WVU's Notes and Observations

1st Quarter

Whichever commentator, I think it was Tasker, said a successful QB needs a 5 to 1 TD:INT ratio is nuts. 2:1 seemed to be the league average with no one being over 3:1

So many of Trent’s INTs are coming off tipped passes, but they still seem to really rattle his cage and get him out of his rhythm.

Bryan Scott has looked very good against the run, but not so much in coverage.

Donald Lee manhandled Kawika Mitchell the entire first series.

Keith Ellison did a nice job sneaking in behind Kyle Williams to make a big stop on 4th down.

On the second offensive series Trent just looked plain lost out there. He needs to spend more time studying the 3-4 defense.

CBs playing off the line of scrimmage inside the red zone is very dangerous and more often than not results in a TD pass.

On the Bills 3rd possession, Fred Jackson did a very good job picking up blitzes and gave TE plenty of opportunities to make something happen. Demetrius Bell looked very athletic at LT against the GB starters. Still the Bills could not move the ball.

Jon Corto looks like he really hit the weights this offseason.

The Bills pass rush looks non-existent again tonight.

Buffalo’s starters on both sides do not look ready to start the season even with the extra week of practices and an extra game. That’s poor coaching.

Jauron’s schemes and style lacks any originality on his part. Very vanilla like it was copy and pasted from a text book.

2nd Quarter

Sloppy play on both sides of the ball leads to a loss every time. Mental mistakes were abound so far.

Schobel only seems to create pressure from the outside of the LT, but more often than not is forced inside and stopped up.

Ellison’s run defense looks improved. Sometimes playing for your job is the best motivation.

McGee looks awful defending in the red zone.

Leodis McKelvin looks out of practice returning kicks tonight. Perhaps giving Bruce Hall so many opportunities out there was a mistake?

Shawn Nelson has looked pretty good and I would like to see him continue to create mismatches out of the slot position.

Starting offense should be ready to start the season at this point and they are far from it.

Fitzpatrick and Jenkins seem to have no chemistry as they still can’t hook up when needed. Jenkins just does not impress me as a WR prospect.

Is Jordy Nelson the next Joe Jurevicius because he looks like a great possession WR, but then again it could just be Buffalo’s coverage.

Spencer Johnson looks like a man on a mission and is firing off the ball very well creating havoc.

Reggie Corner had a nice interception against Brohm.

With under a minute to go and being down 3 scores, the Bills showed no urgency to move the ball downfield and at least put some points on the board. I know its preseason, but when your team is coming off a season where scoring was limited, it should be a primary focus of your preseason work.

Seth McKinney needs to go. Still watching him make a fool of himself again so far.

Brian Brohm is a very smart QB and could develop into a starter at this rate. GB looks to have a solid stable of QBs right now.

The government should give Ralph Wilson the $4,500 cash for clunkers rebate if he fires Jauron and replaces him with a more effective coach. Sorry DJ, I supported you all the way until the Browns game last year. Coaches need to adapt and you just don’t seem to want to, or know how to. Perhaps college would be a better venue for your skills.

3rd Quarter

Didn’t get to see the opening series of the half, but it looks like McCargo forced a fumble that backed GB up on first down.

Fitzpatrick is one of a few players that seems to be improving every week.

Was it just me or did the sack on Fitzpatrick look like a blatant horse collar?

Chuckled to myself when I saw that Connors and Ferris law firm is donating money to Hunter’s Hope for every red zone touchdown this year. I guess they saved themselves some money rather than donating for every field goal.

Stupar continues to make big plays out there. It would be an incredible injustice if he does not make the roster this year.

Why on 4th and 2 is there no RB in the backfield? Horrible Call

Hey Zazie, looks like Jairus Byrd is out there on the field. I thought he was going to miss time all the way into the season?

Nic Harris is still looking very effective in coverage.

I feel bad for Frischknecht, such a horrible way to lose your rookie season. I wish him the best in his recovery.

Why is Hall still getting playtime on returns? Didn’t we see enough of him in the first two games?

Desmond Bishop looks like a real player out there. He’s definitely improved going into his third season.

4th Quarter

Nice pass rush by Chris Ellis, but needs to keep his hands away from the QB’s head to avoid penalties.

Copeland Bryan is going to find a way back onto this roster yet. I’m very impressed with his improvement over last year.

Hamdan and the 3rd team offense did a good job moving the ball out there. If nothing else, Buffalo has some nice depth this year.

I’m very disappointed with where the Bills are at this point in the preseason. By your third game a team should be looking ready to play regular season games. Buffalo is a long way from that point right now. Trent Edwards looked flustered and nervous out there after the first interception. He’s got to keep his poise out there after a bad play instead of digging himself into a hole. He’s also still having a lot of trouble reading the 3-4. He has to improve upon this soon or the Bills are going to be in big trouble this year.

The Defense also took a step backwards this week. Again the CBs are getting beat consistently by underneath routes when they play 10 yards off the WRs. Am I the only one seeing this? The pass rush on 1st team was pretty much non-existent again this week. I don’t think Maybin’s presence is going to be enough to help here. More 5 and 6 man rushes might help.

I hate to jump on the bash on DJ bandwagon, but truly I’m tired of watching the same game plan every week with little to no change for any opponent. The offensive and defensive schemes are way too predictable. I know it’s the preseason and perhaps the Bills are saving their tricks for week 1 against the Pats*, but if the past is any predictor the Bills will just keep trying to plug in the same old routine and hope for breaks to go their way.

1st Quarter

Whichever commentator, I think it was Tasker, said a successful QB needs a 5 to 1 TD:INT ratio is nuts. 2:1 seemed to be the league average with no one being over 3:1

So many of Trent’s INTs are coming off tipped passes, but they still seem to really rattle his cage and get him out of his rhythm.

Keith Ellison did a nice job sneaking in behind Kyle Williams to make a big stop on 4th down.

On the second offensive series Trent just looked plain lost out there. He needs to spend more time studying the 3-4 defense.

CBs playing off the line of scrimmage inside the red zone is very dangerous and more often than not results in a TD pass.

On the Bills 3rd possession, Fred Jackson did a very good job picking up blitzes and gave TE plenty of opportunities to make something happen. Demetrius Bell looked very athletic at LT against the GB starters. Still the Bills could not move the ball.

Buffalo’s starters on both sides do not look ready to start the season even with the extra week of practices and an extra game. That’s poor coaching.

Jauron’s schemes and style lacks any originality on his part. Very vanilla like it was copy and pasted from a text book.

2nd Quarter

Sloppy play on both sides of the ball leads to a loss every time. Mental mistakes were abound so far.

Schobel only seems to create pressure from the outside of the LT, but more often than not is forced inside and stopped up.

Ellison’s run defense looks improved. Sometimes playing for your job is the best motivation.

Leodis McKelvin looks out of practice returning kicks tonight. Perhaps giving Bruce Hall so many opportunities out there was a mistake?

Shawn Nelson has looked pretty good and I would like to see him continue to create mismatches out of the slot position.

Starting offense should be ready to start the season at this point and they are far from it.

Fitzpatrick and Jenkins seem to have no chemistry as they still can’t hook up when needed. Jenkins just does not impress me as a WR prospect.

Is Jordy Nelson the next Joe Jurevicius because he looks like a great possession WR, but then again it could just be Buffalo’s coverage.

Spencer Johnson looks like a man on a mission and is firing off the ball very well creating havoc.

With under a minute to go and being down 3 scores, the Bills showed no urgency to move the ball downfield and at least put some points on the board. I know its preseason, but when your team is coming off a season where scoring was limited, it should be a primary focus of your preseason work.

Seth McKinney needs to go. Still watching him make a fool of himself again so far.

Brian Brohm is a very smart QB and could develop into a starter at this rate. GB looks to have a solid stable of QBs right now.

The government should give Ralph Wilson the $4,500 cash for clunkers rebate if he fires Jauron and replaces him with a more effective coach. Sorry DJ, I supported you all the way until the Browns game last year. Coaches need to adapt and you just don’t seem to want to, or know how to. Perhaps college would be a better venue for your skills.

3rd Quarter

Didn’t get to see the opening series of the half, but it looks like McCargo forced a fumble that backed GB up on first down.

Chuckled to myself when I saw that Connors and Ferris law firm is donating money to Hunter’s Hope for every red zone touchdown this year. I guess they saved themselves some money rather than donating for every field goal.

Stupar continues to make big plays out there. It would be an incredible injustice if he does not make the roster this year.

Hey Zazie, looks like Jairus Byrd is out there on the field. I thought he was going to miss time all the way into the season?

I feel bad for Frischknecht, such a horrible way to lose your rookie season. I wish him the best in his recovery.

Why is Hall still getting playtime on returns? Didn’t we see enough of him in the first two games?

Desmond Bishop looks like a real player out there. He’s definitely improved going into his third season.

4th Quarter

Nice pass rush by Chris Ellis, but needs to keep his hands away from the QB’s head to avoid penalties.

Copeland Bryan is going to find a way back onto this roster yet. I’m very impressed with his improvement over last year.

Hamdan and the 3rd team offense did a good job moving the ball out there. If nothing else, Buffalo has some nice depth this year.

I’m very disappointed with where the Bills are at this point in the preseason. By your third game a team should be looking ready to play regular season games. Buffalo is a long way from that point right now. Trent Edwards looked flustered and nervous out there after the first interception. He’s got to keep his poise out there after a bad play instead of digging himself into a hole. He’s also still having a lot of trouble reading the 3-4. He has to improve upon this soon or the Bills are going to be in big trouble this year.

The Defense also took a step backwards this week. Again the CBs are getting beat consistently by underneath routes when they play 10 yards off the WRs. Am I the only one seeing this? The pass rush on 1st team was pretty much non-existent again this week. I don’t think Maybin’s presence is going to be enough to help here. More 5 and 6 man rushes might help.

I hate to jump on the bash on DJ bandwagon, but truly I’m tired of watching the same game plan every week with little to no change for any opponent. The offensive and defensive schemes are way too predictable. I know it’s the preseason and perhaps the Bills are saving their tricks for week 1 against the Pats*, but if the past is any predictor the Bills will just keep trying to plug in the same old routine and hope for breaks to go their way.

No need to change what works and get away from your bread and butter. <_<

1st Quarter

2nd Quarter

3rd Quarter

4th Quarter

Very happy to have been mistaken. The bills with DJ bring out a pessimism in me; once in a while it is unjustified. Often, though....

Now lets hope Byrd>Brown (and Maybin>Orakpo). They will boith have to overcome the coaching to be better though...

I was unable to watch the game. After reading everything here I do'nt know if I want to watch the replay on NFL Network tomorrow.

Exactly what I was thinking, Mark.

Thanks, WVU, for the great commentary.

And did you know that the Bills DB coach is legally blind? The Bills participate in the NFL Blind Coaches Program. No other team has opted to join them, though.

Actually, playing 10 yards off the line helps our DBs get to the end zone quicker, and helps to speed up the game.

1st Quarter

2nd Quarter

3rd Quarter

4th Quarter

Typical Schonert crap. So easy to play D when there is no threat of running. I hate when he does this.

And as you noted during the game, their love affair with the shotgun this preseason.

I don't have a problem with the shotgun, I think it can be useful for them and I actually like the 2rb shotgun set from time to time. What I hate seeing is a team line up with 10 guys on the line and only the QB in the backfield on a 4th and 2 and think they're going to fool someone. Unless they went for the endzone on the play it was doomed from the start and this is the kind of crap that needs to stop.

Also, why aren't we running any play action other than when Hamdan is on the field? Lynch, Jackson, and Rhodes, and even to an extent McIntyre are pretty damn good running backs and using them as a decoy once in a while might help some WRs get open for a change.

Another observation that didn't get added in last night is how the No-Huddle is being run. While I do like that we are running it, I would expect to see more tempo control being used with it. Right now most plays are being in the same time frame as a huddle and we're GIVING teams time to substitute and make changes. That is defeating the purpose of the no-huddle when you let the other team set up the way they want to set up.

Another observation that didn't get added in last night is how the No-Huddle is being run. While I do like that we are running it, I would expect to see more tempo control being used with it. Right now most plays are being in the same time frame as a huddle and we're GIVING teams time to substitute and make changes. That is defeating the purpose of the no-huddle when you let the other team set up the way they want to set up.

What they appear to be doing, and I'm not sure it's a terrible idea, is they run the no-huddle all the time -- and go to a hurry up as soon as they get a first down or make a substantial play -- to try to build momentum and keep the defense off balance just when things are working. Problem was, they didn't make many first downs, especially early.

I like the concept of that, because I don't really like a no huddle when they never go hurry-up, and you can't go hurry up all the time especially with this new line and our defense. We'll have to see if that strategy can work or not.

1st Quarter

5:1 is outrageous. The only QB I know of with a 5:1 TD:INT ratio is Graham Harrell (45 TDs, 9 INTs in 2008) - but then, he had the benefit of having a Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator by the name of...

Mike Leach

I don't have a problem with the shotgun, I think it can be useful for them and I actually like the 2rb shotgun set from time to time. What I hate seeing is a team line up with 10 guys on the line and only the QB in the backfield on a 4th and 2 and think they're going to fool someone. Unless they went for the endzone on the play it was doomed from the start and this is the kind of crap that needs to stop.

Also, why aren't we running any play action other than when Hamdan is on the field? Lynch, Jackson, and Rhodes, and even to an extent McIntyre are pretty damn good running backs and using them as a decoy once in a while might help some WRs get open for a change.

A run handoff play from the shotgun is by definition a deep hand-off. So there's some trade-offs. Your back can pick holes as they develop, vs. defenders getting a good view of what's going on, for one. A LB laying back sniffs what's going on - he's coming in.

I still have my reservations about BUF using so much of a no-huddle. They have a jumbled-up OL...rookies, a new center, a RT playing LT.

My preference is to generally huddle, to get everybody on the same page. Use the NH as a change-of-pace. I worry about missed line assignments, and then the QB getting splattered, and turn-overs. And crowd noise is a consideration, especially on the road.

Adding hurry-up to it to try to catch the defenders off balance or with unfavorable personnel - great when it works, but sometimes you outsmart yourself...offsides, movement, a wide-out not covering the line, for example. There's also the idea of wearing out defenders vs. wearing out your own offense or having quick 3-and-outs, and then tiring your own defense. Roll dem bones! :worthy:

This past Thursday, NE* used the no-huddle/shotgun combo against CIN when Brady was in (10 of 13 snaps). An experienced line, QB, and playing at home. They only ran the no-huddle in 4 other snaps when their back-up QBs were playing.

But we will see - BUF seems committed to it.

A run handoff play from the shotgun is by definition a deep hand-off. So there's some trade-offs. Your back can pick holes as they develop, vs. defenders getting a good view of what's going on, for one. A LB laying back sniffs what's going on - he's coming in.

I still have my reservations about BUF using so much of a no-huddle. They have a jumbled-up OL...rookies, a new center, a RT playing LT.

My preference is to generally huddle, to get everybody on the same page. Use the NH as a change-of-pace. I worry about missed line assignments, and then the QB getting splattered, and turn-overs. And crowd noise is a consideration, especially on the road.

Adding hurry-up to it to try to catch the defenders off balance or with unfavorable personnel - great when it works, but sometimes you outsmart yourself...offsides, movement, a wide-out not covering the line, for example. There's also the idea of wearing out defenders vs. wearing out your own offense or having quick 3-and-outs, and then tiring your own defense. Roll dem bones! :rolleyes:

This past Thursday, NE* used the no-huddle/shotgun combo against CIN when Brady was in (10 of 13 snaps). An experienced line, QB, and playing at home. They only ran the no-huddle in 4 other snaps when their back-up QBs were playing.

But we will see - BUF seems committed to it.

Re the no huddle, I've see Jim Kelly, and, Trent, you ain't no Jim Kelly.

Yeah, I really can't blame McKelvin (I think it was him) on a TD pass GB has the receiver at the 5 or 6 yard line, while our DB is at the goal line, before the snap.

For crying out loud, this is a play you set-up in Madden: DB off the receiver, you are in the shadow of the goal post, audible your receiver to an inside slant, TD celebration, kick the extra point.

Re the no huddle, I've see Jim Kelly, and, Trent, you ain't no Jim Kelly.

Well, there's quite a difference between a vet like Kelly with a set, experienced OL, vs. Edwards with a mish-mosh OL.

That's one reason why I question their heavy usage of it so far. Personally, I wouldn't use it to the extent they have showed to date. It strikes me as gimmicky, something to excite the fans and pump up ticket sales.

I like young QBs and young lines to chat things over before they line up.

Who knows? With their new-found WR height, they might talk about having the receivers run some more fade or fade stop routes...