Trent Edwards - Where do you stand?

MURTR

Trent Edwards  

247 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of Trent Edwards

• He still is young, let him ride out the year.
    • I wish I could put a gun to his head and make him throw to a WR, bring on the Ryan Fitzpatrick Experience.
    • This seasons over, bring in a real veteran QB in the offseason and force TE to win the job
    • This season is over, draft a QB early and have TE keep things warm for him.
    • I don't care

Really? After the defense kept us in it all day against the best offense in the league, and Edwards and the offense looked like crap again and again?

The defense had to break at some point because Captain CheckDown and Colonal Conservative couldn't get the ball moving. It was 3rd and 25 and what does TE do? throws a 5 yard check down. Not very good QB play. Chuck that thing down the field and give someone a chance to fight for it. If you lose games it doesn't matter what your QB rating is at the end of the day. Also the Bills need to get passes to TO. Stop using him as decoy and get him the ball. I would have supported anything negative coming from his mouth this week. In Philly and Dallas he complained but had little to complain about. Here he has everything to complain about. Defenses are looking at TE and know he won't go deep, so they play short.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787
Please show me one fabrication...

Jon Gruden also hates young QB's, especially ones that play like Trent.

This comment was not only fabricated, it shows how ignorant you are.

Jon Gruden also hates young QB's, especially ones that play like Trent.

This comment was not only fabricated, it shows how ignorant you are.

Gruden himself has stated countless times he prefers a vet to a young QB...look at his body of work at every stop in the NFL and it shows you the same thing...

So how is this fabricated? Ok, I will change the way I wrote it...

"Jon Gruden prefers veteran QB's over young QB's, so if he came to Buffalo he more than likely brings in a Vet to at least push Trent and Trent would likely be on a very short leash"

Is that better? If you have a problem with Gruden prefering vets to young QB's, then go take it up with him...

Maybe he needs a sit-down with Jim Kelly. I'm personally sick of the tendency of the team (and some fans) to go into panic mode with our QBs. Whatever happened to development? The guy needs proper coaching. My suggestion is that they let AVP concentrate on the OC spot and find a good QB coach.

About 28 games was all it took to tell that Losman wasn't the guy and they yanked him in favor of Edwards. Edwards is at 26 and counting. It's not like we haven't done it before.

I think your right, Trent needs to be coached so he can develop, and as for being timid well he was under constant in your face pressure all day. He needs time to get the ball out. Throwing the deep ball isnt going to help this team if thats the only play they have. Tom Brady isnt any good when hes getting blitzed and under pressure all day either.

If he actually throws the ball more than 12 yards in the air and more importantly hits a WR on target and in stride you will be AMAZED at how many plays we will have that start working.

I think Edwards has taken on the personality of Dick Jauron by osmosis. Play low-risk, not-to-lose football. Take only what the opponent gives you. Don't gamble, don't take risks, play the percentages.

I agree the same thing happened with JP. That guy was scared as hell to throw down the field and never took chances....Oh...wait.....riiiiiiiight.

hahahahaha, you are hilarious...torched SD with fearless devastating downfield throws? you are priceless...I assume you mean the same game where Trent had just ONE TD, and a modest 261 yards? Thats your idea of "torch"? And it was against one of the worst D's in the league...hahahaha...I mean seriously dude. Evans didnt even have 100 yards and averaged a poor 11 yards per catch. If you take out his one 20 yarder and he averaged just 9 yards per catch the rest of the game...so how is this "torching with fearless devastating downfield throws?

I love how people like you bring up one or two games and ignore the other 20+ games where he struggled to move the ball and never throws to his WR's...funny how those few games are also against terrible defenses too...

And Trent only looked like the "truth" to you in the first 2 games...most of us saw a gaping problem with our offense in its lack of ability to get the WR's involved, and its clearly on Trents shoulders as WR's keep getting open and he just doesnt fire the ball.

Alphadawg football is not your sport. You shouldn't even bother watching it. I think you should take up cooking.

i've said ad nauseum, we can't jerk him in and out of the lineup like they did with jp losman. let him play out this year. if he proves that he should be the starting qb next year, then re-sign him. if not, bring in a replacement.

Trent has played and been the starter for 26 games. ONLY interrupted due to injury. Losman had 28 being yanked in and out of the line up being replaced by Trent Edwards version 1.0 (Kelly Holcomb). People made their decisions that he wasn't the guy way before that. I chose the option of let Edwards have the rest of the year. Keep it warm and draft a QB complete with a big time NFL arm and the balls and confidence to use it.

If by some stretch of the imagination Trent learns how to read a 3 - 4 defense and starts to play like a QB that can win you some games in the mean time cool. Maybe he can keep his job. Keep playing like this and we should already be scouting out the 2010 class of QBs.

Alphadawg football is not your sport. You shouldn't even bother watching it. I think you should take up cooking.

This coming from the guy every poster not named dog14787 pretty much sees you as a waste of time and a worthless poster. Plus you have been slammed by the mods several times for your rediculous attacks and garbage you spew...in fact, your post earlier (the one I replied to) has been flamed by everyone responding to it...but keep trying

In reference to your hobby suggestion...I played football through college and I am actually a pretty good cook. In fact, I am making Lobster stuffed chicken with manchego chesse garlic mash potatoes and sauteed spincah for my girl tonight to celebrate the big raise she got a work yesterday...so I guess I have the best of both worlds, football and cooking, so thanks for the tip :lol:

However, you cant be a real poster...no one can spew as much gibberish as you and be serious...if you are, then you might just be a beer short of a six pack...I would bet you are a formerly banned member just trying to stir the pot with your wild claims and absurd posts.

Can't stand trent edwards' play right now. For such a smart guy, i have seen little progression from when he first came in. I hadn't really thought about it til now but consider the abilities that trent came into the league with and think about what he has improved in since he has played his first game. At first, it was a relief to see someone let go of the ball and not run around nonsensically like J.P. but that is just because as fans we were used to terrible quarterback play. So trent came in and was able to hit all his checkdowns and get rid of the ball quickly. One problem, that is the same thing he does now. Its so aggravating as a fan to see trent let go of the ball within 2 seconds of the snap everytime, not giving t.o. or evans a chance to even get into their route. To me, trent is a pretty boy cali kid from a gated community that I am having a hard time routing for anymore....we need some change in buffalo.

this topic misses the point badly. until we have a legitimate head coach its impossible to say anything about trent edwards. and that applies to a lot of the team's young talent

I disagree. If Trent was a better, more ablebodied QB, with a bigger brain and more football smarts, he'd take the freedom he's been given by his HC to audible into better plays and execute them under pressure. So, in essence, it's perfectly legitimate to complain about Trent AND DJ in the same sentence.

Whats Trent Edwards record as a starter now? about 500? In 27 career games he has 22 touchdowns.

Trent is a mdicore quarterback. He would be great on a team that plays with a lead alot and has to protect the ball. On a team that expects to be high powered with TO and Evans on the outside he will lead an attack like we saw sunday. capt checkdown Is not a quaterback who will WIN the game for you. He wont LOSE which is why DJ loves him. He plays like his coach not to lose

Elway, Marino, Montana would all suck on this team. TE might blow, but how can you tell ? Does everyone remember Aikman in Dallas? He was 14 and 24 in his first 3 years. His rating was 55 and 66 his first 2 years, now he is a HOFer. Trent needs a coach to teach him how to win in the NFL. If he has that and fails then we know he is a bust. I still consider him the best chance we have had at a franchise qb since kelly retired.

Give the guy this season before we or the Bills decide what he is or will be. He's 25 and in his crucial 3rd year in the NFL. If he stays healthy, wins games and puts up reasonable numbers then he will get a healthy extension (and the Bills have planned for this). If he does two of those three things, he still will probably get an extension. If he does 1 or less, then their may be competition for him next year and less patience toward him. This is his season (not preseason +3 games) to prove it to everyone, let him have that.....

What are you talking about? He is a coward on the football field. Plain and simple. He has no moxie to lead this team anywhere. He played OK in the NE game. But when it was time to step up in the last 51 seconds, he could not get it done. Sure there was some rush, but after hitting TO for 20 yards he froze. On the second play when stepping up in the pocket, he hesitated slightly and got hit. That was pretty much the game. He does not dictate the game from his position. That is called presence. He does not have it. He plays scared. He is no better than JP. For the life of me, after his pathetic performance against the Steelers in the preseason, why was he even allowed to start? He has no body of work that says "I am a starter." On many teams in the NFL, he would NOT have been named the starter by the way he played in the preseason. But not on the Bills. DJ loves him for no apparent reason, because he will not think the game by himself. He just takes orders. God he is WEAK!!!

Elway, Marino, Montana would all suck on this team. TE might blow, but how can you tell ? Does everyone remember Aikman in Dallas? He was 14 and 24 in his first 3 years. His rating was 55 and 66 his first 2 years, now he is a HOFer. Trent needs a coach to teach him how to win in the NFL. If he has that and fails then we know he is a bust. I still consider him the best chance we have had at a franchise qb since kelly retired.

Really? Montanna and Marino took over teams with way less talent and worse records than the Bills and had them in the SB almost instantly...why do people insist on saying such outlandish things like this to prop up Edwards?

I personally think that he has been coddled way to much. He is not a rookie anymore. I wish we had a coach who would get in his face on the sideline and tell him to throw the damn ball.

I am not going to lie, I was pretty excited about him in the beginning of last year especially during the comeback wins against OAK and JAX (turned out both those teams were not that good), but I leaped off the wagon after the Cleveland game. I still to this day, have never seen a more timid and scared QB in my life. I don't think he is the answer, but I also know Ryan Fitzpatrick probably isnt either so let him ride out the season and lets see if he can prove us wrong.

He is a good QB! Someday, when he gets the coaching he needs, he will become a premier QB. He has all the tools, he is just a victim of "play not to lose" coaching. They've got him so caught up in going through the "motions" and not instilling the trust your instincts style that is a key characteristic of EVERY great QB to play the game...Look at Kyle Williams, he's on pace to have a career year, and he attributes that to his D lne coach telling him "sometimes you just need to go!" He said he was so caught up in his gap assignments through the previous years, that he was hindered from making the big plays. :thumbdown:

He is a good QB! Someday, when he gets the coaching he needs, he will become a premier QB. He has all the tools,

Out of curiosity, what are all these "tools" you say he has and on what grounds do you base that he has them? I only ask, because I see this claim of him having all the tools thrown around here like a cigar at a private Bill Clinton "meeting"