George Wilson

ColdBlueNorth

I have not noticed George at safety in the past 2 games, has he taken any snaps with the starters?

I always thought that he would get more looks at safety because he is rangy, understands receiver routes really well, is a ball hawk with a knack for creating turnovers, and has looked great when given the opportunity to play.

Maybe I have just missed seeing him and he's been out there.

I haven't noticed him at all. I am assuming he has taken Special Teams snaps but I don't remember seeing him in on them either.

I know I have heard his name on special teams, but I still remember the year he filled in at safety - when they converted him from WR. I thought he played very well.

I think that this is his last year with the Bills.

He needs to find a team that will give him a shot, and with the Bills still drafting for safety even this year, I don't think they are blowing kisses his way.

He was in as a sub at safety in the TB game. Didn't notice him on D in the NE game.

For the Bills, the ST captain (other than Moorman) is usually a solid backup but very much dedicated to ST - same thing with Sam Aiken before him.

And don't forget - he's also the Bills player representative for the NFLPA. All that responsibility probably keeps him from playing more D. :unsure:

He was in as a sub at safety in the TB game. Didn't notice him on D in the NE game.

For the Bills, the ST captain (other than Moorman) is usually a solid backup but very much dedicated to ST - same thing with Sam Aiken before him.

And don't forget - he's also the Bills player representative for the NFLPA. All that responsibility probably keeps him from playing more D. :unsure:

I forgot that he was voted in as the player rep for the Bills.

Oh well, unless one of the other playmakers gets hurt we probably wont see much of George. It's too bad, I like his attitude - the way he tossed that Pittsburg smurf to the turf when the rest of the team looked like they had already rolled over... memories

I like George. It's good to see him on ST. But I take his absence from the defense as a good sign.

Does he just not have the speed or the range?

I don't remember George getting burned and do remember him picking off a few passes and breaking up his share. I like Scott because he is a bit bigger against the run, but I do not think that Scott is better in coverage (although that shoe-string interception after that ball bounced off of that TB receiver was a nifty piece of work).

I was rooting for George this offseason - he is my Fred Jackson of the defense - undrafted hard worker type.

I guess I have missed exactly what you are worried about in George's defensive game.

I am not giving you the business, I am straight-up curious - when you aren't taking shots at folks here you actually have some decent insight.

Does he just not have the speed or the range?

I don't remember George getting burned and do remember him picking off a few passes and breaking up his share. I like Scott because he is a bit bigger against the run, but I do not think that Scott is better in coverage (although that shoe-string interception after that ball bounced off of that TB receiver was a nifty piece of work).

I was rooting for George this offseason - he is my Fred Jackson of the defense - undrafted hard worker type.

I guess I have missed exactly what you are worried about in George's defensive game.

I am not giving you the business, I am straight-up curious - when you aren't taking shots at folks here you actually have some decent insight.

George is a converted WR, who filled in decently at safety. He does a fine job, when called upon, but Byrd, Whitner, Scott are lifelong DBs who excel at their positions. Scott plays SS, and George really isn't suited for that. So for Wilson to see much time at FS, that would mean that Whitner or Byrd are on the sidelines, for the most part.

George is a good guy to have on the team, IMO, so I'm not putting him down. He has good speed and ball instincts. He is a fine backup and a terrific ST guy.

George is a converted WR, who filled in decently at safety. He does a fine job, when called upon, but Byrd, Whitner, Scott are lifelong DBs who excel at their positions. Scott plays SS, and George really isn't suited for that. So for Wilson to see much time at FS, that would mean that Whitner or Byrd are on the sidelines, for the most part.

George is a good guy to have on the team, IMO, so I'm not putting him down. He has good speed and ball instincts. He is a fine backup and a terrific ST guy.

Cool.

He and Scott are close in size, and George has had 50+ tackles in limited action over the last 2 years, but I do think Scott is more hard-nosed at the line of scrimmage.

I guess I would rather see Whitner out there - when he is on his game. Bryd is 5-10, but I will leave him alone - I already got stoned for saying he was too green to be starting.

At the very least George makes me feel better about our depth at the position.

You sum up my thoughts on Wilson here exactly Dean. I take him not being on the field as a good sign.

One of the earlier posts on this thread, mentioned a team willing to give him a shot. Well Buffalo has done that - and successfully converted him to a Safety. I agree he played well, when given the chance but that was in pass defence. He is still weak supporting the run, and that will improve with experience. With Donte and Scott starting, and the Bills wanting to see more of Byrd (To evaluate), Wilson will see more snaps as the season continues or because of injury.

With the trade of "I am worth Millions" to the Lions - it reflected the Bills confidance in George Wilson. He signed a 1 year contract in April. My bet is he is with the Bills next year.

I also look to see him returning punts if something happenss with Roscoe. George is no speed demon, but his experience as a reciever (and also evident on the few INT returns he has had), is that he sees the field well. He would be effective the same way that Steve Tasker was.

He has been on the field for special teams, and so far has 2 solo tackles, but has also drawn double coverage as a gunner

Forgetting about Whitner's pick six last week and Scott's int, when exactly have either of these 3 excelled?? While I agree that they may all be slightly better than Wilson, you are making them sound like the second coming of Ronnie Lott. To this point in his career, Whitner and Scott have been adequate safeties, and there is not nearly enough information to judge Byrd one way or the other.

When I reviewed the ST plays in the New England game, I saw him on all the ST units except kickoff return. He's essentially #4 on the depth chart behind Whitner, Scott, and Byrd, so he's not going to get on the field on D very often if everybody is healthy.

why is he behind Byrd right now? Byrd wasn't around for none of the OTA's and missed a lot of training camp because of injuries.