Donte Whitner

Donte Whitner  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Pro or Anti Donte?

• Pro
    • Anti
    • Withholding my opinion until after this season

The reason I ask is because this seems to be a topic that comes up all of the time with my friends. He is as polarizing as JP and Flutie were but he is a SAFETY! So I am looking for my fellow TBD'ers to settle this for my friends and I. And please, save the, "Why does it have to be pro or anti?" Because, everyone I talk to and read on these message boards seems to have a very strong opinion on him either way.

Me personally, I wish I saw what other Pro D's see but I think he is limited. I think Anti D crowd has to get over the fact that we passed on Ngata (When Ngata scored yesterday I got about 4 phone calls saying, "HE SHOULD BE OURS!") But I think you call a spade a spade, he is small, limited in coverage and is simply just not an impact player at all. He is an average safety.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously you have to be anti-whitner. It is, after all, HIS fault that the Bills selected him at #8. And actual play on the field doesnt matter, only draft slot. Who cares if he's a good safety. If he isn't the best in the league, we should cut him because you need the best when drafting at #8.

Obviously you have to be anti-whitner. It is, after all, HIS fault that the Bills selected him at #8. And actual play on the field doesnt matter, only draft slot. Who cares if he's a good safety. If he isn't the best in the league, we should cut him because you need the best when drafting at #8.

I hated Whitner more with every play Ngata made against the Jets last night.

:thumbsup:

The reason I ask is because this seems to be a topic that comes up all of the time with my friends. He is as polarizing as JP and Flutie were but he is a SAFETY! So I am looking for my fellow TBD'ers to settle this for my friends and I. And please, save the, "Why does it have to be pro or anti?" Because, everyone I talk to and read on these message boards seems to have a very strong opinion on him either way.

Me personally, I wish I saw what other Pro D's see but I think he is limited. I think Anti D crowd has to get over the fact that we passed on Ngata (When Ngata scored yesterday I got about 4 phone calls saying, "HE SHOULD BE OURS!") But I think you call a spade a spade, he is small, limited in coverage and is simply just not an impact player at all. He is an average safety.

I don't really see this situation as being reduceable to pro or anti positions. Has Whitner come close to justifying his #8 overall draft position? No. Is he still a good football player? Yes. Should we, as Bills fans, hope that he plays well for as long as he's here? Again, yes. (But the fact that his bark is worse than his bite gets a little annoying after a while though.)

I said wait till after the season. I know what he can do at SS. Not many plays on the ball, but a solid tackler. I'm hoping the move to FS opens up things for him a little more as he will have more freedon in the defensive backfield to roam and actually make some plays. I always said he reminded me of a young Brian Dawkins so now he's playing the position that could prove me right or make me feel like a donkey for even mentioning him in the same breath. I hope it's not the latter of the two

I'm pro but would still have taken Ngata every time. How awesome would it be to have Ngata and Stroud on the field at the same time?!?!?!?! Yeah I know, we probably never would have traded for Stroud had we selected Ngata......I STILL WOULD HAVE!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

I think you should read what I wrote. I think the anti crowd should get over Ngata is what I said. I also never said he should be cut either. My point is that he is a very polarizing player. The cheap shot tackle agaisnt the Radiers is a perfect example of what he does and the reaction he causes amongst the fans. When I heard fans say that it was awesome and that Donte wasn't going to let that happen in his house, i was like "WHAT?" I thought it was a total bush league move! So the anti/pro question fits here. I wouldn't start the same poll for anyone else on this team other than Donte. His mouth gets him ito trouble along with his antics off of the field. So, even though I didn't come out and say it, I am Anti but it has nothing to do with #8 or Ngata. His average play doesn't equal up to his big mouth. That being said, I hope he proves me horribly wrong.

IMO, Ngata should be left out of any discussion of Whitner. Whitner's play on the field has absolutely nothing to do with Ngata's play in Baltimore. If anyone is upset about not selecting Ngata in the draft, that should be saved for a different poll. Do you think the FO screwed up not taking Ngata (for ex.)?

But, remember, football is a team sport and very few players have ever played in a vacuum being able to single handedly improve the fortunes of a franchise. Yes, in Baltimore, Ngata looks great. However, there's absolutely nothing to guarantee that he'd be playing anywhere remotely the same had he been in Buffalo these last few years. Given the talent around him and the coaching staff around him, I'd bet he'd look very average. For evidence to support my claim, look no further than Jim Leonhard.

So, how good has Whitner been for the Bills? Let me answer with another question. How good does anyone look on this poorly coached team?

You act is if Donte is a really good safety, but we complain because he isn't the best.

Explain to me how a defensive tackle, Haloti Ngata, has more career interceptions AND pass breakups than OUR FUKIN SAFETY Whitner?

You act is if Donte is a really good safety, but we complain because he isn't the best.

Explain to me how a defensive tackle, Haloti Ngata, has more career interceptions AND pass breakups than OUR FUKIN SAFETY Whitner?

Explain to me what Haloti Ngata has to do with Donte Whitner. If you can manage that, please explain to me how the Bills and the Ravens run similar systems and have similar talent levels.

IMO, Ngata should be left out of any discussion of Whitner. Whitner's play on the field has absolutely nothing to do with Ngata's play in Baltimore. If anyone is upset about not selecting Ngata in the draft, that should be saved for a different poll. Do you think the FO screwed up not taking Ngata (for ex.)?

But, remember, football is a team sport and very few players have ever played in a vacuum being able to single handedly improve the fortunes of a franchise. Yes, in Baltimore, Ngata looks great. However, there's absolutely nothing to guarantee that he'd be playing anywhere remotely the same had he been in Buffalo these last few years. Given the talent around him and the coaching staff around him, I'd bet he'd look very average. For evidence to support my claim, look no further than Jim Leonhard.

So, how good has Whitner been for the Bills? Let me answer with another question. How good does anyone look on this poorly coached team?

Do you realize that Ngata had as many interceptions last year as Donte's had his entire career?

Explain to me what Haloti Ngata has to do with Donte Whitner. If you can manage that, please explain to me how the Bills and the Ravens run similar systems and have similar talent levels.

They are linked to Bills fans. An obvious pick when you have no defensive tackles is to take the 345lb run stuffing DT that can also rush the QB. The Bills chose the safety that has a good attitude. Now one is succeeding and the other isn't, which causes Bills fans to say "I told you so."

Ngata doesn't effect whether Donte is a good player or not. But he IS much better, and the Bills DID screw that one up. Like it or not, they will be mentioned in the same breath for quite some time.