Somebody explain the O-line situation to me...

RayFinkle

At the end of last season, it was clear the Bills were set at both T positions as well as RG. We go into the offseason, sign a capable C and then make the decision to blow the whole damn thing up.

I just don't get it.

What would have been wrong with an EXPERIENCED line of Peters, Levitre, Hangartner, Butler, Walker?.....with Bell waiting and developing in the wings.

At the end of last season, it was clear the Bills were set at both T positions as well as RG. We go into the offseason, sign a capable C and then make the decision to blow the whole damn thing up.

I just don't get it.

What would have been wrong with an EXPERIENCED line of Peters, Levitre, Hangartner, Butler, Walker?.....with Bell waiting and developing in the wings.

$$

I just don't get it.

Blowing up the offensive line, letting Peters go, hoping two (promising) rookies on the O-line would play like veterans in year one, hoping Bell would be a capable replacement for Peters, ..... was a big risk for Jauron, Brandon, and company.

Taking the risk means the Bills will likely miss the playoffs. And cost Jauron his job.

ps We need a football man as a general manager, not a marketing whiz!!!

I just don't get it.

That would be sensible therefore unacceptable at OBD. Remember Peters is the anti-Christ for wanting more money.

I just don't get it.

Hark... I hear the comments of preseason returning to me. Those who grabbed at straws that Buffalo might have a decent year refused to believe that having the cheapest salaries in the NFL would bring about doom. Ralph actually was beginning to fold up the tent when the millenium turned. He has consistently hired the cheapest coaches available and refused to pay outstanding veterans. Therefore, we have the closest to an "all rookie and journeyman" team as you can get. But there is a positive to every negative. We can be entertained by those who will swear that it's not Ralph's fault.

The only time I can say that Ralph did not consider the bottom line first, was when he refused to let Rich continue to have the naming rights to the stadium. His rationale for passing up the million dollars was that he didn't want the stadium to be named for an individual. Of course, it became Ralph Wilson stadium. Which is why other owners bring that issue up (of selling stadium naming rights) every time Ralph wants a bigger share of the NFL pot.

Still not sure who is to blame for what happened with Peters, but it was extremely poor judgment by the front office to go into the season with this o-line. Two rookies playing new positions, a center who was a back-up for another team last year, a LT who had never started and had back problems before the season began, and a RT who had not played that position since college. Realizing every team experiences injuries, how could the front office expect the o-line to have success this year?

Remember, the o-line actually played pretty good until the lost BOTH starting tackles, and have become even younger and more inexperienced because of it.

Peters struggled last year and was voted a Pro-Bowler off his previous play (something that many analists have said happens in Pro Bowl voting with o-linemen) Peters wasn't going to stay unless he was payed as a the highest olinemen in the league. Bell held his own until he got hurt. Walker was cut because he was uninterested in playing LT.

what would have been wrong with Oher, Wood, Hangartner, Butler and Walker...at least there would have been some consistency on the right side

going into a season with 4 new starters and the lone remaining starter switching positions is absolutely insane...this is the NFL, not high school

I just don't get it.

I agree. The line was decent except for center. I truly hoped the Bills would go after Matt Birk but nothing happened. Peters-Dockery-Birk-Butler-Walker would have been nice to start the year. But what do I know compared to the professionals at OBD. :w00t:

what would have been wrong with Oher, Wood, Hangartner, Butler and Walker...at least there would have been some consistency on the right side

going into a season with 4 new starters and the lone remaining starter switching positions is absolutely insane...this is the NFL, not high school

Oher is a right tackle, not left. I think the O-line has been pretty good despite some rookie mistakes. Bell has had penalties but otherwise I liked his play until he got hurt. Injuries man, injuries. Having Chambers and Scott as bookend is not where I thought we'd be in week four. Otherwise I'd vote the experiment a success.

Oher is a right tackle, not left. I think the O-line has been pretty good despite some rookie mistakes. Bell has had penalties but otherwise I liked his play until he got hurt. Injuries man, injuries. Having Chambers and Scott as bookend is not where I thought we'd be in week four. Otherwise I'd vote the experiment a success.

really? Oher didnt play LT in college since 2006 and wasnt drafted to play LT but is starting his career at RT like a lot of tackles do?

if you are going to correct someone you better make sure you are right which in this case you are not

Oher played LT in college and is starting out his NFL career at RT like a lot of tackles do but he is a LT and will eventually move there which will probably be sooner rather then later

Guest dog14787
Blowing up the offensive line, letting Peters go, hoping two (promising) rookies on the O-line would play like veterans in year one, hoping Bell would be a capable replacement for Peters, ..... was a big risk for Jauron, Brandon, and company.

Taking the risk means the Bills will likely miss the playoffs. And cost Jauron his job.

ps We need a football man as a general manager, not a marketing whiz!!!

amen to that

then who would replace Aaron maybin on the bench?

It's working out great so far.