Posters wish list for AVP

A. Have a comprehensive plan of how to exploit the defense from week to week. Don't just call a bunch of crap cuz it sounds fun.

B. Run counters to plays...often. For example, Schonert has a play where there are 2 WRs, and a combination of backs and TEs (Usually 1 back 2 TE). Josh Reed comes in motion but stops or starts to slide step before he passes by the tight end. When he did that they ran the ball 100% of the time. When he passed the TE they passed 100% of the time. I swear to God I'm not making it up, go back and watch games fromt he last 2 years. The way Schonert would counter that would be to have a TE or RB split wide then do what Reed did except pass. The problem was it was different personnel so the D could key on that and ignore the run. If he one time ran a play action pass with Reed on the field showing that motion the TE would have been wide open up the middle of the field because the LBs and Ss were jumping up like wild dogs. it was absolutely ridiculous that I could sit in my living room and call plays by formation down and distance. There are people employed to spend 18 hours a day looking at tape to find that stuff and TS's offense was so telegraphed that you could pick it up at home. How is that Jauron's fault for "limiting his formations" or wanting a "Pop Warner" offense. Learn how to call a sequence of plays that doesn't tip off the universe as to what you are doing. How many formations do you need, really? how many ways are they to line-up?

Schonert fancies himself as the mad scientist sitting in his lab concocting schemes...except once he has an idea rather than building off that idea and formation he scraps it and gets a new one so you have 40 plays with 40 formations so the D knows what's coming just by looking at how you're disposed on the field. Turk obviously didn't play Tecmo Bowl because that doesn't even work in VIDEO GAMES.

Offenses that are effective are basic in design but complex in execution. Indy's offense isn't crazy complex and they only have a couple formations, but Manning and his receivers are able to know what each other are thinking and run variations of the same play based on sight reads becuase they have so many reps in the same positions on the field there are only so many ways to defend it. That repetition leads to comfort and true understanding what what is going on on both sides. not just run here cuz the book says so, run here cuz player A is going here, B is going here and there's going to be an open area over there which the QB sees too and knows where i'm going. For example, in any given formation Marvin Harrison could have 6 different routes he could run from his given position, while the WR on the other side would also have 6, the TE would have 6 and the 3rd WR would have 6. They could line up exactly the same way and run a different play each time for the whole game. The way your defense is deployed dictates the route choice, the d changes the route changes. The D gets no cues from your disposition. Very simple in design, complex in execution, and of course you could also run the ball.

Even things that sound complex usually aren't. last year Miami busted out the "Wildact". High School kids run that offense and Miami really only ran 10 or so different plays (if that) out of that formation, but each play countered another and took advantage of an adjustment you'd make. You chase Brown he hands to RW going out the backside, you bring up 9 guys and key both RBs Brown throws a pass, etc, etc, etc. It's a very simple offense to run and high school and college kids all over the country run variations of it. The key is in the countering because if all you do is run the QB/Rb off tackle out of that formation it's easy to stop, you see Ronnie Brown behind center you crash the LOS, game over.

C. When the run is working feed the backs until they drop over dead. Watch the SF tape of last year and never ever repeat it.

That is all.

A. Have a comprehensive plan of how to exploit the defense from week to week. Don't just call a bunch of crap cuz it sounds fun.

B. Run counters to plays...often. For example, Schonert has a play where there are 2 WRs, and a combination of backs and TEs (Usually 1 back 2 TE). Josh Reed comes in motion but stops or starts to slide step before he passes by the tight end. When he did that they ran the ball 100% of the time. When he passed the TE they passed 100% of the time. I swear to God I'm not making it up, go back and watch games fromt he last 2 years. The way Schonert would counter that would be to have a TE or RB split wide then do what Reed did except pass. The problem was it was different personnel so the D could key on that and ignore the run. If he one time ran a play action pass with Reed on the field showing that motion the TE would have been wide open up the middle of the field because the LBs and Ss were jumping up like wild dogs. it was absolutely ridiculous that I could sit in my living room and call plays by formation down and distance. There are people employed to spend 18 hours a day looking at tape to find that stuff and TS's offense was so telegraphed that you could pick it up at home. How is that Jauron's fault for "limiting his formations" or wanting a "Pop Warner" offense. Learn how to call a sequence of plays that doesn't tip off the universe as to what you are doing. How many formations do you need, really? how many ways are they to line-up?

Schonert fancies himself as the mad scientist sitting in his lab concocting schemes...except once he has an idea rather than building off that idea and formation he scraps it and gets a new one so you have 40 plays with 40 formations so the D knows what's coming just by looking at how you're disposed on the field. Turk obviously didn't play Tecmo Bowl because that doesn't even work in VIDEO GAMES.

Offenses that are effective are basic in design but complex in execution. Indy's offense isn't crazy complex and they only have a couple formations, but Manning and his receivers are able to know what each other are thinking and run variations of the same play based on sight reads becuase they have so many reps in the same positions on the field there are only so many ways to defend it. That repetition leads to comfort and true understanding what what is going on on both sides. not just run here cuz the book says so, run here cuz player A is going here, B is going here and there's going to be an open area over there which the QB sees too and knows where i'm going. For example, in any given formation Marvin Harrison could have 6 different routes he could run from his given position, while the WR on the other side would also have 6, the TE would have 6 and the 3rd WR would have 6. They could line up exactly the same way and run a different play each time for the whole game. The way your defense is deployed dictates the route choice, the d changes the route changes. The D gets no cues from your disposition. Very simple in design, complex in execution, and of course you could also run the ball.

Even things that sound complex usually aren't. last year Miami busted out the "Wildact". High School kids run that offense and Miami really only ran 10 or so different plays (if that) out of that formation, but each play countered another and took advantage of an adjustment you'd make. You chase Brown he hands to RW going out the backside, you bring up 9 guys and key both RBs Brown throws a pass, etc, etc, etc. It's a very simple offense to run and high school and college kids all over the country run variations of it. The key is in the countering because if all you do is run the QB/Rb off tackle out of that formation it's easy to stop, you see Ronnie Brown behind center you crash the LOS, game over.

C. When the run is working feed the backs until they drop over dead. Watch the SF tape of last year and never ever repeat it.

That is all.

:thumbsup: Very solid post!

That is all.

I nominate this for post of the month (if there were such a thing here). Excellent.

A-F%#king-Men.

Throw to TO on the run alot. When they start camping on TO throw it to Evans.

Let me get back to you on the no huddle. Still not sure about that one.

Run plays down at the end zone that are somewhat tricky. The ones I see other teams do all the time and score. Like the one where the TE runs behind the OL behind the LOS and then flares out for a pass wide open. Or, like I think it was the Fish last year. Line up with 2 or 3 TEs and 2 backs like you're going to pound it in. Fake the handoff. One of the TEs block and then releases his block and goes to the back of the end zone all by himself.

<_< Very solid post!

Yep, that what I have been saying the last few years. I could nail the play 90% of the time and I am not paid to do that, nor have I studied under one of the greats.

That's just plain scary.

Keep the formations and the protections simple, but run a variety of plays off of those formations. Throw in a few misdirections. And for gods sake DEMAND that Trent throw downfield at least once every series.

Yep, that what I have been saying the last few years. I could nail the play 90% of the time and I am not paid to do that, nor have I studied under one of the greats.

That's just plain scary.

Keep the formations and the protections simple, but run a variety of plays off of those formations. Throw in a few misdirections. And for gods sake DEMAND that Trent throw downfield at least once every series.

I've been saying it too. When I can sit on my couch a thousand miles away, half drunk and I can call the play presnap; you know opposing NFL defenses can do it. AVP has got to find a way to make the offense less predicatable. Adding a few things like slant passes, play action, and RB screens wouldn't hurt either.

I've been saying it too. When I can sit on my couch a thousand miles away, half drunk and I can call the play presnap; you know opposing NFL defenses can do it. AVP has got to find a way to make the offense less predicatable. Adding a few things like slant passes, play action, and RB screens wouldn't hurt either.

True that... I don't know if this is in time to have any positive effect against NE, but it can't hurt based on what I saw the end of last year and this preseason from our starters.

The "Pill" needs to fire up the troops and show that he is listening, but he also will need to know how to block out all the "noise" and take command - if DJ is any kind of HC that is where he needs to step up, support AVP, run interference for him while he gets acclimated to his new role.

This could be a very positive thing.

Yes, Ralph is cheap when it comes to paying his coaches, but successful coaches all have to come up from the coordinator ranks. This is Alex's time to boom or bust. I believe we have the talent to be a very successful offense, but can he put them in positions to be successful...

I hope his first move is to put Bell in at LT, move Walker back, and sit Levitre till he is more seasoned.

• 2 weeks later...
A-F%#king-Men.

Throw to TO on the run alot. When they start camping on TO throw it to Evans.

Let me get back to you on the no huddle. Still not sure about that one.

Run plays down at the end zone that are somewhat tricky. The ones I see other teams do all the time and score. Like the one where the TE runs behind the OL behind the LOS and then flares out for a pass wide open. Or, like I think it was the Fish last year. Line up with 2 or 3 TEs and 2 backs like you're going to pound it in. Fake the handoff. One of the TEs block and then releases his block and goes to the back of the end zone all by himself.

Alex must be reading TSW and taking my advice. The TD pass to #89 is the play I was talking about. And, it worked just as I described.