Since Maybin is being swallowed up by NFL tackles

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaron Maybin: 2 tackles.

Brian Orakpo: 13 tackles, 2 sacks, and 1 pass defense.

Just sayin'.

Yeah, but Brian Orakpo went to Texas. Texas! The same team as Mike Williams...and he sucked! Obviously, this means that Orakpo sucks, too!

(This is what passed for logic on this board prior to the draft)

He is a linebacker in the NFL and should be played there

Why, because of his size? He never played LB in college, what would make him a LB in the NFL exactly???

What he's not leading the league in sacks after 4 games?? BUST BUST!!!!! :thumbsup:

Actually he only had three tackles and zero sacks. Not exactly the same thing.

i like the idea of moving him to linebacker, Schobel who is usually injured by this time in the season, seems strong and denney and kelsay have both been playing great too, i say bench ellison and try maybin out there, could he be worse then ellison right now??

Bench Ellison?? Are you insane?? You'd rather play Jon Corto and Ashlee Palmer over Ellison??

This thread has me wondering... "Where'n-a-hell are all the Kelsay haters now?"

Look it up- this cat has never bashed Kelsay. I do bash this twinky Cover-2 (Florida/Dome/Weather-Friendly bottom-Fag Defensive Scheme).

Give Maybin a chance- he's a Rookie (remember?) on a poorly coached team with an offensive offense, playing within a piss-poor & umimaginitive scheme. Frankly, he ought to be utilized as a weapon/decoy... lining up in both LB & DT positions. ...but, that would required innovative coaching... something our silly little ghostly IVY League waif doesn't 'get'.

Our colleges & Universities are nothing but cesspools of Liberalism (face it)... an Ivy League branded brain... at the helm of our sinking ship... I'd rather have my mechanic coaching our team. He looks like Wade Phillips.

On that subject- I say, bring on the 'WE WANT RUSH' signs of protest on Sunday. And, there had better be a chant of 'DICK MUST GO' during Ralph's half-time blabbergaster.

PS- For you Ivy Leagqueers, I do start sentences with 'And'. ...gotta problem with that? I imagine you do... since bad verbage gets the point accrossed, whilst you're still trying to act British (Prim, proper & gay). Go brush your teeth.

You're an idiot on multiple levels. Not worth addressing individually.

The pathetic thing is when fans expect first-year DEs to make a big impact in their first year when over and over we see that even the guys who turn out to be excellent DEs simply don't look good in their first year.

It's like buying cake and being frustrated because it isn't ice cream.

We'll know if Maybin is good next year.

Aaron Maybin: 2 tackles.

Brian Orakpo: 13 tackles, 2 sacks, and 1 pass defense.

Just sayin'.

Thank you. You beat me to it. Orakpo is actually up to 2.5 sacks and 15 tackles after this Sunday's game. But hey, Maybin is up to three tackles. And zero sacks.

Maybe you should give it a try. You're the one trying to play board police, not I.

He's old and crotchety. Welcome to the board. Besides, if you think there isn't going to be an Orakpo comparison every time Aaron Maybin is mentioned (off-topic or not) you're simply mistaken.

I said before the draft that Maybin had BUST written all over him. He's Eric Flowers redux . . .

Teams that don't learn from their mistakes are doomed to repeat them.

Just because you call a chicken a duck doesn't make it a duck. They can call Maybin an NFL defensive end but it doesn't necessarily make him one.

Only 1. Bruce Smith. There were better QBs in the NFL during Kelly's entire career. Jerry rice was the "one" from that generation. You may argue that Cornelius Bennett was a once in a generation type of linebacker, but then again there was that Lawrence guy that basically busted that theory. Thurman was a great back, but he benefited from playing on a team laden with offensive weaponry. Thurman would not have been nearly as successful if he was the primary workhorse on a run it down your throat and play killer defense type of team.

Thurnan was not a run-it-down-your-throat back, so it definitely wouldn't have worked, and it would have been a similar situation to what we are doing now, with the misuse of players. Kelly was also, to my understanding, the only QB that completely ran his offense...not just his audibles, but called every play. Maybe if you pick up the 50th anniversary DVD you will recall how special those teams were. Kelly was a winner (with the glaring exception of the big game) and losing was never acceptable to him. Reed, Thomas, Smith, Talley, Bennett, Conlon...the whole lot was winners. They knew how to win, and losing was unacceptable. It would be nice if a couple of them came back around this team and instilled that attitude, and shared their experiences.

As far as Maybin goes... How could we go wrong sticking him at LB. The man if undeniably athletic, and not having an exceptional athlete (who happens to fit in the mold of an NFL LB) on the field is a crime. We are depleted by injuries, and the UDFA we have scattered all over the place could only be helped by a 1st round pick being on the field with them. In the light of what transpired on Sunday, we are probably going to have to give it a whirl, or else we will sign some practice squad hack, and keep Maybin on the bench...does that make sense?

I keep waiting to hear the good news that this sad-sack coaching staff is sh*t-canned...but no such luck. I am a Trent fan, and think with a some proper coaching he will be fine. I love to point out that our team is pretty talented on the offensive side of the ball, it's just the coaching that is killing a potentially potent offense, OL or not.

I looked up the stats and Orakpo has had a sack in each of his last 3 games. He had a half-sack against Carolina, but I was watching that game and he dominated Jordan Gross a few times. Hes up to 2.5 on the year, leading all rookies.

Why can't we get Maybin on the field?

The big difference here is that the Skins plugged Orakpo in as the starter from Day 1 (and he was in camp on time) while Maybin was relegated to back up/situational status from the beginning. (and missed over half of pre-season) Is this because Maybin sucks, or because our coaching staff refuses to allow a young player to take on a major role? The history under Jauron has been the later. Comparisons at this point do not mean much. The guy is only seeing the field for a handful of plays each week.

It also may well be that he is much better suited to the role the Skins have Orakpo playing - OLB. Again, we will never know under this coaching staff.

The big difference here is that the Skins plugged Orakpo in as the starter from Day 1 (and he was in camp on time) while Maybin was relegated to back up/situational status from the beginning. (and missed over half of pre-season) Is this because Maybin sucks, or because our coaching staff refuses to allow a young player to take on a major role? The history under Jauron has been the later. Comparisons at this point do not mean much. The guy is only seeing the field for a handful of plays each week.

It also may well be that he is much better suited to the role the Skins have Orakpo playing - OLB. Again, we will never know under this coaching staff.

It didn't matter. Maybin was going to going to be a situational pass rusher from the beginning - he didn't have the size to be an every down DE. Orakpo so far is justifying his #13 overal pick; Maybin hasn't come close.