John Murphy

I really want to like Murph, and not only because he is my hero for being the husband of Mary Travers. I also like listening to the Bills on the radio (thanks Sirius!) because it reminds me of my childhood. That being said, there is something not quite satisfying about his radio calls. It is not just emotion... one hopes that the radio man will provide a sense of growing excitement and expectation about a play, and I do not always get it. One cannot tell from his call if a running play is about to bust big or get stopped. It is hard to describe, but I get the feeling that Murph works best when people are also watching the game, and can see what he is waiting for. When you are dependent on his pbp, it can be frustrating.

He seems incapable of getting excited about the game. When he tries to sound excited it sounds forced and fake. It's hard to even understand how that could be possible in a guy that is supposedly a sports fan.

I've always assumed its because he's terrified of getting the call wrong so he feels like he can't just react. But really it's much better to just say "Edwards going deep....TOUCHDOWN!" and then figure out who scored a second later.

He seems incapable of getting excited about the game. When he tries to sound excited it sounds forced and fake. It's hard to even understand how that could be possible in a guy that is supposedly a sports fan.

I've always assumed its because he's terrified of getting the call wrong so he feels like he can't just react. But really it's much better to just say "Edwards going deep....TOUCHDOWN!" and then figure out who scored a second later.

I agree. He seems more interested in telling us who was involved and then getting to what the result was AFTER identifying the players. It kills the spontaneity of moment.

I really want to like Murph, and not only because he is my hero for being the husband of Mary Travers. I also like listening to the Bills on the radio (thanks Sirius!) because it reminds me of my childhood. That being said, there is something not quite satisfying about his radio calls. It is not just emotion... one hopes that the radio man will provide a sense of growing excitement and expectation about a play, and I do not always get it. One cannot tell from his call if a running play is about to bust big or get stopped. It is hard to describe, but I get the feeling that Murph works best when people are also watching the game, and can see what he is waiting for. When you are dependent on his pbp, it can be frustrating.

Mary Travers of Peter Paul and Mary? you have a link?

He's a Newhouse ('Cuse J-school) guy. As a rule, they tend to take the "journalism" part of the Broadcast Journalism major seriously. (Think Bob Costas, definitely not a screamer. Mike Tirico's also a grad.) If you feel he plays the 'objective observer' role too strongly, that's one possible reason.

He's a Newhouse ('Cuse J-school) guy. As a rule, they tend to take the "journalism" part of the Broadcast Journalism major seriously. (Think Bob Costas, definitely not a screamer. Mike Tirico's also a grad.) If you feel he plays the 'objective observer' role too strongly, that's one possible reason.

the thing is he's not supposed to be an objective observer. That's what the national guys are for. By his own job description he's "the Voice of the Bills."

the thing is he's not supposed to be an objective observer. That's what the national guys are for. By his own job description he's "the Voice of the Bills."

You may want homers calling your games. I don't.

I completely agree. He's very knowledgeable and a good color guy, but he doesn't do a very good job of mixing the objective observations with emotionally charged, exciting calls. Mike Tirico does a nice job of that.

I don't listen to Murph during the games, but when I watch NFL.com higlights with his call, it just seems more awkward than anything when he calls the big plays.

You may want homers calling your games. I don't.

He could still do a better job being excited without being a total homer. Michael Kay does and amazing job for the Yankees. He stays objective, but there is no doubt his excitement is more genuine when the Yankees do something special.

not a Van Miller or Rick Jeannerette fan?

Getting excited about big plays and outright our-team-is-great, we-wuz-robbed homerism are two different things. There's nothing wrong with showing passion for the game, and Miller and RJ are pros -- even if they did skate close to the line at times, they still normally got the call correct. On the other side of that line, I'm guessing at least one of the radio crews I'll be sharing a press box with tomorrow night will show up wearing their school colors. Yay, team. I'll be the one trying to get as far away from them as possible.

So ... yes, I'd rather have someone describing plays than yelling an opinion in my ear. I realize others' mileage may vary.

Metal Man, valid point.