Since most everyone is writing the season off, what about ...

He's 31, and the Bills aren't going to the playoffs either this year or next. At a certain point, you have to shift to future planning mode. He was brought in to get the Bills to the playoffs last year and this year. The plan failed, although he wasn't the reason for the failure.

Thought we started doing that when we hired Levy as GM? :wallbash:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cowboys traded two firsts for a worse player last year (Roy Williams). The Jets just traded two guys and two picks for a malcontent. The Raiders traded a first for Seymour. Jobs are on the line in Chargerland, and they need to win that division this year. They aren't going to do it with the defensive line they have now.

Three out of the four teams you mention will most likely be playing in the post-season. The same three teams also have quarterbacks. Getting draft picks is useless when we never pick the right players, anyway. Get some free agents in there, or trade for some veterans. Starting at QB.

I doubt we'd net a first for him. If we could, you'd have to consider it, but it wouldn't be because I expect a drop-off in his play. There's no reason he couldn't continue to be a productive player into his mid-30s. I justified the Bills letting Pat Williams go because I thought he'd decline, but I'm not going to make that mistake again. Unless the deal is in fact for a first rounder, I wouldn't want to see it happen. And I don't think anyone will offer that.

The Panthers are desperate for a DT. They lost two for the season already.

The problem is they are winless and may not feel the need to trade for one this year. They also, do not have a 1st round pick next year, so even a 2nd round pick would be a huge commitment for them for this year.

A couple reasons why that is a bad idea:

1. No way he gets a 1st round pick, maybe a 4th at best.

2. He is one of the few veteran players we have who are under contract and would be worth keeping.

3. What has this organization done with draft picks lately, not too much. What is another 4th round pick? Another Ashton Youboty? I would rather have Stroud myself.

As much as I like Stroud as a player, he's not going to be an important player when the Bills finally become good (assuming they ever do). The Chargers, for instance, are really desperate for a DT, and they're not the only ones. The Cowboys come to mind too. I know a first rounder would be difficult to get, but desperate teams sometimes resort to desperate measures. If the Bills end up with two first rounders (one a high pick, the other in the mid-20s), they might be able to move up further and draft a QB or sit tight and and land both a blue chip DT and an OT. (They do need to draft a QB early, however.)

It's really just a thought experiment, but this team is going nowhere, and they're going to have to build through the draft.

This would be classic bills. Take a guy who is a proven quantity in a position with zero depth and trade him for a baby faced turd who hasn't proven himself, will want more cash, and will play in a different position (i.e. leaving a hole at DT).

not just no. Hell no.

I doubt we'd net a first for him. If we could, you'd have to consider it, but it wouldn't be because I expect a drop-off in his play. There's no reason he couldn't continue to be a productive player into his mid-30s. I justified the Bills letting Pat Williams go because I thought he'd decline, but I'm not going to make that mistake again. Unless the deal is in fact for a first rounder, I wouldn't want to see it happen. And I don't think anyone will offer that.

I thought it was a terrible idea to let Williams go, but that was a money issue - the Bills didn't want to pay him. They actually received nothing for him. I think that Stroud has something left in the tank, which is why I'd try and get a first. This is all purely in the realm of conjecture, and I doubt anything would happen, but if someone offered a second, I'd be opposed to trading him. The Bills need to solve their dilemma at the game's most important position - QB - once and for all.

A couple reasons why that is a bad idea:

1. No way he gets a 1st round pick, maybe a 4th at best.

2. He is one of the few veteran players we have who are under contract and would be worth keeping.

3. What has this organization done with draft picks lately, not too much. What is another 4th round pick? Another Ashton Youboty? I would rather have Stroud myself.

Who is talking about a 4th rounder? Certainly not I.

Because the Bills need a blue-chip QB. Jim Kelly was a top 15 pick, and that was the last time they drafted a QB that high. It's also the last time they were good. Also, the coaching staff probably isn't going to be around come next April.

drafting in the top 15 doesn't gurantee a QB...

i wouldnt trade stroud period. Big DTs who are athletic are hard to come by. Draft picks are devalued on this team anyway because we tend to draft busts. If we should consider trading anyone it should be Schoebl. He has really come on this season but I think he probably only has 1-2 yrs left.

No trade. I personally think there is enough talent to win/compete (Owens, Evans, Lynch, Jackson, Stroud, Schoebel, etc.). The biggest problem is the coaching. I believe the players are underachieving tremendously due to poor coaching, game planning, play calling, and game day decisions. A new front office and a new coaching staff could transform the team. IMO.

As much as I like Stroud as a player, he's not going to be an important player when the Bills finally become good (assuming they ever do). The Chargers, for instance, are really desperate for a DT, and they're not the only ones. The Cowboys come to mind too. I know a first rounder would be difficult to get, but desperate teams sometimes resort to desperate measures. If the Bills end up with two first rounders (one a high pick, the other in the mid-20s), they might be able to move up further and draft a QB or sit tight and and land both a blue chip DT and an OT. (They do need to draft a QB early, however.)

It's really just a thought experiment, but this team is going nowhere, and they're going to have to build through the draft.

These are the same thoughts/arguments people made about Pat Williams....wait, he's still playing at a high level isn't he?

These are the same thoughts/arguments people made about Pat Williams....wait, he's still playing at a high level isn't he?

Actually, they aren't, because the Bills didn't actually trade Williams for a high draft pick. In fact, they let him walk and received nothing.

Guest three3

trade stroud, evans, owens. fire jauron and the entire inner circle of tards. give control to one of the available great football minds. rebuild and do it the right way

At this point, even if the front office does decide to bag the season and really start rebuilding, I'm not confident that if we do get some 1-3rd round picks that they would draft the right guys. (i.e. Losman instead of Big Ben, Whitner over Ngata... so on and so forth)