Micheal Jordan, what a great HOF speech

The Poojer

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mmmmm...I just got a call from Lemieux then another one from Orr...--but if i had a vote its Gretzky by the width of an electron over those two.

Did Lemieux and Orr have an explanation for how Gretzky scored more career points, won more championships and more MVPs than the two of them combined?

So your arguement is that Orr was the equivalant of Gretzky while among the 3 guys listed below, there isn't even a debate about who was the best? Sorry, but that is laughable.

Player G PPG PTS RPG REB APG ASST

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 1,560 24.6 38,387 11.2 17,440 3.6 5,660

Michael Jordan 1,072 30.1 32,292 6.2 6,672 5.3 5,633

Wilt Chamberlain 1,045 30.1 31,419 22.9 23,924 2.8 4,643

Did Lemieux and Orr have an explanation for how Gretzky scored more career points, won more championships and more MVPs than the two of them combined?

So your arguement is that Orr was the equivalant of Gretzky while among the 3 guys listed below, there isn't even a debate about who was the best? Sorry, but that is laughable.

I don't know about Orr's excuse, but Lemieux has a viable complaint:

The instigator rule.

Too bad Mario wasn't born 10 years earlier.

I don't know about Orr's excuse, but Lemieux has a viable complaint:

The instigator rule.

Too bad Mario wasn't born 10 years earlier.

Too bad Mario wasn't healthier. He was an amazing talent, fun to watch, but his body of work still didn't touch The Great One.

I am so glad I was around during the Jordan Era! What an amazing Basketball talent

I only saw/heard the highlights, but I have already herd MJ's speech referred to as one of the "worst HOF speeches ever"...not sure what he said/didn't say to illicit that reaction... thought it was cool that he thanked the Isiah, and the Ice Man for "freezing him out" in his first all star game, saying it made him hungry, to gain the respect of the guys who had already been there...I agree that he is possibly one of the two or three greatest pro athletes of all time...there are always haters...

I agree... But the era also took a toll on him... I wonder what Wayne would do now? You know it wouldn't have been as amazing without a McSorley or Semenko protecting his pretty boy ass...

Valid point, but you can't blame a player for his era. He dominated at his time. And the Oilers were smart enough to keep their guys protected.

I only saw/heard the highlights, but I have already herd MJ's speech referred to as one of the "worst HOF speeches ever"...not sure what he said/didn't say to illicit that reaction... thought it was cool that he thanked the Isiah, and the Ice Man for "freezing him out" in his first all star game, saying it made him hungry, to gain the respect of the guys who had already been there...I agree that he is possibly one of the two or three greatest pro athletes of all time...there are always haters...

Pretty good reaction to his speech here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aoly...o&type=lgns

stats--the last resort of a scoundrel.

Lemieux and Orr were equal to Gretzky in talent.They were all completely dominant players. Gretzy was less injured.

Kareem and Wilt were not as good basketball players as Jordan.

Pretty good reaction to his speech here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aoly...o&type=lgns

Still not having seen the speech in its' entirety, I don't think that the speech can diminish Jordan's greatness in the game of basketball. It is not exactly breaking news that he has a big ego...most athletes, even those far less successful and talented than MJ have big egos. Jordan's perspective on his career is not the same as some sports writer...

Still not having seen the speech in its' entirety, I don't think that the speech can diminish Jordan's greatness in the game of basketball. It is not exactly breaking news that he has a big ego...most athletes, even those far less successful and talented than MJ have big egos. Jordan's perspective on his career is not the same as some sports writer...

Relate it to Bruce Smith's induction speech. Every single guy I've talked to who covered him had some not-so-nice things to say about his ego, arrogance, whatever you want to call it ... but in Canton, he was surprisingly gracious, humble, and respectful of the moment. From reading Woj, whose opinion I've come to trust implicitly over the almost 20 years I've been reading his work, it sounds like Jordan was none of the three.

I don't think anyone is saying that his speech diminishes his career, but rather that the majority of his speech was unnecessarily confrontational (a lot of I told you so's) and pretty petty for the greatest basketball player ever. The witer even acknowledged that MJ's attitude was nothing new, but that a lot of people were surprised and disappointed that he went the route he did, and how MJ's speech was in stark contrast to the other inductees'.

And it's not just one sportswriter's opinion. There were a lot of articles written about it, and they seem to be split down the middle - some think he gave a great speech and struck the right tones, and a lot of others thought he was petty and vindictive on a night he should have been gracious and humbled. I tend to lean toward the latter, but reading this article by Wilbon I can understand a little better why MJ's speech was so edgy. I would just hope that his retirement would have taken the edge off that raw, burning competitive desire and for one night, be a little more gracious about his career and the people who helped him along the way (not just the negative motivators).

Relate it to Bruce Smith's induction speech. Every single guy I've talked to who covered him had some not-so-nice things to say about his ego, arrogance, whatever you want to call it ... but in Canton, he was surprisingly gracious, humble, and respectful of the moment. From reading Woj, whose opinion I've come to trust implicitly over the almost 20 years I've been reading his work, it sounds like Jordan was none of the three.

Good post, Lori.