Anyone know what this was about...

hotwing

From Canada stupid? I care, my brother is serving our country over seas right now. My sister in law is in the Marines and my father is a vet. We all care about our flag and the way its treated. If it was up to me that would be your last post on this board.

Do you think Canadians don't care? Do you think we don't respect our flag? (or your flag for that matter). Do you think we don't have brothers serving, sister in laws, and Fathers serving and who have served? To me, your comment is just as classless as the :rolleyes: who said "who cares". :rolleyes:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh well, get over it, who cares

You really are annoying, but this just proves what kind of person in real life you are.....

hotwing I agree with you. I went to war and spent 20 years in the military. Throwing the flag to the ground represents disrespect for anyone who fought for what the stars and stripes and what it represent. billscursed is just a latte drinking what have you done for me lately that take everything for granted and just dont get it to understand what a sacrifice is. To me thats asking for a fight thats getting ready to happen.

Not really sure why SlamnSam is criticizing billsrcursed. Billsrcursed was annoyed with zazie in the same way that many of us are. It's not that zazie was totally wrong so much as it was his indifferent, light-hearted treatment of the issue IMO. Zazie apologized. I'm cool with that.

There's a lot of things that younger people don't know. Flag etiquette is one of them. I just watched the Solheim Cup a week ago. The girls were carrying the flags up to the stage during the opening ceremnony. Suffice it to say that most of them were carrying the flag like a cheap accessory. In fact almost every time I see an international sporting event it seems the athletes are clueless on how to handle their country's flag.

When you go to a sporting event, how often do you notice people not taking their hats off during the National Anthem?

Without knowing the facts I'm guessing that Sellers was (as zazie unfortunately expressed rather flippantly) that Sellers just wasn't thinking and didn't mean anything by it.

That's another thing that people of my generation have a hard time with...that irreverent "whatever," "get over it," attitude. Treating matters that are important to some in a cursory and flip fashion is insulting to those who believe that other people's concern's should be treated with respect. But that's probably an issue for another thread.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=290828028

An unsightly breach of patriotic etiquette: Redskins FB Mike Sellers, carrying the American flag onto the field during pregame introductions, flung the Stars and Stripes onto the ground near the 50-yard line. After a few seconds, LB Robert Hanson walked over and rescued the flag off the turf. ...

Didnt see the game, just curious if anyone saw it or heard any commentary from the anouncers regarding this.

Maybe suggesting someone needs to save are way of life from the hands of Obama

Link

Sellers says he meant no disrespect to the flag on Friday night and that he did it in the "heat of the moment." Sellers says he's aware of the proper conduct when it comes to the flag and should have known better, having grown up in an Army family.

I'm done with it now.

When you go to a sporting event, how often do you notice people not taking their hats off during the National Anthem?

Every Bills game I see at least three people in my section forget to remove their hats, and are gently reminded it's proper to do so. It's usually guys 50 years old and younger.

Something I noticed again this year at Canton during the Hall Of Fame Induction parade. Those small town mid-westerners (is Ohio considered mid-west?) know what to do. Every time a float or band or military group came through with a flag, everyone along the route would stand and take off their hats, till the flag went by. I've been to parades here in Syracuse, in fact one just a couple hours ago, and no one even moved any time a flag went by.

So, I was exactly right... and the Redskins have to shoulder part of the blame for the whole episode.

An unsightly breach of patriotic etiquette: Redskins FB Mike Sellers, carrying the American flag onto the field during pregame introductions, flung the Stars and Stripes onto the ground near the 50-yard line. After a few seconds, LB Robert Hanson walked over and rescued the flag off the turf.

Moments ago, a visibly chagrined Sellers addressed the media about the incident. "It's been brought to my attention," he said, "carrying the flag out yesterday that I didn't put it in the proper spot after carrying it out. I meant no disrepect. My father retired [after] thirty-something years, almost; I grew up as an army brat. I know the conduct when it comes to the flag, and I made a mistake by setting it down the way I did, and I'd like to apologize if I offended anybody out there.

"I was asked to bring it out last-minute, didn't know who to give it to, got hyped up, and put the flag down. Like I said, if I offended anyone I apologize. That is not me. I grew up in a military background. I know what it is to respect the flag, and I apologize. It was in the heat of the moment."

Every Bills game I see at least three people in my section forget to remove their hats, and are gently reminded it's proper to do so. It's usually guys 50 years old and younger.

Something I noticed again this year at Canton during the Hall Of Fame Induction parade. Those small town mid-westerners (is Ohio considered mid-west?) know what to do. Every time a float or band or military group came through with a flag, everyone along the route would stand and take off their hats, till the flag went by. I've been to parades here in Syracuse, in fact one just a couple hours ago, and no one even moved any time a flag went by.

Q: You know what's more annoying than people who don't take their hats off to show respect for the national anthem?

A: People who talk during the national anthem and say things like "Take off your hat".

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=290828028

An unsightly breach of patriotic etiquette: Redskins FB Mike Sellers, carrying the American flag onto the field during pregame introductions, flung the Stars and Stripes onto the ground near the 50-yard line. After a few seconds, LB Robert Hanson walked over and rescued the flag off the turf. ...

Didnt see the game, just curious if anyone saw it or heard any commentary from the anouncers regarding this.

So, I was exactly right... and the Redskins have to shoulder part of the blame for the whole episode.

An unsightly breach of patriotic etiquette: Redskins FB Mike Sellers, carrying the American flag onto the field during pregame introductions, flung the Stars and Stripes onto the ground near the 50-yard line. After a few seconds, LB Robert Hanson walked over and rescued the flag off the turf.

Moments ago, a visibly chagrined Sellers addressed the media about the incident. "It's been brought to my attention," he said, "carrying the flag out yesterday that I didn't put it in the proper spot after carrying it out. I meant no disrepect. My father retired [after] thirty-something years, almost; I grew up as an army brat. I know the conduct when it comes to the flag, and I made a mistake by setting it down the way I did, and I'd like to apologize if I offended anybody out there.

"I was asked to bring it out last-minute, didn't know who to give it to, got hyped up, and put the flag down. Like I said, if I offended anyone I apologize. That is not me. I grew up in a military background. I know what it is to respect the flag, and I apologize. It was in the heat of the moment."

Sounds reasonable to me...apology accepted.I dont think he meant it. Just a young kid screwing up.

Q: You know what's more annoying than people who don't take their hats off to show respect for the national anthem?

A: People who talk during the national anthem and say things like "Take off your hat".

Take off your hat so you don't need to be reminded. Or better, notice how everyone in the 10, 20, 30 rows in front of you are doing it.

Take off your hat so you don't need to be reminded. Or better, notice how everyone in the 10, 20, 30 rows in front of you are doing it.

Or let it go, and don't be the guy who disrespects the national anthem by talking during it. It actually makes you the bigger a-hole, because you are being disruptive, where as the other guy is just wearing a goddam hat. It's akin to hitting a child for hitting someone else.

hotwing I agree with you. I went to war and spent 20 years in the military. Throwing the flag to the ground represents disrespect for anyone who fought for what the stars and stripes and what it represent. billscursed is just a latte drinking what have you done for me lately that take everything for granted and just dont get it to understand what a sacrifice is. To me thats asking for a fight thats getting ready to happen.

WTF are you talking about???

Did you read my post??

I'm going to assume you screwed up the name and meant to say Zazie....

if not, please PM me with your thoughts as to what my post had to do with Latte, taking things for granted, or looking for a fight.

Either way, you should be more careful when typing.

I agreed with the OP and even went as far as to quote Zazie and suggest how disrespectful his post was. (BTW, Zazie did apologize for his post, not sure how much stock there is in it, but he DID apologize nonetheless)