisions made by Ralph in 50 years. You cannot include Polian because that was a blind squirrel finding his nuts. I want a list of good decisions that you knew were good at the time they were made.

I'll start:

1. Bringing back Saban

2. Hiring Knox

that's all I got

I think at this point in the game, Ralph has no support for this team in Detroit (or wherever his family is). The old koot is just playing out the hand now and I bet his familiy see's the Bills as Ralph's Fantasy Football team and will indulge him as such - but support him spending much on the team. When he was younger, he did what he wanted, but at this time, I am sure he is doing it on the cheap....

I think his only consideration for the last few years has been lining up a package for his daughters. I don't like the death tax in general, but in THIS case I wish that the heirs would get $100,000 tax free and a 99% tax on the rest.

Advice to Ralph: take a shower in a Western NY waterfall in January to hasten the inevitable...I believe the death tax in 2010 is near zero.

Advice to Ralph: take a shower in a Western NY waterfall in January to hasten the inevitable...I believe the death tax in 2010 is near zero.

Don't laugh. If the estate tax remains repealed for 2010, you can bet there will be a lot of private Dr. Kevorkians in business next year.

Unfortunately, it sounds like Congress will band-aid that with a $5MM exemption, which means Ralph might live another decade.

Please list all really good decisions made by Ralph in 50 years. You cannot include Polian because that was a blind squirrel finding his nuts. I want a list of good decisions that you knew were good at the time they were made.

I'll start:

1. Bringing back Saban

2. Hiring Knox

that's all I got

How about

1) Buying the Bills

He surrounds himself with yes men and any good football people will go nowheres near the situation. Brandon and Jauron

basically serve the Matt Millen role as we sink.

A nightmare scenario...Hiring Matt Millen as GM could be Ralph's next brilliant move. He'd be a cheap hire and he has a connection to Detroit, two things that Ralph loves. Why have two imposters when you can go get the biggest f-up in football front office history?

I'll start:

1. Bringing back Saban

2. Hiring Knox

that's all I got

I agree. I would add the promotion of Polian but will grant you that how that turned out was mostly luck. He is now trying the same thing with Brandon (promoting a relatively bright underling) and we all see how that's working out.

I think the whole "you should be grateful Buffalo has a team" act has to end. If you own a team, you need to manage it for success. No half ass attempts at running a franchise, regardless of your financial position.

It comes down to this... any man needs to know when it is time to call it quits. Ralph is well past his prime as an owner of a professional football team, just like Levy is past his prime as a coach. Guys like Al Davis need to realize this as well. Everyone can appreciate what these guys have done for their teams in the past and what they have done for the league in general. But like any business, there comes a time where the owner/CEO/President needs to hand down the reigns to the next generation. That time should have been 5-10 years ago, but it's never too late.

Please Ralph... for your fans, for your players, for the team's status in the city of Buffalo... do the right thing and sell the team.

I think the whole "you should be grateful Buffalo has a team" act has to end. If you own a team, you need to manage it for success. No half ass attempts at running a franchise, regardless of your financial position.

It comes down to this... any man needs to know when it is time to call it quits. Ralph is well past his prime as an owner of a professional football team, just like Levy is past his prime as a coach. Guys like Al Davis need to realize this as well. Everyone can appreciate what these guys have done for their teams in the past and what they have done for the league in general. But like any business, there comes a time where the owner/CEO/President needs to hand down the reigns to the next generation. That time should have been 5-10 years ago, but it's never too late.

Please Ralph... for your fans, for your players, for the team's status in the city of Buffalo... do the right thing and sell the team.

Well said. I find it interesting that Ralph has enough loyalty to the people of WNY keep the team in place there yet refuses to run it in a way that doesn't embarrass the fans.

How does Ralph look down at his ring and feel good about his role in this mess?

My friend is convinced that Ralph has mortgaged the Bills to the hilt. Why? To beat the tax man! Get all the value out now. Collateralize the debt with the Bills. When he passes the banks and lawyers will fight over the franchise for years.

PTR

Well said. I find it interesting that Ralph has enough loyalty to the people of WNY keep the team in place there yet refuses to run it in a way that doesn't embarrass the fans.

How does Ralph look down at his ring and feel good about his role in this mess?

That's easy. He never cared to begin with. Anyone who wants to argue that point is doing so out of pure emotion. No proof whatsoever that Ralph has EVER valued anything above the bottom-line.

My friend is convinced that Ralph has mortgaged the Bills to the hilt. Why? To beat the tax man! Get all the value out now. Collateralize the debt with the Bills. When he passes the banks and lawyers will fight over the franchise for years.

PTR

makes sense, can't tax a loan. Not even with a death tax.

PTR

Which would be the only possible result worse than having Ralph own the Bills, since some bankruptcy lawyer would be running the team. How much do you think they'd spend on a GM/coach then? And free agency? :wallbash:

Is it just me, or are the Bills the perfect representation of Dante's First Circle of Hell?

Limbo: Virtuous pagans. Unfulfilled desire and hopelessness.

Limbo is not the horrible place usually associated with the fiery pits of Hell, but instead the punishment for its residents is the loss of Hope; they must exist in desire for the glory of God (or winning), without ever being able to attain it.

I'll start:

1. Bringing back Saban

2. Hiring Knox

that's all I got

Firing Stew Barber