E-Mail I sent to Jerry Sullivan

I don't agree with every column Sully writes, but how can you blame him or any of the media for the Bills' pathetic performance on Sunday?

After 2 good performances, the Bills' offense went into the tank, and I think Sully's questions about why T.O. and Evans are ignored are completely legitimate issues to raise.

Many of the things Sully said in his column today are the same things I hear MANY Bills fans say every day.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Mr. Sullivan -

I have never really been a fan of yours. I, more or less, have always just taken everything you've written or said on the radio with a grain of salt; mostly just not listening and occasionally laughing. But last night, you actually managed to get under my skin.

After a Bills loss, you went out of your way to goat T.O. into a meltdown. Is that what you wanted? Would you have felt better if you were able to get him to lose his composure (or lackthereof, given recent history)? What the hell would that have done except cause more problems for a Bills team that already has too many?!

Sully and his sidekick are the reason I read the the Rochester D&C writers (Roth, Maiorana, etc). The know football. The News writers sound like barstool know-it-alls wh don't. The mythical Clif Claven of "Cheers" makes more sense.

I don't agree with every column Sully writes, but how can you blame him or any of the media for the Bills' pathetic performance on Sunday?

After 2 good performances, the Bills' offense went into the tank, and I think Sully's questions about why T.O. and Evans are ignored are completely legitimate issues to raise.

Many of the things Sully said in his column today are the same things I hear MANY Bills fans say every day.

What you say is true of course.....but a previous poster brought up a very valid point.....

Why are we asking TO why he didn't get the ball.....why dont we ask who didn't throw it or the coaches who told the thrower NOT to throw it to him?

LOL-that made me laugh. The part about him being a miserable SOB. But very good point, I heard the interview but did not know who was asking the questions.

He was trying to get TO to say something negitive. I give TO credit for his answers during this frustrating time

This is a weird one, because my initial reaction was that TO was the one who acted like a complete turd, but I also don't discount the fact that Sully certainly does enjoy being a big fish in a one newspaper town.

In an odd way, all this noise probably benefit both of them personally, but not the team. The difference is, it's not Sullivan's job to cheerlead or help the team - but that is part of TO's.

Personally, I think TO was the bigger knucklehead in that situation, but it's a close call with Sullivan. Maybe they deserve each other.

FWIW, Martz and Mariucci supported Owens on the NFL Network, though I suppose that's not entirely surprising - they're still more coaches than media members.

After a Bills loss, you went out of your way to goat T.O. into a meltdown. Is that what you wanted? Would you have felt better if you were able to get him to lose his composure (or lackthereof, given recent history)? What the hell would that have done except cause more problems for a Bills team that already has too many?!

So what were you trying to do Mr. Sullivan? Maybe make a national name out of yourself at Terrell's expense? Do me a favor. Next time you have a question for a player, especially T.O., just don't ask it. You seem to be a bit burned out, Mr. Sullivan. Maybe it's time you do all of us fans a favor and retire.

Go fly a kite,

Alan

:thumbsup: Register on Buffalo S'News and post replies to his articles. Some are and calling him out on his attitude.

In an odd way, all this noise probably benefit both of them personally, but not the team. The difference is, it's not Sullivan's job to cheerlead or help the team - but that is part of TO's.

It is not his job to instigate problems either. Bills ought to tell him he will only get time when rest of opposing press get time. I doubt he goes to game (he appears to be one of those who reports news via stats sheet) but if he does tell him he will need to sit with opposing teams press.

:unsure: Register on Buffalo S'News and post replies to his articles. Some are and calling him out on his attitude.

It is not his job to instigate problems either. Bills ought to tell him he will only get time when rest of opposing press get time. I doubt he goes to game (he appears to be one of those who reports news via stats sheet) but if he does tell him he will need to sit with opposing teams press.

That would be incorrect. Sullivan covers every home game, and I'm pretty sure all the regular-season road games as well. And if the Bills tried that kind of petty crap, they'd be hearing from the league in short order.

Funny thing is ... I haven't seen the video, but according to Mike Harrington, it was Maiorana and Hamilton pushing the issue, not Sully.

That would be incorrect. Sullivan covers every home game, and I'm pretty sure all the regular-season road games as well. And if the Bills tried that kind of petty crap, they'd be hearing from the league in short order.

Funny thing is ... I haven't seen the video, but according to Mike Harrington, it was Maiorana and Hamilton pushing the issue, not Sully.

I thought it sounded like Paul Hamilton, not Sullivan.

http://www.blitzcorner.com/NFL/Terrell-Owe...ter-Saints-Loss

I give it up to TO on that one. He was badgered to death. Now, if anyone thinks he'll resign with us next

year, no way...not after that crap.

I wouldn't doubt that... I like Maiorana and Roth a lot, and prefer the D&C coverage to the Buffalo News's, but that guy has been on TO's case since he signed. I listen to the D&C podcast as well as read the articles, and not a piece goes by where TO is not mentioned negatively- when will he explode??, etc. It's like they've got twenty "TO explodes!! TO's a cancer!!" pieces ready to go, and are just trying to get him to do it.

It would be worth it to Bills IMO. He appears in articles to be attempting to instigate issues.

Then I doubt he actually watches it from his writing and only way to prove would be for a camera to be mounted on his head pointed at what he was watching during game and I'd still argue the Heisenberg uncertainty principle applies and it is more likely he is paying attention because the camera was there. He is trying to create a story not report on it.

You're missing the point. If you read the original post, it's not the column that's being criticized, it's Sullivan's behavior during the podium interview.

sullivan's columns, like TOs comments, or lack thereof, are so far down the list of things bills fans should care about i don't even know what to say. why does this thread even exist?

With all due respect jester, no one has a gun to your head forcing you to participate in this thread. If you don't like a thread...you know the rest.

I heard the interview on the radio. It was broadcast on KNBR here in the bay area. I couldn't tell who was asking the questions but it was very clear that those asking the most questions were in fact trying to goad Owens into making a controversial statement. Tom Tolbert the former NBA player and host of the afternoon drive time show called the interview session a "baiting session." And that's exactly what it sounded like. And I've been in that room and witnessed my share of post game interviews.

I'm also not a big fan of Maiorana. Like Sully, he seems to be a guy who doesn't like what he does for a living. Tough crap. Be a professional. Letting your own unhappiness, bitterness, disillusionment, and cynicism affect how you do your job is unacceptable. Especially when the FCC mandates that you serve the public interest, service, and necessity. Especially in a state with 10% unemployment. Especially in a world where any number of qualified, competent, principled, and capable people would be happy to have a sports writing job.

I used to play in the same City of Buffalo softball league as Jerry Sullivan. One game he was playing third base and as the base runner approached, Sullivan decoyed an incoming throw from the outfield in order to keep the runner from rounding third and heading for home. Thing is, you don't do crap like that in a slow pitch softball game. The base runner was a middle aged, slightly overweight guy. If he thinks the throw is coming and decides to slide he could hurt himself. I was coaching third base and told him that he breached protocol by decoying a throw when none was coming. Sullivan said he was just trying to help the team win.

The biggest problem I have with Sullivan is that I don't like when people with very little wisdom have a platform for espousing their opinions. That's why I've stopped reading his column. The only Buffalo News sports writer that I truly respect is Mark Gaughan. I also like former News writer Vic Carrucci. Both of them have great demeanor and temperament...that particular calmness and wisdom that Jerry Sullivan lacks. Jerry is just a shrill voice IMO.

I don't mind Sullivan's questions, although I think they're directed at the wrong person. He should be asking Jauron those questions.

"Hey Coach, why did we go out and sign a guy like TO if you have no plans on using him. Why was a talent like Lee Evans signed to an extension if you don't get him the ball."

The REAL question is why did Dick/Russ/Ralph/Sean K decide to go with one of THE most inexperienced O-Lines in the NFL in a make-or-break year for the Head Coach. I personally like the guys, but would have preferred signing or trading for a veteran LOT like Tra Thomas so we could let Butler/Bell or Butler/Levitre battle it out for a spot giving us quality depth.

My point is we should not have signed TO and "gone for it" this year without a line that would at least allow us to make the medium to long range throws. And, if we decided to try it with TO and an inexperienced Oline then they should have fired Jauron last year b/c he has such a smal chance to succeed with what he has.

The REAL question is why did Dick/Russ/Ralph/Sean K decide to go with one of THE most inexperienced O-Lines in the NFL in a make-or-break year for the Head Coach. I personally like the guys, but would have preferred signing or trading for a veteran LOT like Tra Thomas so we could let Butler/Bell or Butler/Levitre battle it out for a spot giving us quality depth.

My point is we should not have signed TO and "gone for it" this year without a line that would at least allow us to make the medium to long range throws. And, if we decided to try it with TO and an inexperienced Oline then they should have fired Jauron last year b/c he has such a smal chance to succeed with what he has.

I think part of what we were seeing Sunday was the loss of Brad Butler and the steadying influence that he has on Eric Wood. Replace Butler with Jonathan Scott and you get the results we saw yesterday.