Which NFL team reminds you of our Bills?

major

I've been trying to figure out which NFL team reminds me of our Bills. Right now, I would have to say the Oakland Raiders and the Bills seem to be twins. I just wish we had some of their Super Bowl rings. Seriously, signing Owens seems like the Moss signing of the Raiders a few years back. Our owners are practically the same- Ralph and Al have gone through coaches left and right over the past 15 years. The cities of Oakland and Buffalo are similar in a few respects- thank God we don't have the gang problems they have. Our fan bases are both great- we just don't wear the halloween costumes week in and week out like they do. I could go on, but I think you get my point.

Can you think of another team that would be our identical twin (if you look at their history and the current situation)?

cleveland

- rust belt lake erie cities

- never won a super bowl

- havent been to playoffs in ages

- on wrong end of last minute epic playoff losses (wide right in buffalo, the drive in cleveland)

- have some talent at wide receiver that under utilized

- can't get settled at QB

- can't get settled at head coach

- both suck again this year

Fun observation Major....All I can say is that at least Ralph isn't wearing a 70's polyester suit like Al Davis still wears. And Ralph doesn't look like Yoda. The Bills are unique. Only two teams I can think of..One Minnesota---4 NFC championships.....no rings.....Two---Jacksonville..small market team, early success... Jax started doing well...And since suffered in mediocrity. But the Bills are unique. They are so ingrained in our community, our minds and in our hearts, that its hard to think of Buffalo without the Bills. I'm sure Minnesota feels the same way about the Vikes. But Jax doesn't care about the Jags. So we're an oddity. A small market team with an avid fan base. Win or lose. Maybe its good or maybe its bad..I don't know.....I went through my years of giving up on them...Two 2-14 seasons in a row are tough to live with. But when I bleed my red blood cells are shaped like little standing red buffaloes.

Could be Cleveland, but when I think of the owner and front office I think of Cincinnati. Another team that had a good run in the 90s, then went back to their inept organization ways, showing occasional sparks of hope, but then falling back into mediocrity through poor coaching, lack of talent, and injuries.

cleveland

- rust belt lake erie cities

- never won a super bowl

- havent been to playoffs in ages

- on wrong end of last minute epic playoff losses (wide right in buffalo, the drive in cleveland)

- have some talent at wide receiver that under utilized

- can't get settled at QB

- can't get settled at head coach

- both suck again this year

Game. Set. Match.

Another one is maybe San Diego...2 AFL teams, moments of brilliance here and there but a lot of heartache as well.

The Raiders are in much worse shape that we are, and have been since that Super Bowl. We've been toiling in mediocrity, but other than 2001, we haven't had a truly humiliating season. We're just never good enough. After 2002, our worst season (5-11) equals their best.

Major - difference between Moss and Owens is that the Raiders had to give up the 7th overall pick.

No team is like the Bills both past and present. The Browns and Raiders have both been much worse recently than the Bills. For the decade, the best comparison is the Texans - a team that has been in the middle of the league in a division dominated by one team with the other two teams having their moments of competitiveness.

Major - difference between Moss and Owens is that the Raiders had to give up the 7th overall pick.

No team is like the Bills both past and present. The Browns and Raiders have both been much worse recently than the Bills. For the decade, the best comparison is the Texans - a team that has been in the middle of the league in a division dominated by one team with the other two teams having their moments of competitiveness.

I thought Houston first as well. Having lived in Cleveland for a few years the fans there certainly have some of the same pessimism that's been dominating our fan base lately. Although I think that the sense of doom is stronger there because it's hit in ALL of their sports: football as mentioned, NBA with Jordan crushing the quite-good Cav's, MLB with the Indians getting to the World Series a few times including a 1 run lead in Game 7 in the bottom of the 9th and still losing. They really feel cursed there. They also seem to REALLY suck much more often.

The Bills are just mediocre/bad. They generally beat the really crappy teams and generally lose to the good teams. They seem fundamentally flawed and they just can't seem to crawl out of that hole.

I've been trying to figure out which NFL team reminds me of our Bills. Right now, I would have to say the Oakland Raiders and the Bills seem to be twins. I just wish we had some of their Super Bowl rings. Seriously, signing Owens seems like the Moss signing of the Raiders a few years back. Our owners are practically the same- Ralph and Al have gone through coaches left and right over the past 15 years. The cities of Oakland and Buffalo are similar in a few respects- thank God we don't have the gang problems they have. Our fan bases are both great- we just don't wear the halloween costumes week in and week out like they do. I could go on, but I think you get my point.

Can you think of another team that would be our identical twin (if you look at their history and the current situation)?

seattle comes to mind switch uniforms and i bet you would never know the difference with the injuries and all.

Cleveland is our twin

And Pittsburgh is the Bills and Browns older brother. The kind of older brother that is an honor student, varsity athlete, prom king who is dating a cheerleader

No matter how hard we try, we just can't seem to compete with our big brother

I think if you are just going by the current season, I would say the Carolina Panthers. They play hard as evidenced by their Monday nite game against Dallas, but they are small on defense, have a very erratic QB, and also have a good running game. You know they are going to come to play almost every week, but their talent level at a lot of positions is just not that strong. Similar to us. We play hard, but are just not stacked with a lot of very good to great players.

Could be Cleveland, but when I think of the owner and front office I think of Cincinnati. Another team that had a good run in the 90s, then went back to their inept organization ways, showing occasional sparks of hope, but then falling back into mediocrity through poor coaching, lack of talent, and injuries.

My vote is for Cinci as well. They mirror the Bills more than any other team.

I think if you are just going by the current season, I would say the Carolina Panthers. They play hard as evidenced by their Monday nite game against Dallas, but they are small on defense, have a very erratic QB, and also have a good running game. You know they are going to come to play almost every week, but their talent level at a lot of positions is just not that strong. Similar to us. We play hard, but are just not stacked with a lot of very good to great players.

with all due respect, i think you're falling into the line of reasoning the incompetent coach jauron would like you to. when healthy, our talent is actually compares favorably to the competition:

- excellent defensive backfield

- defensive line that can pressure the QB and hold its own against the run WHEN it has support from the Bills offense

- competent if unheralded linebackers

- one of the best pair of running backs in the league

- one of the best pair of wide receivers in the league

- competent if unexciting QB

- young oline that has exceeded many expectations

- competent field gold kicker

- the best punter

- punt returner with best return average in history

some weaknesses? sure. but no team is perfect. completely healthy? no, but injuriers are part of the game for every team

the talent is there to be competitive, the incompetent yet manipulative head coach is the problem

You have some good points but I think the Texans draft a lot smarter than us and thus are closer to becoming a playoff competetive team. I give them a lot of credit for not drafting the media favorite Reggie Bush and going w/ Williams.