I'm Disappointed in Bobby April

In an article at TBD today April is hailed for applying military terminology to ST play. One of the reality checks that the horror of 9/11and our response in Afghanistan brought us all was the knowledge that incredibly well-paid football players are not warriors and that folks who sacrifice for you and me like Pat Tillman are true warriors and heroes.

The adoption of military terminology for this boy's game certainly is more than human and unfortunately comes with the territory.

However, as a beneficiary of the sacrifice which our troops make for those of us who sit comfortably at home, I will feel remiss if I did not flag this inappropriate usurption of the terminology.

Maybe he meant it as some sort of tribute (I didn't read the article as the stealing of military terminology for a game sickens me) and as well meaning as this might be, I had hoped we had gotten past using military analogies in sport when the meaning of true military sacrifice slapped us in the face.

I'm not sure football at a professional level is a boy's game anymore. Billions of dollars at stake, life threatening injuries in some cases, career ending injuries, players with very little other means of creating wealth are playing for their lively hood, to support their kids, families, etc. How many jobs, are being supported by professional football. I just don't see it as a "boy's game" at this level. It's real life.

(I didn't read the article as the stealing of military terminology for a game sickens me)

115611[/snapback]

So, you are ripping the guy and didn't even bother to read the article? Nothing like complaining just for the sake of complaining.

In an article at TBD today April is hailed for applying military terminology to ST play.  One of the reality checks that the horror of 9/11and our response in Afghanistan brought us all was the knowledge that incredibly well-paid football players are not warriors and that folks who sacrifice for you and me like Pat Tillman are true warriors and heroes.

The adoption of military terminology for this boy's game certainly is more than human and unfortunately comes with the territory.

However, as a beneficiary of the sacrifice which our troops make for those of us who sit comfortably at home, I will feel remiss if I did not flag this inappropriate usurption of the terminology.

Maybe he meant it as some sort of tribute (I didn't read the article as the stealing of military terminology for a game sickens me) and as well meaning as this might be, I had hoped we had gotten past using military analogies in sport when the meaning of true military sacrifice slapped us in the face.

115611[/snapback]

Hey !@#$, I am a veteran of the first Gulf war. I have NO issue with it. In fact I doubt many who have SERVED would have issue with it. Now go hug a tree, eat some granola and shut the hell up! :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

I don't look at it as belittling what our armed forced (& other military units) do in the least. In one respect, I suppose you can consider it a sort of tribute, i.e. these particular ST units are attemping to emulate certain characteristics or goals of military units.

Personally, after reading the article, I sorta consider it juvenile. In order to be motivated to do their jobs, the highly paid professionals have to resort to a form of hero worship.

Neither April nor the players have any illusions about comparing themselves with actual servicemen and women.

"Absolutely not," April said. "We try in one small way to emulate the principles of what they do. But in no way, shape or form are we even close to comparing ourselves to them. What they do is the most noble thing you can do. We do something for our profession. We're really trying to compliment and honor them. We're emulating some of their ideas."

Right there in the article. There goes that theory.

Personally, after reading the article, I sorta consider it juvenile.  In order to be motivated to do their jobs, the highly paid professionals have to resort to a form of hero worship.

115631[/snapback]

Hell, I don't care if they have nap time after some milk and cookies! I can't believe that ST's for the Bills are actually a STRENGTH! Whatever they have to do...keep it up!

For someone who writes so many words, you should learn to read about that which you are offended about....

Neither April nor the players have any illusions about comparing themselves with actual servicemen and women.

"Absolutely not," April said. "We try in one small way to emulate the principles of what they do. But in no way, shape or form are we even close to comparing ourselves to them. What they do is the most noble thing you can do. We do something for our profession. We're really trying to compliment and honor them. We're emulating some of their ideas."

Personally, I don't care if he calls them the "Fifi's" and the "Cumquats," as long as they keep performing...

Hey !@#$, I am a veteran of the first Gulf war. I have NO issue with it. In fact I doubt many who have SERVED would have issue with it.  Now go hug a tree, eat some granola and shut the hell up!  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

115626[/snapback]

Isn't this response a little uncalled for ICE? You may not agree with FFS but his intentions were simply to honor the people that have served (like yourself).

usurption?

I think any effort to be offended by that is just that...an effort to be offended.

Give me a break...what do you think football *is*?

It's a metaphor for war and land acquisition. If you read the article, Bobby very clearly states that they're using these things as metaphors, as TRIBUTES to the REAL WORK that military men and women do in REAL battles.

There's nothing inappropriate or amiss here. In fact, I'm sure most military men and women would be honored by it.

Ice is right on. I am also a veteran. What would you name the special teams units? Why oh why are so many posters here so negative about everything that the Bills do?

115638[/snapback]

That is a mystery I've been trying to figure out for 4 years. :D

In an article at TBD today April is hailed for applying military terminology to ST play.  One of the reality checks that the horror of 9/11and our response in Afghanistan brought us all was the knowledge that incredibly well-paid football players are not warriors and that folks who sacrifice for you and me like Pat Tillman are true warriors and heroes.

115611[/snapback]

I'm sorry, I thought I had you on ignore. I'll fix that. Thanks for alerting me.

115611[/snapback]

You didn't even read the article?

and you're the same guy who posts "Cheney SOB"?

sounds like a "look at me thread" that didn't care who's reputation is besmirched.

You owe April an apology.