Jerry Jones rips revenue sharing

dbringer

The WWE (formerly the WWF) -- is one the most profitable entertainment entities ever. they make about $600 mil (revenues) year. Thus, Jerry JOnes trying to mimic it, is brilliant. Im not taking JOnes side -- just playing devil's advocate.

Crushing the little guy is how big business works. Business has no morals or social awareness. Ever hear of Enron?

With the big business aside, and my opinion of what jones has in mind aside (his motivations) -- i agree with you RJ that you would think owners would want to preserve the product. And again, that is wilson's only position. WIlson also says that he deserves this sharing model b/k he was a poineer of the product. THis arguement (the Don Corleone trick) is almost done -- as his co-horts Mara, KC guys, Bidwell, etc are almost all gone and passed away. Wilson does deserve credit -- but after 40 years, no one cares. People are starting not to care about anything. The argument that the cartel must stay whole and that there money in the structure and conformity and unity of a well run league, on balance, can not compete or out rationalize the big business model seen in Major league baseball and wanted by NFL greedy owners. THey see profits being shared. They see a monopoly of teams - -that protect the little teams who HARDLY have any comapred to them. They see 5 or 6 teams that are in the way. The other cities are solvient and can make huge cash without sharing. Cincy, Buff, Jax, et al are the trouble makers. the little cities and teams have to beg for new stadiums to look like they are helping and participating in the sharing (here, if you get a new stadium - you make 20-30% more profit to bring to the profit sharing table). With Wilson, he has a crap stadium with NO luxury box licenses to big donors. He is NOT BRINING anything to the table or helping the sharing of money. His product is actually taking money as is Mike Brown's. And Jerry JOnes is pissed about that.

ultimatly, the bills and fans get an inferior product and stadium with sharing. owners have no motivation to build or make profits. they simply live off scraps of the kills of the stronger lions. and with the new luxury box licnese fees and stadium fees, etc -- this sharing model is dumb for the big owners to keep up.

You're an idiot for comparing the NFL to wrestling or Enron. Good grief, use your head. The Harlem Gobetrotters are about the only "team" that can be successful traveling around as it's own entity. So, the Cowboy's and the NFL will benefit from that? I guess McDonalds should close down all of its stores except for those in large cities? Throw your "corporate" mindset out and use common sense. There will be way to much resistance to the NFL "abandoning/isolating" 6-10 NFL cities. F.U Jerry Jones!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly!

Think of this difference:

Ralph Wilson sees the Raiders and the Pats floundering in the 1960s, and arranges cash infusions to save the AFL so that everyone benefits, while Jerry Jones is looking for any way he can to crush smaller franchises. Which one contributes more to the future of the NFL?

Excellent point, thanks for clarifying the whole argument in two sentences while the JJ suporters take paragraphs and still fail. :worthy:

There is such a thing as business rules...or, "things that define the nature of the business you are in".

What makes NFL football, NFL football, is the social contract between the American people and the NFL that contains some clear business rules. There are many but one of the most important ones is:

The draw of the NFL, on the whole, is that the difference between the losers and the winners is ultimately how they play on the field. Play by play, game by game, those who give the best effort reward themselves and their fans with winning. The consequences of this rule are that the game is literally unpredictable, unlike baseball and basketball, and therefore, much more entertaining.

Another rule:

In order for play on the field to dictate outcomes...we must hold everything else as equal and constant, as much as possible. Things like the draft and waiver wire order, the salary cap, and revenue sharing are vital to the NFL. They are there to drive the business towards equilbrium, and therefore, back towards play on the field being the sole determining factor of winning.

Let's face it. That's why we watch. We want to see who will work harder than the other guy. Also, we want to see/share in the benefit of good teamwork. Truthfully, we are most entertained by players on the field, making incredible plays....much more than the things that come along for the ride = (offense/defense schemes, offensive/defensive lineman, sorry but that is boring..period, the other team/city, what the punter does, what the stadium is like, cheerleaders, owners, GMs, the Draft/FA). All this other crap is what we pay attention to because we only get very limited amount of what we really want.

So while infantile owners like Jerry Jones(I mean who designs a field that has more to do with the scoreboard...and less to do with football, other than a baby who wants his toy?) think they are going to get less revenue sharing going forward....they are fooling themselves

Why? Because any proposed change that breaks the "it's all about what happens on the field" business rule is going nowhere fast. Jerry Jones says he is a businessman. IF he is, then he should know better than trying to break seminal business rules without the full support/coercion of the entire organization. Running your mouth without that support does nothing other than make you look like an idiot.

Franky, he's starting to look more like an idiot(TO, Pac Man, Tank, Scoreboard) a less like a great business man, every day.

'Fans' need to realize this is big business now. I predict we are back to 28 teams in about 5 years. I see Jax, Buff and a couple others going under.

No one cares that the small markets exist.

Could very well be. This is the further breakdown of the old unspoken agreement between fans and sports leagues: Fans are encouraged to feel emotional ties, and the leagues try not to rub the fans' noses into what idiots they are for having an emotional connection to a bunch of millionaire genetic freaks in Halloween costumes. Of course anyone who spends two seconds really thinking about what it means to follow sports knew that already, but the more the leagues depart from that unspoken bit of mutual deception, the greater the risk they run of killing the golden goose.

That is what some people call progress.

By the way, ICE, welcome back. Sorry to hear about Sam Bradford tonight.

Exactly my point. Jerry doesn't care if the value of the bottom third of NFL teams declines. Jerry only cares about the value of the Cowboys increasing. From the article:

Yep. One interesting data point was the Braves, which declined in value.

Baseball has a lot of problems, though. I'm not sure I'd call it a "success story". It certainly sits nearer the back of that bus than the NFL, which has been the hottest growing sport the past 40 years or so. It hasn't totally failed, so I guess that is a form of success.

Could very well be. This is the further breakdown of the old unspoken agreement between fans and sports leagues: Fans are encouraged to feel emotional ties, and the leagues try not to rub the fans' noses into what idiots they are for having an emotional connection to a bunch of millionaire genetic freaks in Halloween costumes. Of course anyone who spends two seconds really thinking about what it means to follow sports knew that already, but the more the leagues depart from that unspoken bit of mutual deception, the greater the risk they run of killing the golden goose.

That is what some people call progress.

By the way, ICE, welcome back. Sorry to hear about Sam Bradford tonight.

Yeah I can see many less teams to create as they will say 'a more competitive league'. Someone said JJ needs 21 more owners? JJ just doesn't talk out his ass, you can bet he damn near has that already to be saying something this bold.

Thanks for the welcome back, it is nice to be home :wallbash: . I can't tell you how bad I feel for Bradford. GREAT kid and he can be a damn good NFL QB. Thing is this OL sucks worse than any I have seen in all my decades of watching OU football. This team, even with him, won't win more than about 7 games this year out of the 12 they play.

Yeah I can see many less teams to create as they will say 'a more competitive league'. Someone said JJ needs 21 more owners? JJ just doesn't talk out his ass, you can bet he damn near has that already to be saying something this bold.

Thanks for the welcome back, it is nice to be home :wallbash: . I can't tell you how bad I feel for Bradford. GREAT kid and he can be a damn good NFL QB. Thing is this OL sucks worse than any I have seen in all my decades of watching OU football. This team, even with him, won't win more than about 7 games this year out of the 12 they play.

and that's in a league that plays no defense :wallbash:

Exactly my point. Jerry doesn't care if the value of the bottom third of NFL teams declines. Jerry only cares about the value of the Cowboys increasing. From the article:

A MAJOR difference between baseball & football is weather. People are HAPPY to go to a baseball game on a sunny summer day even if they think their team has little chance to win. Aside from the FEW hard core Cities like Buffalo most people will not go to watch a losing football team. If the NFL is turned into a league of haves & have nots, the entire league will suffer including the big market teams because people will lose interest in it.

The WWE (formerly the WWF) -- is one the most profitable entertainment entities ever. they make about $600 mil (revenues) year. Thus, Jerry JOnes trying to mimic it, is brilliant. Im not taking JOnes side -- just playing devil's advocate.

Crushing the little guy is how big business works. Business has no morals or social awareness. Ever hear of Enron?

The ground is crumbling under Vince McMahon and soon his company won't be so profitable. Same will happen with the NFL

and that's in a league that plays no defense :wallbash:

I wish I could argue the point. although overall I felt we did ok on D against florida. Our stupid OC lost us that national championship.

BTW the same OC that got all offended at the Big 12 PC's a couple weeks ago that people said the OL was a weak link...

Excellent point, thanks for clarifying the whole argument in two sentences while the JJ suporters take paragraphs and still fail. :wallbash:

Jerry Jones is a cancer. He will eat away at the fiber of the NFL until he gets his way. He will destroy franchises like Buffalo. He is about making money, for himself. People like Jones are why the entire financial system fell apart last year. His type of thinking will kill the league as we know it. I'm sure he is just waiting for the day RW is gone so he can see the team out of Buffalo. I am sure he will do anything in his power at that point to support a move. Remember when this last joke of a collective bargaining agreement was pushed onto the owners by Jones and his cohorts there was a clause stating that the revenue sharing would stop for any team after it's current owner is no longer there. Jones is a snake. I can only hope that RW outlives him. Now that would be justice.