Edwards becomes VanPill's #1 project

Beerball

I really liked Sully's article there. Good read. Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky, AVP will work some magic, Trent gets his mojo back and we catch Bill and the Pats by surprise. (I can dream can't I!)

I found Sully's article to be poor reporting (and likely sucking up to AVP to get him as a source) in his fawning description of AVP's play.

I think that any columnist who cared about the truth more trying to give a hand job to a players ego would summarize AVP as yes being a good strategic ally for the starter Kelly, and being a great performing back-up when the D had its usual let down after it had knocked the starting QB out of the game, but his performance was generally just plain bad when the team was forced to start him in a regular season game.

Don't get me wrong I love AVP as a personality and really liked his play coming off the bench. However, when an opponent had a week to prepare to face him and in particular hide coverages to get him to throw to an area he thought was opened AVP could simply be raped by an opposing D.

The only thing a little worrisome about AVP taking over (worrisome about his individual talents as the disarray of the team itself merits a different order of concern) is that this football Brainiac seemed to be fairly easily fooled by opposing football minds who had time to prepare for him,

AVP did well under immediate pressure of coming into a game to sub for a wounded Kelly (as he did against Pitt in the playoffs where he steered the team to a TD while Kelly got the needle in the lockeroom and came back) or for am injured starter when he steered the team to a winning FG in one game,

However as a starter he simply got taken to the woodshed as he did against NE at home in a full game after he had starred in an enforced sub role (I think it was a demolition of TC which won him the start) and he did in a start against the Jets were hidden coverages cost him a couple of INTs.

I hope he has learned a couple of things as a coach that will help him set a good tone against preparation.

I really liked Sully's article there. Good read. Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky, AVP will work some magic, Trent gets his mojo back and we catch Bill and the Pats by surprise. (I can dream can't I!)

I agree, Usually Sully annoy's me but this article was spot on!

I am not usually a fan of Sully. But this was a nice article.

I found Sully's article to be poor reporting (and likely sucking up to AVP to get him as a source) in his fawning description of AVP's play.

I think that any columnist who cared about the truth more trying to give a hand job to a players ego would summarize AVP as yes being a good strategic ally for the starter Kelly, and being a great performing back-up when the D had its usual let down after it had knocked the starting QB out of the game, but his performance was generally just plain bad when the team was forced to start him in a regular season game.

Don't get me wrong I love AVP as a personality and really liked his play coming off the bench. However, when an opponent had a week to prepare to face him and in particular hide coverages to get him to throw to an area he thought was opened AVP could simply be raped by an opposing D.

The only thing a little worrisome about AVP taking over (worrisome about his individual talents as the disarray of the team itself merits a different order of concern) is that this football Brainiac seemed to be fairly easily fooled by opposing football minds who had time to prepare for him,

AVP did well under immediate pressure of coming into a game to sub for a wounded Kelly (as he did against Pitt in the playoffs where he steered the team to a TD while Kelly got the needle in the lockeroom and came back) or for am injured starter when he steered the team to a winning FG in one game,

However as a starter he simply got taken to the woodshed as he did against NE at home in a full game after he had starred in an enforced sub role (I think it was a demolition of TC which won him the start) and he did in a start against the Jets were hidden coverages cost him a couple of INTs.

I hope he has learned a couple of things as a coach that will help him set a good tone against preparation.

Hey, Sullivan only said that AVP was better than Rob Johnson...I would hardly call that a "handjob"!

Other than you, I guess the wall likes Sully today?

Those who can't do....teach.