Saints DE's.....Grant/Smith

Special K

This will be the best pair of pass rushers the Bills have faced so far, and its going to be a test.

Worse case scenario would be if the Saints get out to a big lead early, and allow these two to pin their ears back and get after Trent.

Also, it might allow them to get pressure with only their front 4....which isn't good for the Bills passing game.

A successful running game is got to be key to have any success in this game.

I'm looking foward to see what AVP conjures up to neutralize these 2 guys.

There are major questions about the New Orleans defense.

So far the quarterbacks they've faced this season are rookie Matthew Stafford and near-rookie Kevin Kolb. The games against New Orleans were the first career starts for both quarterbacks.

Agreed. Limiting turnovers will certainly be key in this game (not that it's not in any other game, but with this offense...).

The game against Philly was actually a 4 point game going into halftime. Turnovers ultimately killed the Eagles. I expect our guys will certainly be reviewing lots of first half tape from that game.

This will be the best pair of pass rushers the Bills have faced so far, and its going to be a test.

Worse case scenario would be if the Saints get out to a big lead early, and allow these two to pin their ears back and get after Trent.

Also, it might allow them to get pressure with only their front 4....which isn't good for the Bills passing game.

i am not 100 % sure, but i think i read they are both suspended for the first 3 or 4 games......correkt ?

Team - I am happy to read some one finally addressed the fact that New Orleans played against two QB's making their first starts. That was a big reason why New Orleans won each game.

I live outside of Philly. You know how the score of a game is not a true indication of the game itself? This statement applies to the NO/PHL game. Sure Drew Brees have a great day. However, PHL did everything they could to make NO look good:

- 3 turnovers by PHL were converted to TD's. That is 21 points. Two of those turnovers were deep in PHL territory.

- PHL did not score touchdown's when they were in the NO red zone.

- PHL did not stop blitzing even while NO beat the blitz

Yes NO is 2 - 0, but they are not immortal. I will say it again, I see a 4 point game on Sunday.

Special K, you couldn't be more wrong about this. Again, my fellow Saints fans in here may disagree, but here goes;

Grant and Smith hit their respective paydays and have become the most overrated, overpayed, and overweight DEs in the NFL. This is from last week;

Smith - 1 tackle, 0 sacks, 0 QB hits

Grant - 1 tackle, 0 sacks, 0 QB hits

As compared to their backups;

McCray - 1 tackle, 1 sack, 2 QB hits

Hargrove (mainly DT, but bounces around) - 3 tackles, 0 sacks, 2 QB hits

Charleston - 1 tackle, 0 sacks, 0 QB hits (limited play, I barely noticed him in there)

Grant and Smith both played well when they were rookies and the next couple of years, but unless Greg Williams somehow lights a fire under them, then they should be the least of your worries, as far as our defense goes. I have no love for either of them. They bitched and moaned for a bigger contract and have yet to live up to it. This will sound pretty bad, but I was hoping they would've gotten suspended for four games just so the backups could show how useless they've become.

JMO

Special K, you couldn't be more wrong about this. Again, my fellow Saints fans in here may disagree, but here goes;

Grant and Smith hit their respective paydays and have become the most overrated, overpayed, and overweight DEs in the NFL. This is from last week;

Smith - 1 tackle, 0 sacks, 0 QB hits

Grant - 1 tackle, 0 sacks, 0 QB hits

As compared to their backups;

McCray - 1 tackle, 1 sack, 2 QB hits

Hargrove (mainly DT, but bounces around) - 3 tackles, 0 sacks, 2 QB hits

Charleston - 1 tackle, 0 sacks, 0 QB hits (limited play, I barely noticed him in there)

Grant and Smith both played well when they were rookies and the next couple of years, but unless Greg Williams somehow lights a fire under them, then they should be the least of your worries, as far as our defense goes. I have no love for either of them. They bitched and moaned for a bigger contract and have yet to live up to it. This will sound pretty bad, but I was hoping they would've gotten suspended for four games just so the backups could show how useless they've become.

JMO

Hargrove was a former Bill before he got into some trouble. I saw last week that he almost had an INT at the LOS. I root for Hargrove...he's always brought a lot of energy whenever he's played.

Team - I am happy to read some one finally addressed the fact that New Orleans played against two QB's making their first starts. That was a big reason why New Orleans won each game.

I live outside of Philly. You know how the score of a game is not a true indication of the game itself? This statement applies to the NO/PHL game. Sure Drew Brees have a great day. However, PHL did everything they could to make NO look good:

- 3 turnovers by PHL were converted to TD's. That is 21 points. Two of those turnovers were deep in PHL territory.

- PHL did not score touchdown's when they were in the NO red zone.

- PHL did not stop blitzing even while NO beat the blitz

Yes NO is 2 - 0, but they are not immortal. I will say it again, I see a 4 point game on Sunday.

This is a really key point, I think. A lot of us were excited to see the Bills blitzing so much last week, but Brees will eat all of that blitzing alive. I think we are going to see a lot more of the conservative Cover 2 this week. It's going to frustrate many of you, because Brees will dink and dunk like Brady, but the fact is that Fewell and DJ will force him to be patient and get his points that way. AND - if he takes it down the field and only gets FGs, I think they will take that.

So expect to see 50 short passes like Brady threw (until the end anyway) with the hope that they can be held to some FGs or maybe force an impatient throw resulting in a turnover.

Blitzes (IMO) will be few and far between and targeted when (if this is possible) Brees is not expecting them.

Like a fellow Saints fans already said.. our DE's Grant and Smith are way overrated. I wont go as far to say they suck, but they are far from the great bookend DE tandem people pump them up to be. They may be the worse pass rushing DE's in the NFL, BUT they are decent against the run. Grant is fat as all hell now and should move to DT position. Will Smith is invisable for 90% of every game.

So the statement of "This will be the best pair of pass rushers the Bills have faced so far, and its going to be a test." is the total opposite of reality. The Bills will face the worse pass rushers they will see this year.

One thing that really works into the Bills favor is the no-huddle. Seriously, these guys are that out of shape. I don't know what'll happen if your offense has a 15 play drive with that no-huddle. They'll probably have to carry Grant and Smith off the field on stretchers.

Personally, I'd rather see the Saints start McCray and Hargrove. They're in much better shape, show up to play, and can last longer on the field while your offense is doing their thing. This is probably Hargrove's last chance with the NFL and he's really turned it around and stepped it up. If he keeps it up and stays out of trouble he should see some nice offers next offseason, hopefully from us.

Hargrove was a former Bill before he got into some trouble. I saw last week that he almost had an INT at the LOS. I root for Hargrove...he's always brought a lot of energy whenever he's played.

Yeah, me too. I really liked Hargrove. It's too bad he basically screwed himself while he was up here. Buffalo loved this guy.

How badly did I want those guys suspended?

:rolleyes::doh:

Thanks Goodell!