Swtich to 3-4

bobshaw81

i know everyone wants to rant about the offense.. but the defense is just as bad.. the bills have an average defense at best.. except we cant get off the field on 3rd downs. they couldn't stop a 3rd and 10 for their life. they generate no pass rush what so ever.. this seems to be the same defense once again. small, fast and intelligent players... this combo dick uses does not work.. i suggest switching to a 3-4.

move kyle williams to DE along with schobel

leave stroud at nose tackle

OLBs are maybin and ellison(there should be a better alternative here but we did not upgrade)

ILBs are Poz and Mitchell

Ss are Scott and Whitner

CBs mcgee, mckelvin, corner

atleast we would add some size and have maybin on the field all the time. unless you want to pay $1 mill. or more for a sack this season.

i know everyone wants to rant about the offense.. but the defense is just as bad.. the bills have an average defense at best.. except we cant get off the field on 3rd downs. they couldn't stop a 3rd and 10 for their life. they generate no pass rush what so ever.. this seems to be the same defense once again. small, fast and intelligent players... this combo dick uses does not work.. i suggest switching to a 3-4.

OLBs are maybin and ellison(there should be a better alternative here but we did not upgrade)

Ss are Scott and Whitner

atleast we would add some size and have maybin on the field all the time. unless you want to pay $1 mill. or more for a sack this season.

swtich to a keyboard where you can type properly. Seriously, this has been suggested many times before. Anytime you switch scheme you need to have the personnel for it. Frankly, we do not have the depth at linebacker to pull it off imo.

swtich to a keyboard where you can type properly. Seriously, this has been suggested many times before. Anytime you switch scheme you need to have the personnel for it. Frankly, we do not have the depth at linebacker to pull it off imo.

Exactly Our LB crew is not set up for this...

The problem is we don't have a true nose for a 3-4. Schobel isn't big enough to play DE in a 3-4 either. Stroud would actually be the one that would need to move out there and they have said that in the past.

Warren Sapp actually played DE in Oakland in the 3-4 so that shows you we just dont have the personnel for it.

I think it would be great if we played a 3-4 but we would have had to make that switch in March not now. The other thing is the pass rush would be worse not better with the team we have. Our safeties can't cover crossing patterns so that would keep us from blitzing thus causing the 3-4 to be ineffective.

On another note...the D hasn't played bad seeing as how the offense has been on and off the field in 3 minutes or less every freakin drive. I don't blame them at all for our preseason performance.

Ss are Scott and Whitner

Some of the best teams use a 3-4. But it is not going to add size as you suggested above. We have Stroud, Williams, and Schobel on the field now in the 4-3 and Kelsey/Maybin.

move kyle williams to DE along with schobelleave stroud at nose tackle

Ss are Scott and Whitner

That defensive idea just might work......we would have 12 players on the field and if the ref's don't notice, it would be one heck of an advantage!!

That defensive idea just might work......we would have 12 players on the field and if the ref's don't notice, it would be one heck of an advantage!!

"Think about how dumb the average person is......then realize that half the people are dumber than that!!"

George Carlin

Ss are Scott and Whitner

maybe if we get a time machine and draft haloti nagata and have a different coach. in the meantime we we are a couple of weeks away from teh season with what we got.

Ss are Scott and Whitner

Our players simply don't fit this. In your lineup, our NT wouldn't be big enough, one DE would have no experience at his new position and totally different responsibilities, the other DE would be about 60 pounds too small to play the position. And switching Maybin to LB would be a gamble at best, he's never played there and switching from DE to LB is hard (see Vernon Gholston if you doubt this).

If we do make that switch, it will require two to three years and will end with us jettisoning virtually all our present defenders.

Our players simply don't fit this. In your lineup, our NT wouldn't be big enough, one DE would have no experience at his new position and totally different responsibilities, the other DE would be about 60 pounds too small to play the position. And switching Maybin to LB would be a gamble at best, he's never played there and switching from DE to LB is hard (see Vernon Gholston if you doubt this).

If we do make that switch, it will require two to three years and will end with us jettisoning virtually all our present defenders.

let me know what you think after the patriots score 40 points

Just a few things to keep in mind...

- Haloti Ngata plays end in Baltimore's 3-4, so there's absolutely no reason Marcus Stroud couldn't do it here. The same goes for Darnell Dockett in Arizona, B.J. Raji and Cullen Jenkins in Green Bay, and Richard Seymour in New England (never played end prior to being drafted by NE).

- Spencer Johnson is almost ideally suited to play DE in a 3-4 at 287 lbs.

- Kyle Williams spent time at NT in college when LSU mixed in the 3-4 (Tyson Jackson and Glenn Dorsey played DE), and is built almost perfectly for the position (similar to Baltimore's Kelly Gregg). I'm not saying he'd be a great NT, but he certainly wouldn't be out of place there.

- The ILB's in the 3-4 tend to be bigger guys that can pursue (typically the type of guys that would flip-flop b/w MLB and OLB in the 4-3), so Mitchell and Posluszny would appear to be good fits for those positions. I know that Mitchell played both MLB and OLB in Kansas City, and if I remember correctly Poz played both positions interchangeably at Penn State.

- I think we're all comfortable with Maybin at rush LB, even though he'd have to grow into the position, and switching to a 3-4 would allow the team to save cash by cutting Kelsay and Schobel and opening up the competition at the other rush LB spot to guys like Copeland Bryan and Chris Ellis.

Of course, all of the above would be predicated on the coaching staff wanting to make the change, and while I think that's very unlikely, I just wanted to point out that it's not all that impractical given the personnel.

Ss are Scott and Whitner

Did you even watch the Steelers game? They gave up 10 points on defense to Pittsburgh's first string offense. On the Steeler's only offensive touchdown drive, Big Ben made several great plays to keep that drive alive. The defense was not the problem, and has not been so far in the pre-season. The offense needs to sustain drives. Switching to a 3-4 is out of the question for this team. They do not have the right players or the right coaches for it.

and our DE crew is not set up for the 4-3

same difference

I've thought about the switch or the idea of alternating 4-3 and 3-4. I think the 3-4 look would set up a little more like this.

DE - Chris Kelsay/Ryan Denney

DE - Spencer Johnson

NT - Marcus Stroud

OLB - Aaron Schobel (see Kampman in GB - 6'4" 265)

OLB - Aaron Maybin

ILB - Paul Posluszny

ILB - Kawika Mitchell

CB - Terrence McGee

CB - Leodis McKelvin

FS - Donte Whitner

SS - Bryan Scott

The D-line would need to be tweaked going forward, but the LBers and DB's are very solid.

Maybin and Schobel would wreak havoc from the rush linebacker position.

Buffalo would need to pick up a space eating NT for this to really work and move Stroud to DE to be stout against the run.

I've thought about the switch or the idea of alternating 4-3 and 3-4. I think the 3-4 look would set up a little more like this.

DE - Chris Kelsay/Ryan Denney

DE - Spencer Johnson

NT - Marcus Stroud

OLB - Aaron Schobel (see Kampman in GB - 6'4" 265)

OLB - Aaron Maybin

ILB - Paul Posluszny

ILB - Kawika Mitchell

CB - Terrence McGee

CB - Leodis McKelvin

FS - Donte Whitner

SS - Bryan Scott

The D-line would need to be tweaked going forward, but the LBers and DB's are very solid.

Maybin and Schobel would wreak havoc from the rush linebacker position.

Buffalo would need to pick up a space eating NT for this to really work and move Stroud to DE to be stout against the run.

I thought of the same thing. Except I would put Williams in there at NT and move Stroud at DE or the other way around. Im not sure Schobel is quick enough anymore to pull off OLB, Id rather see Nic Harris in there but it would have been nice to see this all go down if we decided to make the change before camp.