Bledsoe

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=1920864

So maybe the career of Buffalo quarterback Drew Bledsoe isn't salvageable, and J.P. Losman, the first-round pick still rehabilitating from a broken leg suffered in training camp, will be the Bills starter in 2005. But in the past two weeks, Bledsoe offered a few hints that an old dog can, indeed, master some new tricks. Bledsoe has displayed better footwork, including a "slide step" that coordinator Tom Clements and quarterbacks coach Sam Wyche have been teaching him, in that period. The footwork, while a seemingly innocuous element, has helped Bledsoe buy some time in the pocket. He hasn't been sacked and hasn't thrown an interception in those two games.

I actually do doubt that Bledsoe has suddenly learned some new technique from the brilliant Tom Clements that those dullards Bill Parcells and Bill Belicheck were not aware of. This is particularly true when this new method or old method he suddenly has been taught or embraced is a simple move like using the slide step.

What actually strikes me as more accurate is:

1. Bledsoe has gained new confidence in himself. the Mularkey offense and in the OL, a confidence which has been lost after the sorry productivity in his game and in the offense last year. This recovered confidence has him being more decisive in the pocket and hesitating a lot less. This is the change I see:

2. Bledsoe is embracing different approaches which in the past he did not actually resist (he seems to be far to pliable an athlete to resist what his coaches order him to do) but even though he never said NO, he never said yes and embraced them fully. I suspect this is the case, though I don't see a ton of evidence in terms of him doing things extremely differently, outside of the results being a lot better as the entire O functions better for a range of reasons. However, Bledsoe would be other than human not be willing to grasp any change which might work at this point.

3. MM has found new ways to do the same things good coaches have done all along in Bledsoe's career to minimize his weaknesses and gain the benefits of his strengths. With Parcelss it was continually in practice using the force of his will as he kept yelling throw the damn ball when Drew would go into his trademark pat. BB and Weis constructed a powered down offense for Brady when Bledsoe got hurt and when Bledsoe came in to run that O in a must-win game the team and thus Bledsoe stuck with what they practiced all week.

In MM/TCs caase they seem to use an alarm clock to fill in for Parcell's will and they are running a run oriented O that apes the BB model of a powered down offense which does not call on Bledsoe to win games with his arm.

As far as the slide step, I think it has always been a natural part of Bledsoe's repetoire. I don't think he used it as much in his time as a Bill because he was often snowed down by the rush it was not possible to use. he has never been a runner and no one will correctly call his fast on his feet, but the slide step has always been there as one of his capabilities, we are now running the O in away that makes it useful and forces him to use it.

You guys don't state the obvious.

Teams haven't been throwing the jailbreak at him and the line is being more physical in the running game. Yet, I am still leery of them when it comes to simple pass protection. They have difficulty blocking just 5 rushers at times.

When other teams start blitzing alot more you will see the usual breakdowns and mistakes plague this team once again.

Teams haven't been throwing the jailbreak at him and the line is being more physical in the running game.  Yet, I am still leery of them when it comes to simple pass protection.  They have difficulty blocking just 5 rushers at times.

When other teams start blitzing alot more you will see the usual breakdowns and mistakes plague this team once again.

115333[/snapback]

If the Bills continue to run the ball other teams won't be blitzing much.

Teams haven't been throwing the jailbreak at him and the line is being more physical in the running game.  Yet, I am still leery of them when it comes to simple pass protection.  They have difficulty blocking just 5 rushers at times.

115333[/snapback]

There's a REASON teams haven't been throwing the jailbreak at him. One game of not doing this would be an aberration, but 3 is a trend. See if YOU can figure out why?

There's a REASON teams haven't been throwing the jailbreak at him.  One game of not doing this would be an aberration, but 3 is a trend.  See if YOU can figure out why?

115374[/snapback]

Exactly. I can't remember who the poster was who has harped on this a number of times, but with McGahee you have a formidible run game so teams can't just tee-off on Bledsoe. We have a back who can chip block and catch out of the back field and even picks up three or four yards on first down. Couple that with fewer offsides penalties, and you're suddenly second and six instead of first and fifteen.

That relieves the pressure on Bledsoe, buys him more time...etc...etc...etc...

This is one of the reason a lot of us are holding out hope that our steady improvements in offensive performance are not a fluke but rather, as you say, a trend.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=1920864

So maybe the career of Buffalo quarterback Drew Bledsoe isn't salvageable, and J.P. Losman, the first-round pick still rehabilitating from a broken leg suffered in training camp, will be the Bills starter in 2005. But in the past two weeks, Bledsoe offered a few hints that an old dog can, indeed, master some new tricks. Bledsoe has displayed better footwork, including a "slide step" that coordinator Tom Clements and quarterbacks coach Sam Wyche have been teaching him, in that period. The footwork, while a seemingly innocuous element, has helped Bledsoe buy some time in the pocket. He hasn't been sacked and hasn't thrown an interception in those two games.

115298[/snapback]

I have both the Cards and the Jets game taped and you can clearly see when pressure was colasping he simply side steped up in the pocket and completed the passes. It's not a lot but it is noticable. The coaches are doing everything they can.

Exactly. I can't remember who the poster was who has harped on this a number of times, but with McGahee you have a formidible run game so teams can't just tee-off on Bledsoe. We have a back who can chip block and catch out of the back field and even picks up three or four yards on first down. Couple that with fewer offsides penalties, and you're suddenly second and six instead of first and fifteen.

The biggest factor IMHO is Willis' speed to get to the outside. No longer can teams load up the interior and expect to shutdown the run (with Henry) or get to Bledsoe on passing plays because Willis can get to the outside where there's no contain, or stay back and pass protect. Frankly I want to see the Bills run Willis outside all day long, to tire out the Pats' defense and relieve pressure up the middle.

I have both the Cards and the Jets game taped and you can clearly see when pressure was colasping he simply side steped up in the pocket and completed the passes. It's not a lot but it is noticable. The coaches are doing everything they can.

115393[/snapback]

Have to give some credit to Drew here too. I hate having him as my starting QB, but you can't deny he has clearly improved in this area. He is no longer a statue, that slide step (and spin move) have bought him some serious time.

The O-line is playing better, but he's made it look better at times too. If this guy can just not make killer mistakes, we have a shot at the playoffs.

The biggest factor IMHO is Willis' speed to get to the outside.  No longer can teams load up the interior and expect to shutdown the run (with Henry) or get to Bledsoe on passing plays because Willis can get to the outside where there's no contain, or stay back and pass protect.  Frankly I want to see the Bills run Willis outside all day long, to tire out the Pats' defense and relieve pressure up the middle.

115394[/snapback]

Absolutely positively. It's dawning on Bills opponents that a toss to McGahee or a bounce to the outside means ,if Willis beats one guy, it's a 10 yard gain. WM is the power in the power offense.

The biggest factor IMHO is Willis' speed to get to the outside.  No longer can teams load up the interior and expect to shutdown the run (with Henry) or get to Bledsoe on passing plays because Willis can get to the outside where there's no contain, or stay back and pass protect.  Frankly I want to see the Bills run Willis outside all day long, to tire out the Pats' defense and relieve pressure up the middle.

115394[/snapback]

Yep! Exactly!

I saw the article, too. Also one that said that Warner was having trouble learning how to keep two-point pressure on the ball until he was ready to pass. Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks. It's harder, but do-able. Still liked Drew's "scramble" last week for the 1st down. Or was I dreaming?

It looked a lot like Losman (Twilight Zone music here)

I actually do doubt that Bledsoe has suddenly learned some new technique from the brilliant Tom Clements that those dullards Bill Parcells and Bill Belicheck were not aware of.  This is particularly true when this new method or old method he suddenly has been taught or embraced is a simple move like using the slide step.

What actually strikes me as more accurate is:

1. Bledsoe has gained new confidence in himself. the Mularkey offense and in the OL, a confidence which has been lost after the sorry productivity in his game and in the offense last year.  This recovered confidence has him being more decisive in the pocket and hesitating a lot less.  This is the change I see:

2. Bledsoe is embracing different approaches which in the past he did not actually resist (he seems to be far to pliable an athlete to resist what his coaches order him to do) but even though he never said NO, he never said yes and embraced them fully.  I suspect this is the case, though I don't see a ton of evidence in terms of him doing things extremely differently, outside of the results being a lot better as the entire O functions better for a range of reasons.  However, Bledsoe would be other than human not be willing to grasp any change which might work at this point.

3. MM has found new ways to do the same things good coaches have done all along in Bledsoe's career to minimize his weaknesses and gain the benefits of his strengths.  With Parcelss it was continually in practice using  the force of his will as he kept yelling throw the damn ball when Drew would go into his trademark pat.  BB and Weis constructed a powered down offense for Brady when Bledsoe got hurt and when Bledsoe came in to run that O in a must-win game the team and thus Bledsoe stuck with what they practiced all week.

In MM/TCs caase they seem to use an alarm clock to fill in for Parcell's will and they are running a run oriented O that apes the BB model of a powered down offense which does not call on Bledsoe to win games with his arm.

As far as the slide step, I think it has always been a natural part of Bledsoe's repetoire. I don't think he used it as much in his time as a Bill because he was often snowed down by the rush it was not possible to use.  he has never been a runner and no one will correctly call his fast on his feet, but the slide step has always been there as one of his capabilities, we are now running the O in away that makes it useful and forces him to use it.

115328[/snapback]

What actually strikes me as more accurate is: Bledsoe is an average QB. He has always been an average to above average QB. Only during his time with Parcells, an all pro OL, all pro WR, all pro TE and an all pro RB did he ever 1/2 way succeed.

Drew bledsoe is a guy that will do just enough to keep him from allowing a GOOD QB from hitting the field. Doubt that? When he went down with his injury, Tom Brady took the SAME OL, SAME Coaching, SAME system, SAME EVERYTHING And has won 2 Superbowls that included a 21 game winning streak. Oh and they have only lost 1 game this season.

Now I fully expect the blinded homer masses to continue to talk about the 'talent around Brady' the 'great coaching brady has'. to that I say....Bledsoe had the EXACT SAME and couldn't succeed.

now as for as this article goes, I feel MM, TC and SW are just doing all they can in all of their experience and power to keep Bledsoe from losing more games for us. They have been successful 2 of the last 3. Lets see how it plays out on sunday.

Obviously , just from the posts on this thread, a lot of things have contributed to Bledsoe's rejuvenation. I think as far as the coaching from Wyche is concerned, maybe he did not teach Bledsoe something he didn't already know, but when a player does not have a dedicated position coach who knows what he's doing (Gilbride as OC didn't put the time in that he should have to keep Bledsoe's fundamentals sharp) he can get sloppy and forget to actually practice the things that are locked up in his head. That's why proffessional golfers and tennis players have personal coaches, someone who watches them to make sure they keep doing the things that make them great.

What actually strikes me as more accurate is: Bledsoe is an average QB. He  has always been an average to above average QB. Only during his time with Parcells, an all pro OL, all pro WR, all pro TE and an all pro RB did he ever 1/2 way succeed.

Drew bledsoe is a guy that will do just enough to keep him from allowing a GOOD QB from hitting the field. Doubt that? When he went down with his injury, Tom Brady took the SAME OL, SAME Coaching, SAME system, SAME EVERYTHING And has won 2 Superbowls that included a 21 game winning streak. Oh and they have only lost 1 game this season.

Now I fully expect the blinded homer masses to continue to talk about the 'talent around Brady' the 'great coaching brady has'.  to that I say....Bledsoe had the EXACT SAME and couldn't succeed.

now as for as this article goes, I feel MM, TC and SW are just doing all they can in all of their experience and power to keep Bledsoe from losing more games for us. They have been successful 2 of the last 3. Lets see how it plays out on sunday.

115469[/snapback]

Is this the same average QB who conned almost all of the hundreds of college scouts to rate him as the top quarterback and top pick of the draft coming out of college? The same average QB who conned a different Pats GM and ownership to draft him first overall? The same average QB who conned fellow NFL players into voting for him into the pro bowl a few times? The same average QB who conned Bill Parcells the old certified genius into the Super Bowl, and the new certified genius Bill Bellicheck to award this average QB with a 100 million dollar contract before 40 million dollar contracts were common? That average QB who has always been average must be the most deceitful mofo out there.

Now I fully expect the blinded homer masses to continue to talk about the 'talent around Brady' the 'great coaching brady has'.  to that I say....Bledsoe had the EXACT SAME and couldn't succeed.

115469[/snapback]

I'm not a Drew appologist by any means, but this analysis is wrong.

Drew didn't have the exact same coaching or the exact same system as Brady. Not even close. Weis is a dink and dunker, who is most comfortable with short passes and screens. But with Drew in the lineup, like so many coaches, he was blinded by Bledsoe's ability to throw the deep ball (something he does better than anyone else in the league not named Farve by the way). Brady on the other hand has a marginal arm on the deep ball and Weis had to adjust to the scheme that Brady now thrives in.

Put another way, the Patriots didn't have the personel to run the sort of offense Drew was best at (deep balls which require lots of play action which necessitate a strong running game, something they lacked after Martin departed), yet they kept forcing it...remind anyone of Killdrive? When Brady stepped in, they had to change the scheme and realized that their personel (the RBs who were great in the short passing game, the smaller, slower WRs like Brown who excelled at intermediate routes) was better suited to Brady's game and Weis's talents as a cooridinator.

I am not trying to disparage Brady by anymeans. I think he is a talented QB, but he was fortunate to be on the right team at the right time. And it was fortunate for the Pats too for had Drew not gotten hurt, they would have never realized their scheme didn't fit their team.

But to say Drew has always been an average QB and using your proof is not fair or realistic.

I'm not a Drew appologist by any means, but this analysis is wrong.

Drew didn't have the exact same coaching or the exact same system as Brady. Not even close. Weis is a dink and dunker, who is most comfortable with short passes and screens. But with Drew in the lineup, like so many coaches, he was blinded by Bledsoe's ability to throw the deep ball (something he does better than anyone else in the league not named Farve by the way). Brady on the other hand has a marginal arm on the deep ball and Weis had to adjust to the scheme that Brady now thrives in.

Put another way, the Patriots didn't have the personel to run the sort of offense Drew was best at (deep balls which require lots of play action which necessitate a strong running game, something they lacked after Martin departed), yet they kept forcing it...remind anyone of Killdrive? When Brady stepped in, they had to change the scheme and realized that their personel (the RBs who were great in the short passing game, the smaller, slower WRs like Brown who excelled at intermediate routes) was better suited to Brady's game and Weis's talents as a cooridinator.

I am not trying to disparage Brady by anymeans. I think he is a talented QB, but he was fortunate to be on the right team at the right time. And it was fortunate for the Pats too for had Drew not gotten hurt, they would have never realized their scheme didn't fit their team.

But to say Drew has always been an average QB and using your proof is not fair or realistic.

115613[/snapback]

Not to mention they added a running back and about 30 other new players that took a few games to gel. Granted, Tom Brady is a better quarterback than Drew is. I think that has been proven. There isn't one GM in the league that wouldn't take Brady over Drew. But that doesn't mean that Drew completely stinks or always has stunk or a team cannot win with him. I have supported Drew in the past but I am as ready for the Losman era as anyone. That, still, doesn't mean that Drew cannot play well enough for the Bills to be a dangerous team.