Anyone know what this was about...

hotwing

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=290828028

An unsightly breach of patriotic etiquette: Redskins FB Mike Sellers, carrying the American flag onto the field during pregame introductions, flung the Stars and Stripes onto the ground near the 50-yard line. After a few seconds, LB Robert Hanson walked over and rescued the flag off the turf. ...

Didnt see the game, just curious if anyone saw it or heard any commentary from the anouncers regarding this.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=290828028

An unsightly breach of patriotic etiquette: Redskins FB Mike Sellers, carrying the American flag onto the field during pregame introductions, flung the Stars and Stripes onto the ground near the 50-yard line. After a few seconds, LB Robert Hanson walked over and rescued the flag off the turf. ...

Didnt see the game, just curious if anyone saw it or heard any commentary from the anouncers regarding this.

oh well, get over it, who cares

I would imagine most vets, like me care.

hotwing I agree with you. I went to war and spent 20 years in the military. Throwing the flag to the ground represents disrespect for anyone who fought for what the stars and stripes and what it represent. billscursed is just a latte drinking what have you done for me lately that take everything for granted and just dont get it to understand what a sacrifice is. To me thats asking for a fight thats getting ready to happen.

hotwing I agree with you. I went to war and spent 20 years in the military. Throwing the flag to the ground represents disrespect for anyone who fought for what the stars and stripes and what it represent. billscursed is just a latte drinking what have you done for me lately that take everything for granted and just dont get it to understand what a sacrifice is. To me thats asking for a fight thats getting ready to happen.

I strongly doubt the guy did it with any disrespect to the flag in mind. He didn't know the etiquette I am sure and someone sent him out without telling him where to put the flag or standing next to to grab it, he was intent on upcoming football game. His teammate did know the etiquette and picked it up and put it on the table or whatever,

Not every little gesture or error is worthy of taking offense over.

I strongly doubt the guy did it with any disrespect to the flag in mind. He didn't know the etiquette I am sure and someone sent him out without telling him where to put the flag or standing next to to grab it, he was intent on upcoming football game. His teammate did know the etiquette and picked it up and put it on the table or whatever,

Not every little gesture or error is worthy of taking offense over.

Your right I suppose its ok to call ignorance just because we dont understand. What American doesn't know that throwing the flag to the ground is disrespectful. Gee my 10 year old knows that.

Your right I suppose its ok to call ignorance just because we dont understand. What American doesn't know that throwing the flag to the ground is disrespectful. Gee my 10 year old knows that.

Not everyone grew up in your neighborhood. You really feel the guy did it with intentional malice?

Not everyone grew up in your neighborhood. You really feel the guy did it with intentional malice?

Yep. 100% Anyone with a rational thought process would assume that as well.

National TV, take the US flag throw it on the ground.

Yeah, he knew what the F he was doing, if not, he literally must be retarded.

So my point is, what is his reason for doing this?

Yep. 100% Anyone with a rational thought process would assume that as well.

National TV, take the US flag throw it on the ground.

Yeah, he knew what the F he was doing, if not, he literally must be retarded.

So my point is, what is his reason for doing this?

Whoever gave him the flag was equally responsible (was it the team or the NFL?) . THere should have been someone there to take the flag from him.

I imagine the guy was out on the field (I did not see it though) and there was nowhere handy to put it, so he dropped it or threw it on the sideline like he would a towel which I am sure he has done 100 times. He was focused on the game coming up, adrenaline, not thinking. Instinctive.

Innocent mistake, no dogs died, he did not mean offense. Just happened. Thats my thought.

It is invconceivable to me that he elected to protest the USA with this gesture.

Whoever gave him the flag was equally responsible (was it the team or the NFL?) . THere should have been someone there to take the flag from him.

I imagine the guy was out on the field (I did not see it though) and there was nowhere handy to put it, so he dropped it or threw it on the sideline like he would a towel which I am sure he has done 100 times. He was focused on the game coming up, adrenaline, not thinking. Instinctive.

Innocent mistake, no dogs died, he did not mean offense. Just happened. Thats my thought.

It is invconceivable to me that he elected to protest the USA with this gesture.

You do not throw the US flag on the ground like a towel you moron.

Who doesnt know that?

Do you?

Seriously, are defending him doing this???

Who doesnt know that?

Do you?

Just think it was an innocent mistake and not worthy of taking offense.

Not defending it, he shouldn't have done it, but, seems just a brain fart by the guy rather than a deliberate act of disrespect to the country or a social protest, happens.

Maybe Goodell should suspend him for a few games? Fine him $20,000?

You people are so unforgiving and rigid. I am sure you have done thoughtless things before too, just likely not on TV.

These things happen. Please.

Just think it was an innocent mistake and not worthy of taking offense.

Not defending it, he shouldn't have done it, but, seems just a brain fart by the guy rather than a deliberate act of disrespect to the country or a social protest, happens.

Maybe Goodell should suspend him for a few games? Fine him $20,000?

You people are so unforgiving and rigid. I am sure you have done thoughtless things before too, just likely not on TV.

These things happen. Please.

Perhaps what Sellers did wasnt deliberate, although it is still unbelievable that anyone wouldnt know how to treat our flag.

YOUR initial response to the thread was totally classless and stupid. Disrespectful to all who have sacrificed for our country. :rolleyes:

Perhaps what Sellers did wasnt deliberate, although it is still unbelievable that anyone wouldnt know how to treat our flag.

YOUR initial response to the thread was totally classless and stupid. Disrespectful to all who have sacrificed for our country. :rolleyes:

OK fair enough. My apologies to the veterans of the USA.

I did not mean that disrespecting the flag was trivial, more that this particular instance was likely not meant as disrespect, either, and therefore not a truly offensive thing. There are plenty out there (ie the French) who ARE doing things like mutilating our flag with full intent to insult and disrespect; I think ire is better saved for them than this guy.

Sorry to those who were offended and thanks for your service.

Who doesnt know that?

Do you?

How many people know that wearing a faded flag T-Shirt that says "Try To Burn This One" covered in hamburger grease and condiment stains is disrespectful to the flag. :rolleyes:

Until he explains himself I'll look at it as a very stupid thing to have done and reserve judgment. I am curious what his explanation will be and I'd also like to see the actual footage.

oh well, get over it, who cares

From Canada stupid? I care, my brother is serving our country over seas right now. My sister in law is in the Marines and my father is a vet. We all care about our flag and the way its treated. If it was up to me that would be your last post on this board.

From Canada stupid? I care, my brother is serving our country over seas right now. My sister in law is in the Marines and my father is a vet. We all care about our flag and the way its treated. If it was up to me that would be your last post on this board.

LOL

I suppose you pick and choose which parts of the constitution to respect as well?