4th and short--QUICK snap and we were ready!

jeffsimon

How many times has Brady done a quick snap and caught our D offguard for a QB sneak or whatever on 4th down? I'd say averaging 1 per game against us for the past 5 seasons, with a 100% success rate... Until Monday.

It may have taken Dick 3 painful years, but we finally got wise to that little trick. Good job DEFENSE!

Just thought I'd share a positive note for Jauron. I still think he should have been gone after last year, but now that we have him, might as well hope he's getting a clue.

How many times has Brady done a quick snap and caught our D offguard for a QB sneak or whatever on 4th down? I'd say averaging 1 per game against us for the past 5 seasons, with a 100% success rate... Until Monday.

It may have taken Dick 3 painful years, but we finally got wise to that little trick. Good job DEFENSE!

Just thought I'd share a positive note for Jauron. I still think he should have been gone after last year, but now that we have him, might as well hope he's getting a clue.

Welcome to the forum!

I'll have to go back and review the game... <_<

If so...nice look! :D

Why oh why would being caught off guard by such a remedial "trick" ever be considered a function of the coaching staff? Should NFL players *really* need to be told to "watch out for a quick snap?" COME ON!

I was shocked they didn't go for the sneak. They needed like 2 inches, albeit after a ridiculously generous spot.

I was shocked they didn't go for the sneak. They needed like 2 inches, albeit after a ridiculously generous spot.

I though the same thing during the game. They used to use the sneak a lot in years past. I think it may have been a combo of not wanting to challenge Stroud + Williams, who were dominating the middle of the run defense and fear about Brady getting hurt.

Why oh why would being caught off guard by such a remedial "trick" ever be considered a function of the coaching staff? Should NFL players *really* need to be told to "watch out for a quick snap?" COME ON!

We haven't gotten it right in the past, and the Pats have made us pay dearly for it. If you recall years past, Brady would make the quick snap and catch the entire defense flat-footed. You're right that the defense should be ready as soon as the O lines up, but that simply hasn't been the case.

This is basic scouting, and because it has happened so many times before, YES, it's the responsibility of the coaches to make sure it doesn't happen again.

you know what? u r right. bellychick has never respected our d. instead of punting he always goes for it on 4th and under 10. 4th and +10, then he punts. that really gets on my nerves. i am so glad we made them turnover on downs more than once! good post.

you know what? u r right. bellychick has never respected our d. instead of punting he always goes for it on 4th and under 10. 4th and +10, then he punts. that really gets on my nerves. i am so glad we made them turnover on downs more than once! good post.

I think it has more to do with him being one of the few coach's who understands math and common sense; and less to do with respect.

I mean Brad Childress and Marvin Lewis don't punt in those situations out of respect; they do it because they're brain-dead idiots.

Jauron is about league average in those decisions imo. Better than Gregg Williams, worse than Mularkey.

on the first one Spencer Johnson made a terrific play with Ellison following it up. Just want to see that they gets some props.

after watching the replay of the game on my dvr, this is absolutely correct. spencer johnson knifes to his right, with his blocker basically pushing him towards where the ball carrier is running to.

They used to use the sneak a lot in years past. I think it may have been a combo of not wanting to challenge Stroud + Williams, who were dominating the middle of the run defense

Stroud was dominating, but it seemed like every good run the Pats* had was over Williams & Schobel.

Spencer Johnson has been killing people all preseason (he annihilated Olin Kreutz almost every snap) and in limited time on MNF. Wonder why he's not getting more time... or getting elevated.

We haven't gotten it right in the past, and the Pats have made us pay dearly for it. If you recall years past, Brady would make the quick snap and catch the entire defense flat-footed. You're right that the defense should be ready as soon as the O lines up, but that simply hasn't been the case.

This is basic scouting, and because it has happened so many times before, YES, it's the responsibility of the coaches to make sure it doesn't happen again.

No. In no way.

It's the responsibility of the coaches to prepare the players for the quick snap.

After that, it's all on the players.

Quick snaps don't work because players aren't told that they occur sometimes. They occur because players get used to a rhythm, and like it or not, it's very easy to get lulled by that rhythm and feel like it will last forever.

on the first one Spencer Johnson made a terrific play with Ellison following it up. Just want to see that they gets some props.

i agree.. there was a lot of trash talk on this board before the season about Ellison, but to my untrained eye he looked like he was all over the field on Monday, made a few tackles, and guess what, he's still on the field and will be playing on Sunday.

what use is it to the team having a monster like Poz who can't stay on the field for the full season - shades of Timmy Connolly of the Sabres!!