More evidence the Raiders are the most messed up team in the NFL.

Wacka

Unreal. I wouldn't believe it, if I hadn't heard about some of the other BS -- a lot of it involving Herrera -- that goes on there.

And if they wanted to make it a 100-percent certainty that Gannon will offer up some strong opinions tomorrow, they've succeeded. (After all, that's his JOB ...)

Ya know, Gary McCord is banned permanently from Augusta National because he said that the greens were so fast that they looked like they were bikini waxed and that undulations on the green looked suspiciously like body bags during the 1994 Masters.

If Al owned the stadium they could pull that off because it's private property and they can ban whomever they want. Because Alamdea County owns it they'd have to do it and that's unlikely.

It'll be interesting if an announcer pisses off Jerrah down in Dallas. He owns that barn and can ban whomever he wants from the premises.

If having the head coach break an assistant's jaw wasn't enough. the Raiders wanted to ban the former Raiders QB from their facility and from broadcasting the game Sunday

Gannon Not Welcomed in Alameda

um---the raider's exec took gannon's commentary that they should "just blow up the building and start over" and brought in a 9/11 comment on it?

tacky, very tacky. shows why the raiders are who we thought they are.

Ya know, Gary McCord is banned permanently from Augusta National because he said that the greens were so fast that they looked like they were bikini waxed and that undulations on the green looked suspiciously like body bags during the 1994 Masters.

If Al owned the stadium they could pull that off because it's private property and they can ban whomever they want. Because Alamdea County owns it they'd have to do it and that's unlikely.

It'll be interesting if an announcer pisses off Jerrah down in Dallas. He owns that barn and can ban whomever he wants from the premises.

Rules are different at the Masters -- not entirely sure, but I believe Augusta CC and its advertisers pay for the airtime themselves. The NFL has a contract with CBS, Gannon's employer. One suspects Mr. Goodell wouldn't think kindly of one of his franchises annoying a rightsholder which pays the league billions of dollars. And if I'm a higher-up at CBS, I want demonstrable proof that Gannon has been either biased or unprofessional before I even THINK about agreeing to their request. In absence of same, the Raiders have no case, because he's supposed to state his opinions.

Rules are different at the Masters -- not entirely sure, but I believe Augusta CC and its advertisers pay for the airtime themselves. The NFL has a contract with CBS, Gannon's employer. One suspects Mr. Goodell wouldn't think kindly of one of his franchises annoying a rightsholder which pays the league billions of dollars. And if I'm a higher-up at CBS, I want demonstrable proof that Gannon has been either biased or unprofessional before I even THINK about agreeing to their request. In absence of same, the Raiders have no case, because he's supposed to state his opinions.

That's true for the Masters now but it wasn't back in '94. Gary McCord is literally banned from the property and since it's private property whaddya gonna do? He can't go as a guest, he can't go as a broadcaster, I don't even think he can buy a ticket to the Masters. If I were CBS and wanted to make a fuss I'd have McCord come and do commentary from the first piece of public property or right of way.

It does sound like the NFL has something in it's contract about this but if there were ever an owner to challenge this it would be Davis. If they want to contend that Gannon made terroristic threats and act to ban him from the premises and get a PFA keeping him a distance away from Raiders property I think that the contract clause might be hard to enforce because one would think that the PFA would supercede contract law. They probably couldn't do anything about road games, but they could mess him up in Oakland. Plus, they don't own the stadium so they can't really keep him out of there, but they can probably keep him off Raiders property.

If having the head coach break an assistant's jaw wasn't enough. the Raiders wanted to ban the former Raiders QB from their facility and from broadcasting the game Sunday

What a surprise, what a surprise. Al has lost it, really this time.

Unreal. I wouldn't believe it, if I hadn't heard about some of the other BS -- a lot of it involving Herrera -- that goes on there.

And if they wanted to make it a 100-percent certainty that Gannon will offer up some strong opinions tomorrow, they've succeeded. (After all, that's his JOB ...)

:blush: I'd hope they broadcast that game locally but the Bills game will be a four o'clock game too. :huh:

I'm sure some of the national coverage will mention what Gannon says.

So the worst run organization in football, that has a HC who breaks the jaw of an assistant, that has had some stupid draft picks recently, has an owner who should be living in a rubber room and yet any negative comments from a broadcaster who started in 2005 are biased. :unsure:

From the article,

The Chronicle has learned, citing his public criticism of the organization in recent years.

Herrera quoted Gannon as saying in several interviews they should just "blow up the building and start over" in Oakland. Team officials took that as literally as they did figuratively, and told Gannon as much before last season's home game against the Chiefs. :)

Then they used the old 9/11 trick to make him look bad and yet he's almost literally right. :w00t:

That's true for the Masters now but it wasn't back in '94. Gary McCord is literally banned from the property and since it's private property whaddya gonna do? He can't go as a guest, he can't go as a broadcaster, I don't even think he can buy a ticket to the Masters. If I were CBS and wanted to make a fuss I'd have McCord come and do commentary from the first piece of public property or right of way.

It does sound like the NFL has something in it's contract about this but if there were ever an owner to challenge this it would be Davis. If they want to contend that Gannon made terroristic threats and act to ban him from the premises and get a PFA keeping him a distance away from Raiders property I think that the contract clause might be hard to enforce because one would think that the PFA would supercede contract law. They probably couldn't do anything about road games, but they could mess him up in Oakland. Plus, they don't own the stadium so they can't really keep him out of there, but they can probably keep him off Raiders property.

Why would any judge grant them a PFA? I don't see how anyone in their right mind would seriously believe that Gannon "made terroristic threats".

CBS went along with McCord's banning because they want to keep the tournament. Also, it would be kind of difficult for McCord to see the tournament if he isn't on the property.

Funny unrelated story about McCord: One time during a tournament, during a commercial break, some people in the blimp were clowning around and decided to zoom in so McCord's face filled the entire screen. He decided he'd play along and mooned the camera. Only one problem - the sponsor of the tournament was an electronics company, I think NEC. All of the tents where the players' families, company execs, etc. were filled with new big screen TVs, and all of them were getting that feed. Oops.

I don't think any reasonable person would conclude anything Gannon said is a terroristic threat. He said blow the building up and start over. I believe blowing a building up is a pretty common way to destroy a building should they wish to start over. Its not like he said anything about blowing it up while there were people in it.

The Oakland Raider's are an insult to the people who passed that day. demolition companys use explosives to bring down buildings as well, why go straight to the 9/11 analogy.

They're trying to gain sympathy and make Gannon look bad. The trick didn't work on me. 7 years ago that might have worked on some people but not now. If he had said they should crash a jumbo jet into the stadium they'd have a point, but after 7 years and the lack of Gannon mentioning planes it doesn't really work. :unsure:

The NFL leaned on the Raiders that Gannon could be at the practice facility (it's in the contract between CBS and the league). The practice facility is about 2-3 miles from the stadium.

The game isn't on in Oakland. Not a sellout. The Raiders normally only sellout night games and maybe KC and Denver games.

The stadium holds about 60K and the metro area (shared with the Niners) has about 5-6 million people. We had our section to ourselves last Bills game there. The upper deck was about 1/3 full.

The last guy to lead your team to a SB and this is how you welcome him back? Al Davis and his bunch really do run the NFL version of "Ringling Bros.". Wow.

I think any sane football fan would agree with Gannon. That being said when someone is a broadcaster who was a former player only a few years ago, it is a somewhat awkward situation. I don't know if he can as a former player just state his frustrations with management in an extreme way and then go into a broadcast booth and be a color analyst for a game of the same team. For that reason few broadcasters who are former players make extremely negative statements about their former teams.

Anyway, just imagine if we had someone publicly commented that the Bills will never win a SB as long as Wilson is the owner and then go into a booth and broadcast a Bills game (not be a network commentator, but an at game broadcaster). I'm not sure we would not find that annoying as Bills fans even if we agreed with the statement.