How is that Jason Peters trade looking now?

sharper802

Yeah, I wonder why that is?

Did you see either of them skipping OTAs, training camp, and preseason while demanding to renegotiate a contract that was redone just one season prior? :devil:

you're right, playing like overpaid second string defensive ends was definitely better

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that a winning organization believes that Peters deserves an upper tier contract while the losing organization doesn't? Why is it that the Bills haven't been in the playoffs for 9 consecutive years, this year makes it ten, and the Eagles have been in the NFC Championship game five out of ten years? The Eagles have a more competent owner, GM, coaching staff, scouting staff etc. than the losing Bills have. I have no qualms in trusting the Eagles' judgment in the Peter's matter over the clownish Bills' judgment. :devil:

Well, that's your prerogative. We'll see how good of a trade this was for both teams. But for $10M/year, Peters will have to be damn good, annually, to justify his contract.

Well, that's your prerogative. We'll see how good of a trade this was for both teams. But for $10M/year, Peters will have to be damn good, annually, to justify his contract.

schoebel makes 8 mil a year, sucks at what he does, and that doesn't seem to matter, and everyone on the o line made more than peters last year, and that didn't matter. and lee evans is turning out to be a huge disappointment, but that doesn't matter. lets just keep letting our best players go, keep these slugs, and not go to playoffs again for the next ten years

schoebel makes 8 mil a year, sucks at what he does, and that doesn't seem to matter, and everyone on the o line made more than peters last year, and that didn't matter. and lee evans is turning out to be a huge disappointment, but that doesn't matter. lets just keep letting our best players go, keep these slugs, and not go to playoffs again for the next ten years

And if the Bills let Schobel or Evans go, what would you be saying then? And we'll see just how much of a slug Peters becomes, now that he's gotten his payday.

And if the Bills let Schobel or Evans go, what would you be saying then? And we'll see just how much of a slug Peters becomes, now that he's gotten his payday.

evans is worth keeping, schoebel could be replaced with any de cut from any other team. the money could than be used to sign a good football player. watch what belichek does in these situations, the players that suck, get cut

and peters will do just fine, probably even see the playoffs this year and make even more money

and peters will do just fine, probably even see the playoffs this year and make even more money

The Eagles will be lucky to finish outside of the NFC East basement this year. The loss of Jim Johnson is huge, as is their starting MLB Stewart Bradley. Add-in that Westbrook has yet to suit-up and their O-line isn't set yet, and it could be a long year for them. But hey, that's why they play the games.

Well...not quite every coach, player, scout and fan that has a vote in probowl selections...

There is one ex-Buffalo Bill - an offensive lineman, no less - who went to Princeton so probably doesn't qualify as an idiot, and also actually happened to play alongside Peters, who not only thinks that Peters selection to last season's Pro Bowl was a freaking joke, but who also thinks that the whole Pro Bowl voting process is a freaking joke...

Link - NFL Pro Bowl voting among players should be consistent

So pardon me if I think your opinion on the subject vs his is less than worthless. :devil:

I don't think you want to bring up IVY leaguers and their football IQ at this time.... DJ was an IVY leaguer and still can't figure out how or when to call time out

Let me retract my "the Pro Bowl is a joke" statement and instead say that while the majority of players who get in deserve it, several do not and get in based on reputation/popularity. Peters was an example of the latter last year.

Again, about your pro bowl statement, fair enough. About Peters, it's arguable, which is why we're arguing. Looked to me, and to the players and coaches who voted him in, as if by the end of the year he was again playing at Pro Bowl level. But I would agree that if you throw in the first part of the season, the picture changes. IMHO, that's where the different opinions come from.

Yeah, I wonder why that is?

Did you see either of them skipping OTAs, training camp, and preseason while demanding to renegotiate a contract that was redone just one season prior? :devil:

Nope. Of course, I also didn't see them get paid based on their position and then switched to a different, much higher-paid decision months after the new contract was signed. Which is what happened to Peters.

Again, he was a Pro Bowler (and virtually nobody argues - well, a few loons, but nobody serious - that he didn't deserve it in 2007) who was the lowest-paid starter in the NFL at his position. That is just wrong, and is guaranteed to infuriate any player in the league.

I don't think you want to bring up IVY leaguers and their football IQ at this time.... DJ was an IVY leaguer and still can't figure out how or when to call time out

True - I'm not quite ready to condemn the entire Ivy League, but given the intellectual prowess of our last President and the current Bills head coach, one has to ponder, "Just WTF is going on in New Haven???" :)

True - I'm not quite ready to condemn the entire Ivy League, but given the intellectual prowess of our last President and the current Bills head coach, one has to ponder, "Just WTF is going on in New Haven???" :)

Proud tradition of shameless grade inflation.

You are an idiot. Plain and simple. You are everything that is wrong with intelligent fans that want to interact with other intelligent fans.

WoW! I don't think I've ever seen a post of yours that contained less than 25 words.

However, I do agree with what you just said.

As this season devolves, it'll be interesting to see this board transition into highlighting anything Peters does wrong. The guy had a bad 2008 season and according to Football Outsiders, was in the bottom 20 in taking offensive penalties and blown blocks.

The worse 2009 becomes, the easier it will be for Bills fans to go after Peters. I suspect Peters will eventually round into form and Philadelphia makes the playoffs.

It is pathetic when people focus on the issue of departed players when they refuse to look into the mirror and see the ugliness of their own reality. When all is said and done the odds are that the Eagles will have a successful season and the Bills will have another embarrasing season. The sad fact of the matter is that the Bills are an irrelevant organization in the NFL, and have been for a very long time. The Eagles have been a relevant team in the NFL, and have been for a very long time.

When Jason Peters was with the Bills he was payed less than the market rate and was stuck playing on a consistently losing team. Now, Jason Peters is getting payed at a market rate for upper tier LTs and he is playing for a playoff team. I'm sure he doesn't give a hoot about what the fans of his former team think of him and his contract. :)

you're right, playing like overpaid second string defensive ends was definitely better

Better than what? Did I say that?

Strange, but I have no recollection of saying anything like that, either. Now I have to think back about what I said yet again - you're making me tired...

No, I could not possibly have said that - the thread's still about Peters, isn't it?

I think it is, so let me just say that had he reported for OTAs, training camp, and preseason, no one would have been trying to "run Peters out of town" - even if he was the worst left tackle in the NFL last season (i.e., led the entire league, among blind-side tackles - in sacks-allowed).

No one said over-paying a player for under-performing was 'better' - you made a comment that "no one tried to run Schobel or Kelsey out of town like they did Peters, and I simply responded that the reason is because they didn't behave like ass holes. And I'm sure no one would have tried to 'run Peters out of town' either, had he simply shown up for work. (Well, maybe they would have, but for his dismal sacks-allowed #'s, not for his contract issues).

(And, BTW, some people actually ARE trying to run Kelsay and Schobel out of town, just as - I'm almost certain - a lot of Eagles fans will try to run FatBoy out of Philly before long.)

Nope. Of course, I also didn't see them get paid based on their position and then switched to a different, much higher-paid decision months after the new contract was signed. Which is what happened to Peters.

Yes - I'm expecting Demetrius Bell to walk out on his team any day now.

Again, he was a Pro Bowler (and virtually nobody argues - well, a few loons, but nobody serious - that he didn't deserve it in 2007) who was the lowest-paid starter in the NFL at his position. That is just wrong, and is guaranteed to infuriate any player in the league.

Yeah, and had he shown up for OTAs, training camp, and preseason , he may well have received a renegotiated contract based on his 2007 performance, rather than on his dismal 2008 showing.

Unfortunately - whether due to bad advice from his agent, his own stupidity, greed, and arrogance, or a combination thereof - he did skip OTAs, training camp, and preseason, he did let down his coaches, his teammates, and Bills fans, and he did have a schitty season.

Based on a schitty season and two consecutive years of season-ending injuries, the Bills handled the situation perfectly - as is now being borne out by Peters season-starting injury and sub-par performance in Philadelphia.

Spoken like someone who couldn't quite make it in :)

(I assure you, Cornell did not inflate my grades.)

Ha! Typical "Ivy League" (quotes for Cornell) response.

But, no, I didn't apply to such revered institutions. Also, my school didn't have an agricultural school to apply to as a way to get an "Ivy League" diploma.

Nope. Didn't need to attend even one of the lesser "Ivies" to achieve my career goals. Most people don't.

link