Sully tells it like it is.

BLZFAN4LIFE

I used to play in the same City of Buffalo softball league as Jerry Sullivan. One game he was playing third base and as the base runner approached, Sullivan decoyed an incoming throw from the outfield in order to keep the runner from rounding third and heading for home. Thing is, you don't do crap like that in a slow-pitch softball game. The base runner was a middle aged, slightly overweight guy. If he thinks the throw is coming and decides to slide he could hurt himself. I was coaching third base and told him that he breached protocol by decoying a throw when none was coming. Sullivan said he was just trying to help the team win. To me that's like a base runner taking out the shortstop because he's trying to break up a double play. In slow-pitch softball.

who the !@#$ does that in a slow-pitch softball game?

Just a guess, but I imagine that Sullivan didn't play much sports growing up.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This article is Sully at both his best and his worst. Best -- calling out Jauron for the "coaching not to lose big" mentality. Worst -- calling the Bills cheap when the facts say otherwise.

I'm through defending Jauron. He may be a great guy and may actually be a good Monday thru Saturday head coach -- but he sucks ass on Sunday.

I'd love to see Jon Gruden on the Bills' sideline. Pipe dream, I know.

I guess you can foot some of the people, some of the time and many of the people in Buffalo ALL of the time.

7 minutes is a long time and our defense was playing well. We have been awful in short yardage for years, having to pass way too much. Edwards was playing atrociously. Putting the game back in our defense's hands was a higher percentage call in that situation.

People that think Sullivan is insightful are just as lame as those who think that moron Cowherd is........Learn to think for yourself. By the way, neither Miami nor Cleveland are gimmees.

I guess you can foot some of the people, some of the time and many of the people in Buffalo ALL of the time.

7 minutes is a long time and our defense was playing well. We have been awful in short yardage for years, having to pass way too much. Edwards was playing atrociously. Putting the game back in our defense's hands was a higher percentage call in that situation.

People that think Sullivan is insightful are just as lame as those who think that moron Cowherd is........Learn to think for yourself. By the way, neither Miami nor Cleveland are gimmees.

I completely agree. He kept paraphrasing Jauron like, "He said he just wanted to keep it close and play not to lose by alot."

Not what Dick said at all. He simply said that the defense had fought so hard to hold down the saints and keep it close, that in his opinion it was still too early to gamble the game on that one play. In hindsight of course, the defense collapsed and it was over. But they played so well, it almost seemed only fair to give them another shot at holding them rather than possibly turning the ball over deep in our territory with so much time left on the clock.

Now, reasonable people can differ as to whether that was the right decision (I favored going for it because I kind of felt it was only matter of time before the defense collapsed), but in NO WAY did Jauron say that his decision was made for the purpose of not losing by a lot of points, or so that they could lose close as Sullivan puts it. He even went so far as to suggest that Dick was trying to get moral victory points in support of keeping his job. Dick Jauron may be a lot of things, but sacrificing his defenses' effort for purposes of gaining favor to keep his job is not one of them.

I had to turn the channel.

im still baffled by "coaching not to lose" phrase.... that means youre coaching to tie or win???? hes a conservative coach and certianly not the only NFL coach who would punt on 4and1 at your own 35 down by 10 with about 7 or 8 mins to play. THe bills offense wasnt playing well and its a biiiiig gamble.

im still baffled by "coaching not to lose" phrase.... that means youre coaching to tie or win???? hes a conservative coach and certianly not the only NFL coach who would punt on 4and1 at your own 35 down by 10 with about 7 or 8 mins to play. THe bills offense wasnt playing well and its a biiiiig gamble.

Coaching not to lose is a phrase generated by the talking heads, which captivates simpletons. Playing conservatively and playing the percentages is an attempt to win. People who parrot that tend to be the same lemmings that listen to talk radio every day.

You're losing by 2 scores. There are 7 minutes left in the game. How's is putting the game back in your defense's hands the higher percentage way to score? We were running out of time, it was a yard (or less), we have a really good RB, you go for it and try to keep the scoring opportunity alive.

You're losing by 2 scores. There are 7 minutes left in the game. How's is putting the game back in your defense's hands the higher percentage way to score? We were running out of time, it was a yard (or less), we have a really good RB, you go for it and try to keep the scoring opportunity alive.

How much do we run the ball on 4th-and-1? On 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 we almost always pass, because we get little push. I don't like always being put in the position of defending Jauron, because he isn't great, but it was obviously the right call.

How much do we run the ball on 4th-and-1? On 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 we almost always pass, because we get little push. I don't like always being put in the position of defending Jauron, because he isn't great, but it was obviously the right call.

Well, ok. If they're gonna go no back, 4 WR set and try to throw for a yard; then yeah I agree with you. However, I was thinking how many times has Jackson been stopped for no gain? Run him and get the 1st down.

Well, ok. If they're gonna go no back, 4 WR set and try to throw for a yard; then yeah I agree with you. However, I was thinking how many times has Jackson been stopped for no gain? Run him and get the 1st down.

You have to break that down by down and distance- 3rd and 4th downs with short yardage over the past few seasons, we have been absolutely horrible- and pass much more than run. Our interior line is better than it has been, but still isn't good, particularly with the Hangartner injury. I don't trust Edwards throwing the ball on 4th from our 29 either. Going for it probably ends the game at that point.

There is a reason Sully still writes for the snooze and hasn't moved on like so many of his counterparts (Jim Kelly, Vic Carruci, Tim Graham, etc...)

He is a one trick pony who found a niche in the Buffalo market. Writing negative, sarcastic pieces about a sports franchise in Buffalo is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Holy Shizzy

You nailed it!

Eloquent, accurate, and verbally economical.

What- that we have a bad football team? That the Owens instead of Peters decision failed? That we don't have a QB? Oh wait, it all is the coach's fault........Life is so simple when you let Jerry Sullivan and WGR thing for you, isn't it

What- that we have a bad football team? That the Owens instead of Peters decision failed? That we don't have a QB? Oh wait, it all is the coach's fault........Life is so simple when you let Jerry Sullivan and WGR thing for you, isn't it

Dick Jauron sucks.

Ralph Wilson is cheap.

The '09 season may be circling the drain as we speak.

Dick Jauron sucks.

Ralph Wilson is cheap.

The '09 season may be circling the drain as we speak.

It was before opening day kickoff. Wilson has opened his wallet many times for free agents. Jauron is mediocre. We are soft on both sides of the line, yet fans rally around people like themselves- like Parrish who will never amount to anything

It was before opening day kickoff. Wilson has opened his wallet many times for free agents. Jauron is mediocre. We are soft on both sides of the line, yet fans rally around people like themselves- like Parrish who will never amount to anything

So you agree with Sullivan's assessment.

You MUST go for it in that situation. Painfully obvious. Dicky J may have lost his team over that cowardly decision.

If we go for it and don't get it (we wouldn't), we end up needing at least 2 TD's. In the situation we were in, we needed a TD and a field goal. Our defense was playing very well up to that point. Factor out emotion and its easy to make that decision to punt.

If we go for it and don't get it (we wouldn't), we end up needing at least 2 TD's. In the situation we were in, we needed a TD and a field goal. Our defense was playing very well up to that point. Factor out emotion and its easy to make that decision to punt.

Sorry Adam, but we were down by 10 with 7:41 to go IN THE GAME. We needed 10 to tie and 14 to take the lead. If you don't have enough confidence in your offense to gain less than 1 yard, how the hell do you expect them to score 10 points IF they get the ball back WITH LESS TIME on the clock. This one was a no-brainer and gutless Dick "the scarecrow" Jauron failed miserably.