Ralph's Firings

jahbonas

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One more time. There are NO Buffalo Bills without Ralph Wilson. There is no team here in 1960. There is no team when there were numerous profitable offerings throughout his 50 years to leave this dying city. There are no Super Bowl appearances. There is no stadium in Orchard Park. This is "Its a Wonderful Life" in all it dying city mode. It is unbelievable that he stayed. The only people who should really be upset is his family. He has cost them hundreds of millions of dollars by not moving to LA or Houston when he had the chance and the league would have let him.

So, all you whiners, sobbers and complainers about Ralph, if you have ever enjoyed a wonderful fall afternoon in Orchard Park or on Dodge and Jefferson, it is because of him. Almost all others would have taken the money and run like the Buffalo Braves. Look at the stats about Buffalo. Why in the world did he stay? Count your lucky stars.

Thank you. That's just what needed to be said.

One more time. There are NO Buffalo Bills without Ralph Wilson. There is no team here in 1960. There is no team when there were numerous profitable offerings throughout his 50 years to leave this dying city. There are no Super Bowl appearances. There is no stadium in Orchard Park. This is "Its a Wonderful Life" in all it dying city mode. It is unbelievable that he stayed. The only people who should really be upset is his family. He has cost them hundreds of millions of dollars by not moving to LA or Houston when he had the chance and the league would have let him.

So, all you whiners, sobbers and complainers about Ralph, if you have ever enjoyed a wonderful fall afternoon in Orchard Park or on Dodge and Jefferson, it is because of him. Almost all others would have taken the money and run like the Buffalo Braves. Look at the stats about Buffalo. Why in the world did he stay? Count your lucky stars.

So Ralph didn't move or sell because he loves Buffalo and its people so much? There could be multiple other reasons, including deals none of us know about that would explain his staying. But, you choose to believe (based on his strong philanthropic history and generous demeanor, I suppose) that the most flattering explanation to Ralph is correct. Does it seem in character for him to give up hundreds of millions of dollars out of the goodness of his heart? What is this estimate based on? Finally, to paraphrase your last paragraph ..."a crappy city deserves a crappy team so be happy with that crappy team". I just don't accept any of the premises or the conclusion in that statement.

So Ralph didn't move or sell because he loves Buffalo and its people so much? There could be multiple other reasons, including deals none of us know about that would explain his staying. But, you choose to believe (based on his strong philanthropic history and generous demeanor, I suppose) that the most flattering explanation to Ralph is correct. Does it seem in character for him to give up hundreds of millions of dollars out of the goodness of his heart? What is this estimate based on? Finally, to paraphrase your last paragraph ..."a crappy city deserves a crappy team so be happy with that crappy team". I just don't accept any of the premises or the conclusion in that statement.

How about the simple fact that Ralph did not believe that teams should move out of their area?

How about the simple fact that Ralph did not believe that teams should move out of their area?

Well, that was promised to congress at the time of the merger by the NFL so I concede that is a plausible explanation. If that's it then I applaud him for keeping his word when others did not.

Some other owner woulda ponied up the cash.. Ralph in the HOF is a a joke..Shoulda never happened..He should be more than judged on the ownership of his own franchise first and foremost and that record is abysmal..Bill Bidwell is next I suppose :ph34r:

Love the patch! Ive earned a 223 and a 231!

Agreed. To my recolection the NFL needed all 8 teams and if it werent for the Bills, and Ralph fronting Al Davis $400K that would have broken the deal. Im too young to know this. But thought I read that once. Someone please school me.

This. It is very true. What is also sometimes lost a little through the sands of time was how he helped the NE Patriots owner.